What % tint you got upon yo window?

midi_junkie

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im getting the old girl tinted.. ive got AL plates (thank god in this situation) but live in LA..... i can have like 30 all around... any suggestions as to what percent youd get on an LS? im gonna get as dark as i can get plus a few shades.. hehe.... but some input would still be nice.

I live in LA too, kind of.

I got 25 on the back and 35 up front. Got pulled over the other night for suspected drunk driving (Sober, long story) and they didn't say :q:q:q:q about my tint.

Heres the state regs.. i think net is the total amount of light that can be let thru the car... film is specifically how much goes through that actual window. "No officer.. when i bought the car... it was already on there."

State Window Tinting Laws
STATE FRONT
SIDES REAR
SIDES BACK
WINDOW VISOR NET/FILM
AL 32% 32% 32% 6" NET
AK 70% 40% 40% 5" NET
AZ 33% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET
AR 25% 25% 10% 5" NET
CA 70% ANY% ANY% 4" NET
CO* 27% 27% 27% 4" NET
CO* NO% ANY% ANY% 4" NET
CT 35% 35% ANY% AS1 NET
DE 70% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET
FL 28% 15% 15% AS1 NET
GA 32% 32% 32% 6" NET
HI 35% 35% 35% 4" NET
ID 35% 20% 35% AS1 FILM
IL NO ANY% ANY% 6" NET
IN 30% 30% 30% AS1 ?
IA 70% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET
KS 35% 35% 35% AS1 NET
KY 35% 18% 18% AS1 FILM
LA 40% 25% 12% AS1 NET
MA 35% 35% 35% 6" NET
ME 50% 50% 50% 4" FILM
MD 35% 35% 35% 5" NET
MI ? ANY% ANY% 4" NET
MN 50% 50% 50% NO ?
MO 35% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET
MS 35% 35% 35% AS1 NET
MT 35% 20% 20% AS1 FILM
NE 35% 20% 20% AS1 OR 5" FILM
NV 35% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET
NH NO 35% 35% 6" NET
NJ NO ANY% ANY% NO NET
NM 20% 20% 20% AS1 OR 5" NET
NY 70% 70% ANY% 6" NET
NC 35% 35% 35% AS1 NET
ND 50% ANY% ANY% 70% NET
OH 50% ANY% ANY% 70% NET
OK 25% 25% 25% AS1 OR 5" NET
OR 35% 35% 35% 6" NET
PA 70% 70% 70% NO NET
RI 70% 70% 70% AS1 NET
SC 27% 27% 27% AS1 NET
SD 35% 20% 20% AS1 NET
TN 35% 35% 35% AS1 NET
TX 25% 25% ANY% AS1 OR 5" NET
UT 43% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET
VT NO ANY% ANY% AS1 NET
VA 50% 35% 35% AS1 NET
WA 35% 35% 35% 6" FILM
WV 35% 35% 35% 5" NET
WI 50% 35% 35% AS1 NET
WY 28% 28% 28% AS1 OR 5" NET

i had 15% on my 98 mark VIII all the way around, on my old 93, i had 15 on the quarter windows and rear, and 25 on the front doors for my wife, doesnt like it dark at night. on my 97 mark VIII i had 5 % limo tint and it sucked at night but looked awesome! my pick up has 20% on it.

i got 15% all around and have never even been questioned about it by cops, and trust me, in Prairie Village, they dont have anything better to do.
2511312_23_full.jpg

I also have 15% tint on the sides and back, live in So.Cal., drive a red car, and I have never had a problem with the tinting. But, that's not to say that you won't have a problem if you go with a too dark tint. I think that 35% would be a good compromise.

4.jpg

According to the deputy my driver's side window is at 17% tint. I remember specifically telling the window tinting people to make it as dark that is legal and they gave me a receipt. I can't find the receipt and now I owe a $76.50 ticket. It was a nice way for the deputy to wish me a Merry Christmas. I've had the tint on for 3.5 years. First time in over 7 years that I even got a ticket.

I think you should get as dark as possible. We need more people ticketed so they can fund various public works projects. :D

i have 20 front and back with 15 on the back windshield...i have gotten some looks from cops but never pulled over for it. i kinda wish i went darker now though

Heres the state regs.. i think net is the total amount of light that can be let thru the car... film is specifically how much goes through that actual window. "No officer.. when i bought the car... it was already on there."

