Nitrous to Turbo...Out with the old and in with the new...

Guys - be supportive!!

We need more people trying these things for the LS - it is exciting news! With enough time and money almost anything is possible - but very few attempt it.

Robert can be a little brash - but knows his stuff. Working at a performance shop will undoubtably make this go much faster than a weekend project. And if he can make something that bolts-on for the average joe - then that's the perfect senario.

Was waiting for Quik to wander into this one! I hope to see this work out.. Now if only I can fix my leaky sunroof, but thats neither here, nor there.

"I ran a 100 wetshot for over a year and ran the car pretty hard (well as hard as you can with an LS) at the track and no parts breakage occured.

In that form I was putting down 322rwhp according to the dyno. However, I know the dyno was reading a little low so the real numbers were likely around 340rwhp.

If you plan to run a small shot you will be just fine as long as it is tuned well."

Thanks, I will be talking to you, for sure, in the not to distant future!
Any good stories you've developed to ward of the wife's "What are you doing to MY Lincoln?" Questions?

Thanks, I will be talking to you, for sure, in the not to distant future!
Any good stories you've developed to ward of the wife's "What are you doing to MY Lincoln?" Questions?

When the wife and I first met I told her from day one that if she could not agree with my highly modifying vehicles for performance then it would not work out. She also came in with the understanding that this had a bigger purpose in me starting my own performance shop too which probably didn't hurt.

The Lincoln is mine also. I have the Lincoln as the summer DD vehicle and a 93 Ranger 4x4 as the winter DD and then the vehicle who's engine bay picture I just posted is my weekend strip/fun vehicle.

She has asked me what was on my mind when looking at the engine of her V8 Cherokee Limited on occasion though. She probably didn't want to know the answer to that question. I have thought about doing an actual kit for the Cherokee and selling it. If I do that I believe I will need a different vehicle; so far I have only convinced her to let me do a custom CAI and have her take it to the 1/4 mile track. Give me a few more years though. ;)

I told my wife that Tuesday night was Ladies night and she could race my LSE, she was game. However Ladies nite is now over for the year. Oh well next year.

You can do it!

000001095.jpg

I told my wife that Tuesday night was Ladies night and she could race my LSE, she was game. However Ladies nite is now over for the year. Oh well next year.

We need to meet up and take the wives out to the track on one of those days next year. I won't even bring my car, just her Cherokee and let her have fun with it while I tell her how things work.

I will be tearing a few diff's apart today doing some comparison on a few things. I am willing to bet I will find some pretty interesting results for the LS. Off to the garage.

ILLS is man who could rip apart an engine and put it back together but can't set the date on his camera :joke .

Tell you what..you look after my car and I'll look after your camera.
Sounds like a good deal to me :D

:I
Guys - be supportive!!

We need more people trying these things for the LS - it is exciting news! With enough time and money almost anything is possible - but very few attempt it.

Robert can be a little brash - but knows his stuff. Working at a performance shop will undoubtably make this go much faster than a weekend project. And if he can make something that bolts-on for the average joe - then that's the perfect senario.

:I Leave him alone, if he hurts your feelings who gives a f***, I've had a run in with him before, which looking back is ridiculous, b/c this guy knows what he's doing. I can't wait to see the completed project. I wish he was working on my LS.

:D :bestwishe

ILLS is man who could rip apart an engine and put it back together but can't set the date on his camera :joke .

Tell you what..you look after my car and I'll look after your camera.
Sounds like a good deal to me :D

Hehehehehe. So true. Actually the camera is just a POS. I bought it while doing some military ops when I was in Australia back in 2001. You know you have an old digital camera when your wifes's cell phone camera has better resolution. You also know you have an old cam when your video camera is twice as small as your digital camera. Oh well, it is the utility camera now. ;)

:I Leave him alone, if he hurts your feelings who gives a f***, I've had a run in with him before, which looking back is ridiculous, b/c this guy knows what he's doing. I can't wait to see the completed project. I wish he was working on my LS.

Thanks Midas, that is one of the nicest things I have seen you say.

