What not to do to your Optima battery & Warning

Silver02Sport

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just thought some of you would like to see this. Apparently it shifted slightly and the retention bar made contact with the positive terminal don't know how long it was like this. Well I pulled the bar and checked the batt. no leaks or damage to the cell's well that and a total lack of money caused me to contuine using it for about 3 months till yesterday.

The new Optima I bought came with some adapters that once on fit perfectly.

Optima.jpg

Just thought some of you would like to see this. Apparently it shifted slightly and the retention bar made contact with the positive terminal don't know how long it was like this. Well I pulled the bar and checked the batt. no leaks or damage to the cell's well that and a total lack of money caused me to contuine using it for about 3 months till yesterday.

The new Optima I bought came with some adapters that once on fit perfectly.

DUDE!!! That hapened to me too with my yellow top Optima and the retention bar a few months ago!!!!! Crazy!! I was driving on the freeway and my car just shut off completely and i smelled smoke!!! Damn i thought it was a freak accident but i guess it can really happen again. I took the retention bar off and took the battery back to Costco and got a replacement. Damn man...i feel u on this one. G luck!

DUDE!!! That hapened to me too with my yellow top Optima and the retention bar a few months ago!!!!! Crazy!! I was driving on the freeway and my car just shut off completely and i smelled smoke!!!

I thought It happening to me sucked but on the highway dam! But I got to say considering that I have know idea how long it was grounding out (I put it in when bought the car about 2 years ago) the fact it worked flawlessly for 3 months till it just died other then the occasional hard start and that it was at lest 5 years old really shows the quality of the Optima Oh ya something should be said about the LS ran for a good amount of time with its electrical system grounded out never once giving me any reason to think there was something wrong.

Wow that is/was a good battery.

I had just finished painting the engine compartment and had not put a battery tray back in yet and had to move the car - the battery slid over and the positive terminal touched the inner fender lip - put a nice quarter size hole all the way through.

they're gel cells..... it happens, you're very lucky my friend.

Actually it's not a Gell Cell... it's AGM... Absorbed glass mat Further, they do actually vent... the two little round disks on the top of the battery are vent valves although they typically only vent under high voltage charging.

After seeing this, even though I dont have an optima, it makes me want to wrap my retention bar with electrical tape.

I had something bad happen with my optima but it was also my fault, I was running 0 gauge wire to my amp and I had a fused link above the false floor and were the floor was resting on the cable it actual rubbed threw the casing and grounded out to the car, Lots of sparks and smoke but that god the cheap (wal-mart) battery cable end melted off the side of the battery before things got really interesting.

Members online

Back