Port and Polished my intake and exhuast

00_slow_5spd_ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 00 LS6. I've got an Xcal2, for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.
I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.
Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Lincolns.

Let me get this straight: You put sand into your running engine?????

If I read that right, better go out and look for a new motor. Having sand sucked into your intake ports will not remove metal to do a port and polish job. The head has to be off of the car!!!

I REALLY hope you are kidding. If you are not, you just killed your motor. Porting and Polishing are not done with the engine put together. You take apart the engine and port and polish it.

YOUR KIDDING RIGHT???

After reading that I am at a loss for words. At least it was a joke. I just can't imagine someone actually doing that. But I have been wrong before.

When I did Car Audio I actually had a kid want to port his bass tubes. The only problem was that they were 5 gallon buckets that he had duct taped the subs into!!! So I told him to cut out the little circles in the bottom of the buckets and that should do it.

cardboard_ricer.jpg

Damn dude, I nearly had a heart attack; someone putting sand into a running engine to port and polish. When I read the title I thought you had it done professionally, geez.

"Let me get this straight. You sucked sand directly intro your engine and thought it would help anything? Are you f***ing retarted? Why the hell you think that they put air filters on cars? I can't come up with the words.?!?!?!?!
" lmao..

u guys are something else. how much time you guys must have to unearth such things. freakin' hilarious non-the-less!

If you live in RI you should really be using beach sand. If you don't, you need to add some salt to the blasting media to balance the ambient salt content of the air in your location. Not doing this can cause your catalitic converter to seize and block the exhaust pipes, which in turn, can cause a massive expolsion of the exhaust manifold. Maybe that's why your check engine light came on.

Good luck!

Also, were you starting with coarser sand and working your way up?

I started with gravel. This gets rid of any rough obstructions and also adds a cool "CLANG CLANG" to the engine.

After that move up to regular beach sand. This continues to get rid of any finer obstructions.

After this you must comb the beaches to find finer and finer sand until you have the smoothness and polish that you want.

It's just like sandpaper, you start out coarse and work your way down.

^^Lol. Whilst at the beach collecting fine sand, get a jar and gather some seafoam, no point in needlessly shelling out! Finish off with liberal squirts of anti - seas. :D That, or KY Jelly..........................................................................fish lube.

Remember that KY jelly is only avaiable from seafish from Kentucky!!!

Members online

Back