I can come off a little harsh at times but it is only when I am dealing with someone who is either unreasonable or a total noob that doesn't want to realize that they are a noob and try to tell me how things are. I find it difficult to have patience with those kinds of people. Customers almost always show the respect because they realize where things stand. Some people on the forums just do not realize the difference in knowledge between the average owner or even average modder and us shop owners.

Midas, if you are willing to haul your LS up to Chicago area I can turn it into a monster. That is quite a haul though.

We need to meet up and take the wives out to the track on one of those days next year. I won't even bring my car, just her Cherokee and let her have fun with it while I tell her how things work.

I agree. Once down that track and my wife will hooked I believe.

I will be tearing a few diff's apart today doing some comparison on a few things. I am willing to bet I will find some pretty interesting results for the LS. Off to the garage.

Yep good news....just as we hoped. Plan coming together well.

Anyways, on to the more important thing...

As some of you may have heard, myself and 02LSE96LSC91SE84TC have been working together to get an 8.8" limited slip differential into the Gen 1 and Gen 2 LS. I did the differential tear down earlier today. I took some detailed measurements and we have an approach that will be somewhat drop in for doing an 8.8" Ford limited slip differential and/or different rear gears in the LS. It is based upon the premise of using either a Cobra or Mark 8 differential carrier (I am using a MK8) with a few small things swapped from a Gen 1 LS rear carrier and a custom front mounting bracket for the new 8.8" unit. Overall it will save weight, be much stronger than the 8.0", and allow 4 points of contact for mounting the diff instead of just 3 for the normal LS diff's which is stronger still, let alone the obvious choice of all sorts of gears and differentials for the LS now. This may sound similar to Quik LS's T2 differential project but it is actually very different and looks to be easier for the average DIY'er to do also.

This is a big leap forward for the LS Turbo project as well. Even when running the nitrous in progressive control I had terrible traction issues. Going to a LSD will allow me to put all the power to the ground now and also give me reason to run drag radials out back too. Traction issues should be at a minimum once this stuff is in place.

For you N/A guys it means that you can go up to some numerically higher gears and really be able to get off the line quicker when on the street and at the dragstrip. This is exactly what the doctor ordered as these LS V8's are very very weak off the line. Be prepared to see some final results with this by late September timeframe; maybe earlier. :cool:

I don't expect anyone to care, I never asked for anyone to take sides, if you don't care than why do you come off on me. Makes no sense how some people take offense to something they would obviously do them self.
I've had a run in with him before, which looking back is ridiculous,
and at least you admitted it huh?

This is old news by the way and I am over it and was hoping he would so we could go back to acting civilized.

If this does not fail then like I said I will admit that I was wrong on that aspect and I will still give him respect as I have in the past before this got so blown out of hand.

I can come off a little harsh at times but it is only when I am dealing with someone who is either unreasonable or a total noob that doesn't want to realize that they are a noob and try to tell me how things are.

ILLS, I have never told you at all how things are not once, there you go again turning things around at least this time I'm not the one being accused. The problem that came between us went way off topic and I admit now that I feel like a fool but I needed to stand up for myself as I seen no one giving a F*** anyway cause it is our business.

Like I said, I had tottal interest in this till he came off on me and then things blew out of hand. With that beeing said I still give you respect on this topic. Why not just get over it?

I don't expect anyone to care, I never asked for anyone to take sides, if you don't care than why do you come off on me. Makes no sense how some people take offense to something they would obviously do them self.
and at least you admitted it huh?

This is old news by the way and I am over it and was hoping he would so we could go back to acting civilized.

If this does not fail then like I said I will admit that I was wrong on that aspect and I will still give him respect as I have in the past before this got so blown out of hand.

ILLS, I have never told you at all how things are not once, there you go again turning things around at least this time I'm not the one being accused. The problem that came between us went way off topic and I admit now that I feel like a fool but I needed to stand up for myself as I seen no one giving a F*** anyway cause it is our business.

Like I said, I had tottal interest in this till he came off on me and then things blew out of hand. With that beeing said I still give you respect on this topic. Why not just get over it?

