00'LS8 vs. Honda S2000

Its kinda gay that so many kids are getting on here AGAIN and posting their racing stories. One trend i have noticed is there are alot of older 1st gen. LS's being bought by young kids. Must be some really cheap prices on '00-'02 out there for the kiddies to afford.

sorry i bought 2000 LS, it was the best car i could get for the price. I didn't buy it to race with, i just wanted a comfortable car that didn't look dopey on the outside and got decent mpg. btw, i'm 20, i don't race, and am not interested in "tricking" my car out. Thanks for stereotyping me though. Oh, and the 2000 ls won motortrend car of the year, not the 2005, so don't be dissing it.

to the old dude: i am 22, i do work for a living, i have paid for everything i have done to MY car, and im only going to live once, so if i want to race MY car at 1am w/ little to no traffic, im probably going to do it.

and, and... it was FUN.

Come on man, aren't you the one posting about racing a G35 or something on the freeway to 130 mph or so???

Yep, that was me....no need to go searching. Like i said originally, i dont claim to be a perfect driver and i probably exceed the speed limit daily. The ONE time i was racing that G35(although i didnt consider it a race) was late at night on a highway, it was just the two of us, so the only life i was putting at risk was my own. I floored my car up to 130 mph then i stopped and went back down to 65 letting the other guy "win". I admit 100% it was dumb and i deserved any bad outcome that would have come my way. But i hope ya'll can see his situation(s) are much different. He has posted multiple race stories on public streets. This guy went from stoplight to stoplight to stoplight racing the same guy. All it takes is one driver not paying attention and pulling out in front of you and your life is forever changed if your not dead. The difference is i can look at my mistake and feel bad about it and regret it and tell myself NOT to do that kind of thing again, this guy not only likes it but feels the need to post and brag about it and wants to do it more and more. Its that ATTITUDE that is dangerous not just the fact that he was racing. And i'm not old, i'm older at 32 but not "old". But with my age comes alot more knowledge about the potentials that can happen when your racing on a public street. Perhaps alot of you dont have fatal crashes around you. Just this past week two cars were racing on a public road and slammed into a woman and her two kids, killing all three who burned to death in their car. One of the drivers ran off and still hasnt been caught. Another one from last week a car was doing over 100 mph on the highway and crashed literally splitting the car in half, all occupants dead. I'm not telling you how to live your life but i damn well hope that you can man up and accept your actions as being wrong and dangerous to others and try to make some effort to NOT do that sort of sh!t on a regular basis.

As far as the insurance goes.....i have an '05, i'm 32, married, clean driving record and i pay $140 a month.

I got to agree with fla on this one i think racing on public roads is very immature your putting people at risk that did not ask to be put at risk. By no means am i old am only 22 but wise enough to know that racing should be kept at the track. I drive around with my wife and son and i see dumb asses around here all the time driving like idiots, the best part of this is that most of the time its just some dumb ass in a stock car thinking he's a race car driver. And like fla siad by no means am i telling people how to live but just be more considerate when you want to race on public roads and think of the innocent people your putting at risk.

I like the kill stories, and I dont race myself, but I like hearing about it. I think its interesting that the older guys tend to lose that desire, due to whatever.
I myself was a former motorcyclist, and always played the "What If" game.
What if...an animal ran out, someone backs out, a tire blows. There are all sorts of things that can go wrong, and at those speeds, they go wrong in a big hurry. Kind like all at once, and you are left sitting there asking WTH just happened.
Also, at high speed, when it does happen, it can be life changing.

There is an old motorcyclist saying..."There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old, bold bikers"

Think about that the next time you are running 130+ in your car!

to my credit, if there is any to have on this subject:
1.) it was past 1am in the morning
2.) there was little to no traffic out
3.) we were in the middle lanes of an eight lane road
4.) speeds never exceeded 85 and only got to 80 once
5.) i have h.i.d.'s =3x brighter than stock halogens.

none of these things give me the legal right to race, and i am fully aware of that, but that is sort of what makes it exciting. i dont go out looking for a race, but i did just get my car about 6-7 months ago and i am still interested in what i can hang with, and what i cant.

i also cant promise im not going to post another story, win or lose. there are some people on the forums that would be interested in hearing what our cars can do against other cars, including myself. the thread title was in no way misleading and if you dont want to read about some "dumbarse" putting his and other lives in danger, then dont read it.

i look forward to hearing about other's stories and if i am put in the right circumstances w/ an interesting car next to me, i look forward to seeing what my ls can do.

hope someone understands. ;)

Yeah man, I feel ya. I am too scared to go crazy racing, as I don't want to ruin my car and don't want to pay for repairs on the wear and tear racing does on the drivetrain, but I still would like to do soem racing. If I ever have a lot of money I would do more of that type of thing. I have gone up to 110 on a 2-lane highway just because I wanted to see how fast she would go, just like you said p2killayak. We are for sure young and stupid, but driving a car is never safe, and it seemed like you were reasonable about your racing. No apologies necessary :)

Hey Decible, I live over on Jax Beach, I do not recall seeing your car around and im sure i would remember it if i saw you...

