Speed Signal & Reverse Wire

Mark 8 U

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone might possibly know locations / colors for the following 2 wires:

speed signal wire
reverse light wire (preferably up front so i don't need to run all the way to the rear)

I figured someone might know who has installed a nav system before. I'm switching over to the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and need to hook these up.

Thanks in advance guys!

do a search (where is Frogman when you need him!)

its been coverd somewhere, or you can wait for me to go home and look it up on my CD. I'm sure someone around here has it handy though.

It's actually the Pioneer AVIC-Z2, not the N2, just FYI - I mis-spoke on that. I have searched for "speed sensor wire" and "reverse wire" but couldn't seem to locate anything under those, but perhaps I'm just missing something.

Yes, they would ... I was more posting that so if someone looked up this particular head unit they would find information in the archives, because I plan on posting how I am able to get the park brake defeat to work as soon as I get the hard drive back into the unit.

The PCM in the left hand IP has an input from the speed sensor (pin 58 GY/BK)

Reverse signal goes up to the rearview mirror, so if you follow the BK/PK wire from that down the DS pillar or the DS headliner area (I'm not sure which way the wire runs, so you'll have to follow from mirror) you should find a place to connect here somewhere...

Thanks for your help! I pulled the harness out of the rearview mirror and traced it back up into the headliner, but unfortunately, every single wire in that harness is solid black. I presume Ford did this so that it would be less visible from outside the windshield. I pulled the driver's side pillar trim but it doesn't appear to run up through that way. Another other ideas on where to pick up a location on this? Perhaps the PCM has a signal?

Pin 5 (it says BK/PK in EVTM, and BK in the harness pinout, go figure ;) ) It will read 12V when in Reverse.

You could aslo maybe try under the shifter and see if there is a Y/LB wire (lights the R indicator.)

it was my understanding that you dont even need to hook these wires up, or am i wrong (it happens from time to time)

I don't mean to bump such an old thread, but the info I posted is for a 2nd gen car as thats what the op has.
I also should double check the reverse info in post 8 I made as it sounds weird... ;)

All this is good information we should all know. After we get everything sorted, we should contact Joeychgo about putting this information in the Tech Articles.

Members online

No members online now.
Back