Dun not that it ever bothered me much in the first place, but I considered that situation squashed a few days ago. Just stop posting in here with regards to that and it will go away. I am not asking you or anyone else in here to become any sort of ILLS or KBX Performance nutswinger, but I do ask for simple basic respect. There were a few instances where you did the total opposite of that and for no call. There is some more that I could say on this matter but I will refrain from doing so as I know it will only prolong the BS posturing act that is going on. It is done with now so lets move onto what is more important here; the project itself.

I will PM you with that pic request when I am done with the project. As far as I am concerned you are off the hook with the other things, but not with that one. ;) Just be forewarned that I do intend to post it in the open forum. Sometimes we reap what we sow.

Dun, If you have anything else to discuss with me regarding the earlier conflict just shoot me a PM or even start another thread as I do not want anything else off topic cluttering this thread. This is not the first time I have kindly asked you to do this so please be considerate and heed my request. Ok, now onto the project.

See now I give you more respect, I agree.

And don't worry, if this works and is worth my time coming out to your location instead of my favored shop PSI, you may have a customer here as I am still down for what ever. All things said that seemed to have made you mad was not meant in that way and there was obviously some simple misunderstanding.:headbang:

I was also to harsh on calling you out on the project I will take that back and I may rethink what I said, as you stated it is sometimes hard to take people serious in certain situations. If I do start to turn my head on that I will send you the pic you requested regardless.

DONE DEAL?

I am reposting post # 92 as it kind of got buried under all the discussion that has happened in the last day. Here it is again, I believe some of you will find it interesting.

"Anyways, on to the more important thing...

As some of you may have heard, myself and 02LSE96LSC91SE84TC have been working together to get an 8.8" limited slip differential into the Gen 1 and Gen 2 LS. I did the differential tear down earlier today. I took some detailed measurements and we have an approach that will be somewhat drop in for doing an 8.8" Ford limited slip differential and/or different rear gears in the LS. It is based upon the premise of using either a Cobra or Mark 8 differential carrier (I am using a MK8) with a few small things swapped from a Gen 1 LS rear carrier and a custom front mounting bracket for the new 8.8" unit. Overall it will save weight, be much stronger than the 8.0", and allow 4 points of contact for mounting the diff instead of just 3 for the normal LS diff's which is stronger still, let alone the obvious choice of all sorts of gears and differentials for the LS now. This may sound similar to Quik LS's T2 differential project but it is actually very different and looks to be easier for the average DIY'er to do also.

This is a big leap forward for the LS Turbo project as well. Even when running the nitrous in progressive control I had terrible traction issues. Going to a LSD will allow me to put all the power to the ground now and also give me reason to run drag radials out back too. Traction issues should be at a minimum once this stuff is in place.

For you N/A guys it means that you can go up to some numerically higher gears and really be able to get off the line quicker when on the street and at the dragstrip. This is exactly what the doctor ordered as these LS V8's are very very weak off the line. Be prepared to see some final results with this by late September timeframe; maybe earlier."

Cool, I've been wondering about the fit of a diff from a Cobra.

99-01 Cobra diffs. 03-04 are 31 spline.

I originally took the approach of fitting the 8.8 internals into a LS diff case. This looked promising but I grew a little impatient with the shop that was working on it. I had the idea of completely swapping the diff, something ILLS had also kinda wondered as a posibility. NO machining needed. Thinking it was a long shot but what the heck I have both a MarkVIII and a LS sitting here so I started to take a look. I immediately saw the similarities in the cover which is half the mounting and certainly would have been the harder mounting to correct. Front mounting is very simple so fabricating that wasn't a concern. Also diff width looked to be near identical meaning that both being 28spline could swap. Checking axle bearing and axle seal replacement part #s showed the same so that seemed to be looking good too. Drive shaft will be a custom piece as the flange style is different and likely not interchangable between the pinion shafts. Not a big deal there. I have already got a extra LS unit at ILLS and 2 MarkVIII units on the way to me for final measuremants. ILLS found a VIII unit last week and took care of the final measurements already and confirmed axle fitment as good. (Beat me to it). We're almost there. We'll be assembling our own units with Ford Traction Lock units and gear ratio of choice.

I'll be 4.10ing my car. ILLS will be choosing something more Turbo minded.

That is really badass, the LS screams for better traction off the line. Plus no more one wheel wonder burnouts lol. I wish i had the time or skills to put something together like that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back