Jerry62

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm an average-sized guy, with a slightly too-big gut. I'm 5' 10", and
weigh about 217.

I say that to say this: I wouldn't keep a Mark VIII if you GAVE it to me,
simply because the transmission hump has got to be the widest in the
history of motordom, with the resulting exceptionally limited leg room. This
car is so small inside, it feels like I'm putting it on, like a pair of pants or a
suit - - really! I'm shocked at how cramped it is inside. You'd think it
was designed or made in England, maybe. It's awful, IMO.

Am I "off the wall" with this criticism? It's not that I want to be
constantly negative---I really don't. It's just something I want to have
others review . . . and check my own ideas against other's opinions.

Jerry

I'm 5'10 about 190 and I fit quite nicely. I drove mine from the east coast to Arizona. I was comfortable the whole trip.

PS I see youre from southern NE, where abouts I just moved from southern RI.

My wife is about 5'10". As for weight, I'll just say that she definitely out-weighs both of you. Also, she's particularly larger around the waist than anywhere else, simply because (regardless of weight) that's just how her body is structured.

That being said, while she fits rather snugly into my Mark VIII, she rarely if ever gives complaint about riding in or driving it. She's even had to ride in the back seat on occasion, when a disabled friend of ours is coming along with us.

That being said, while this car is not one that she would particularly pick out for herself, it's still the only car between us and the "legroom" issue really has never come up as a reason to get rid of it. (More often, it's the traffic citations, or gas mileage/cost.) Even if it did, the answer would still be "no", but it hasn't.

On the other side of things, I'm about an even six feet, and the way I'm built puts most of that in my legs. In the time I have owned Mark VIIIs, my weight has varied between 135-195 lbs. I have more issue with the length of the leg space really, than I do width. Even with the seat all the way back, I feel like I could do with having another inch or two. But still, it's not so uncomfortable that it's ever been a reason for me to regret getting this car.

I guess it depends on your general tolerance for such things, and on how much you love the car.

I am 6' 210 and love the Mark, not as roomy as my TC, but a whole lot better than the wife's Mustang convert (will a roll bar no less) and my gaggle of T-Birds.

I do have a slight negative (very slight)
I am not a fan of leather - hot in summer (even with the LSC perforated seats) I just like cloth better. My Black TC had crushed red velvet - pimpin but soooo nice. When we first got the 95 I was dumbfounded you could not get cloth seats. Oh well I do have the heated leather but still I like cloth better. Just a personal preference, no biggie.

I am 6' 210 and love the Mark, not as roomy as my TC, but a whole lot better than the wife's Mustang convert (will a roll bar no less) and my gaggle of T-Birds.

I do have a slight negative (very slight)
I am not a fan of leather - hot in summer (even with the LSC perforated seats) I just like cloth better. My Black TC had crushed red velvet - pimpin but soooo nice. When we first got the 95 I was dumbfounded you could not get cloth seats. Oh well I do have the heated leather but still I like cloth better. Just a personal preference, no biggie.

Get a seat cover.

I'm 5'11' 350lbs 6'' at rest! Have no problem at all with my mark!!!:D

I weighed myself on a scales at the drug store for a 25 cents, A card came out that said, "YOUR THE RIGHT WEIGHT, BUT A FOOT TOO SHORT"!!!
And thank God for air ride, Or I'd be driving with a permanent tilt!

I weighed myself on a scales at the drug store for a 25 cents, A card came out that said, "YOUR THE RIGHT WEIGHT, BUT A FOOT TOO SHORT"!!!

LOL!!! I've got to use that sometime!

Btw, I'm around 5'9" and 260 and no problems here either!

For such a big car on the outside it does seem rather small inside. I guess thats just the way coupes are. Im 6ft 1'' and it fits me ok but then im a skinny weasel. The trunk space impresses me though - nice and deep just a tad shallow. I fit in there nicely! :)

I believe that the "tight fit" adds to the "cock pit" feel w/ the wrap around dash. Definately in line for the "sports coupe" appeal.

For such a big car on the outside it does seem rather small inside. I guess thats just the way coupes are. Im 6ft 1'' and it fits me ok but then im a skinny weasel. The trunk space impresses me though - nice and deep just a tad shallow. I fit in there nicely! :)

The next chance you get to drive a Mark VII, jump on it. Having both, I feel that the VIII is very roomy and open in comparison of the two.

The next chance you get to drive a Mark VII, jump on it. Having both, I feel that the VIII is very roomy and open in comparison of the two.

I will! I quite like the VII. I have been in a few old American cars and they always struck me as being abit claustrophobic inside. Externally, the VIII is by far the biggest car i have ever owned. The rounded shape just adds to the parking nightmare! Lol. More practice required i think...

Members online

No members online now.
Back