That is not entirely correct. NET visible light transmittance (VLT) is the measure of the total of the window + tint, where FILM is only the measure of the tint applied to the factory window. Since most vehicle windows are factory tinted a little bit (not more than 90% VLT) a NET measure is more practicle since the officier will use a light meter to measure your window+tint if he is going to issue you a citation. It would be hard for him to measure the tint by itself once it was placed on your window. In addition to this most states require a certification from the tinting shop to be placed on the driver's window stating where it was done and what level tint was applied. Most shops do not do this since is not astetically appealing.

I would recommend putting 35% tint on all your windows. This will keep you at the legal level (32% NET) since the factory windows are tinted slightly. I have 35% on my windows as well and it is pleanty dark enough, but I can still see at night. One other thing to consider is your interior color. I have dove/shale interior and that does lighten the appearance of my tint from the outside. If your interior is black the tinting will appear darker from the outside compared to mine.

In the end it is your ride and you should get what you will be happy with. Be sure to find a reputable shop and ask to see some of their work prior to getting yours done. Tinting is pretty easy to do but not every Cleatus and Betsy shop can do it well. (speaking from past experience)

Oh and another thing, it won't matter to the officier if you bought the car with the tint on it or not. You are the one operating the vehicle on public roads. Dealers are supposed to make the vehicle legal for sale in the state in which it is sold (such as putting on a front plate in certain states, or removing illegal tint).

sideshot.jpg

sideshot.jpg

Last edited:
i suggest 35% all around, but if you have something to hide, go with 5%.

I have the darkess on the board.:D

5% on the front doors and 1% on the rear doors and back window.

Its illegal in Illinios. Thats at I am going to say.:rolleyes:

LS Car show 001.jpg

not dark enough.

That is not entirely correct. NET visible light transmittance (VLT) is the measure of the total of the window + tint, where FILM is only the measure of the tint applied to the factory window. Since most vehicle windows are factory tinted a little bit (not more than 90% VLT) a NET measure is more practicle since the officier will use a light meter to measure your window+tint if he is going to issue you a citation. It would be hard for him to measure the tint by itself once it was placed on your window. In addition to this most states require a certification from the tinting shop to be placed on the driver's window stating where it was done and what level tint was applied. Most shops do not do this since is not astetically appealing.

I would recommend putting 35% tint on all your windows. This will keep you at the legal level (32% NET) since the factory windows are tinted slightly. I have 35% on my windows as well and it is pleanty dark enough, but I can still see at night. One other thing to consider is your interior color. I have dove/shale interior and that does lighten the appearance of my tint from the outside. If your interior is black the tinting will appear darker from the outside compared to mine.

In the end it is your ride and you should get what you will be happy with. Be sure to find a reputable shop and ask to see some of their work prior to getting yours done. Tinting is pretty easy to do but not every Cleatus and Betsy shop can do it well. (speaking from past experience)

Oh and another thing, it won't matter to the officier if you bought the car with the tint on it or not. You are the one operating the vehicle on public roads. Dealers are supposed to make the vehicle legal for sale in the state in which it is sold (such as putting on a front plate in certain states, or removing illegal tint).

View attachment 31466

thats effin awesome looking... perfect for me. i live in LA as in the state... the state is poor so people get tickets for flickin butts and j walking.. seriously. ill roll out of the place and get one on me as soon as i pull out. btw.. what kind of tint does everyone use? the one im gonna use starts with an 'm' but i forgot the name.. lifetime warranty for $250.00
. it better be good shiz.
I have the darkess on the board.:D

5% on the front doors and 1% on the rear doors and back window.

Its illegal in Illinios. Thats at I am going to say.:rolleyes:

i have double limo on the back and 5 % on the fronts im from michigan and the 4 " on the fronts only matters if the cops a d*&k and my last town cat had double limo all around best kind in my oppinion

No LS but I plan to go w/ legal besides the two side rear windows, going alil darker on them because they are useless unless you sit back there. Have dark interior well make it look darker than it is anyway so legal well be fine.

limo in the back, 35% in the front.

i dont know what year that tint chart is from but im pretty sure its either out of date, or brand new. because when i had my tint done about a year ago, 35% was darkest legal on front windows in texas. (chart says 25%)

I too have 20% all around, but with my black on black car, it looks just as dark as my buddy's car with 5%. I love the look, but sometimes the 35% looks classier, and turning at night is already not fun with 20, I cant imagine 5.

Members online

No members online now.
Back