Mine is all black with a black mesh grill lowered on the stock 17's...ill put a pic up when i get some time...

Since we are on the subject of insurance I have been wanting to find someone I could ask this question to. Can they raise my rate for something like this seeing how I didnt get into a accident or any thing like that? I mean I could see my rate going up if I had been at fault or became a risk but how would my car being broken into make me a risk.

I'm not an expert on insurance, so I may be wrong. I think they base your rates on your likelyhood to file a claim. Doesn't matter whether it is your fault or not. i.e. why insurance in larger cities is more expensive. Higher chance you will file a claim because it has been determined that cars are broken into/stolen at a higher rate in larger cities.
Same goes with filing a claim, once you file a claim, your fault or not your likelyhood to file another one has risen. Therefore, higher rates.
While i was shopping for home insurance, I had a rapport with an insurance guy and he told me ALL about the house that I was buying. He had records of a claim that was filed on my house by the previous owner from '93! including all of the details of the claim. And this was all on a system available to all insurance companies.

Racing is racing....whether it is stoplight to stoplight or haulin on the highway. Accidents can happen anywhere at any time....a car could pull out when racing stoplight to stoplight, or an animal could run across the road on the highway....both causing an accident, both resulting in possible injury or death. It doesn't matter where its at, who its with, or how many times you do it, its still dangerous.

I am not against racing by any means, and I have had my fair share of fun, but If you chose to do it, you are responsible for your actions, and I and many others believe in the golden rule.

Be Safe.

I'm not an expert on insurance, so I may be wrong. I think they base your rates on your likelyhood to file a claim. Doesn't matter whether it is your fault or not. i.e. why insurance in larger cities is more expensive. ....

Sounds about right....even though it is not your fault, it is still a claim, and especially if you have many of them, you become a higher risk, therefore resulting in a higher premium. There are so many variables involved its rediculous. Here is what I have seen cause changes in premium.

Person: Age, Gender, Where you live, Driving record, claim record, risk factor, commute time/distance, not to mention credit history.

Car: Type of car, age, accessories, use of vehicle, where its parked, theft risk, safety features, cost of replacement parts.

I live in a community of about 175k people that is about 10-15 miles from one side to another, and moving within there can make a huge difference in your premium based on the zip code.

Lighten up Francis. I didn't buy my LS as a track car. I bought a performance Seedan! And I drove it like one. Of course most of the "races" I won were the ones where the other guy did not realize I was going to get on it and therefore he could never catch me by the next light ! :D
Now that I have an M5, people are gunning for me all the time. Sometimes I play sometimes I don't. It is good satisfaction knowing I can pass/beat just about anyone (cept vettes/vipers and such) anytime and there is nothing they can do about it. :cool:

If I had wanted a "boulevard" cruiser, I would have bought a Buick. Sounds like the guys that don't explore their cars abilities should have done the same....

im calling bs, those s2000 are a high13 second car and you want me to believe your ls which is a 15 second car kept up with it?

im calling bs, those s2000 are a high13 second car and you want me to believe your ls which is a 15 second car kept up with it?

Why BS? You are forgetting the most important factor: The 'driver mod'

I know i posted earlier in this thread about my encounter with a S2000. That car one of only about 4-5 cars that i have tested in the LS within the year or so i'ved have the '05 LS. On the highway we both got on it and he couldnt outrun me. I actually pulled on him alittle but he stayed about 15 ft from my bumper and couldnt close the gap. The LS may not be a 0-60 killer but on the highway it has some balls.

teh 03 and up ls's run better then the 00 and 01. from a stop light like he said the s2000 would kill him, even if the driver wasnt the greatest look up the specs guys and on the highway the ls does have balls i spanked a gt mustang once from a 60 punch by 2 cars

Gee Whiz Guys---
I live in Metro Detroit, the most violent city in the US, where the typical expressway speed is about 80. I regularly find it necessary to reach for a 'Ton' (100 MPH) in order to get to a hole in traffic where I can change lanes.
I'm 66 and my '02 LS (bought new) is so great I have no reason to change. At present, my LS makes about 400 horsepower. I hold two Land Speed Records with my '02---see LS Performance threads; Land Speed LS.
KenS from ben's Place

Members online

No members online now.
Back