97 conti irmc location

pdp0069

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hello i am a new member thanx for having me. ihave a 97 cont i bought new it has 65k miles and has been maintained very well. a week or so ago started missiing and cel came on borrowed a buddies snap on scanner and got missfire cyl 4 & irmc stuck open . ordered a new irmc from linc ($214.00 lovin that) and am on my way now to pick it up but i dont know where it is located . chiltons manuel tells me nothing, will it be obvious when i get the part where it is located or can someone shorten my learning curve ? thank you in advance

Hi New Guy :)

Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC)

The air induction system improves engine performance by using the intake manifold runner control (IMRC) assemblies as follows:
  • The intake manifold has two runners per cylinder, feeding each of the intake parts in the cylinder heads.
  • The IMRC assemblies are located between the intake manifold and cylinder heads, providing two air passages for each cylinder.
  • One air passage is always open and the other passage switches from closed to open by means of a valve plate.
    -- Below 3000 rpm, this valve plate is closed to improve low speed and cold engine performance.
    -- Above 3000 rpm, this valve plate opens to improve high speed engine performance.
The valve plates are opened and closed by the IMRC actuator, which is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM).

As for the IMRC stuck open..
It's been discussed here before, there's a possibility of EGR deposits preventing proper Valve Plate movement,
therefore an "IMRC Stuck Open" signal can be generated.

This doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad IMRC Actuator.

97 cont irmc location

thank you for taking the time to reply. i knew that it may not fix it but i put the new one on anyway & it still has a little miss . do i need to disconect the battery for five min and then drive at constant hiway speed as i have read for pcm to relearn ? i have been told that even after replacing bad parts that the pcm has reprorammed and may retain the driveability problems . has anyone experianced any thing like that ? thanx again for your time

still has a miss

well i answered my own question about disconnecting battery & pcm relearning .......it didnt work ! car is still missing , i drove about 35 miles and the cel didnt come back on but still not running like it supposed to . what should i try next ? any suggestions ?

A constant miss can be traced to the effected cylinder by pulling spark plug wires and watching the idle effect.

An intermittent miss is more elusive, but you did get a clue with the initial CEL code, Cyl #4 Misfire.

I would concentrate on #4 first; checking the wires, plug, coil, injector, etc.

I would try running some seafoam through the intake or a vac line which feeds all cyls. Then take the negative lead off the battery for bout half an hour. Then reconnect and take a drive, if this still does not work it may be your egr or possibly pcv. Remenber that hearing a rattle in the pcv doesn't mean it's ok necessarily. Also check cyl #4 and make sure the plug and wire are ok as well as oil isn't built up around the plug. Sometimes this can occur and cause a misfire.

replace your pcv assembly(12 bucks from ford)and replace the wires and plugs.use ford wires and motorcraft double plats.do not use bosch it will not run right.

also the imrcs seldom go bad as stated a good cleaning should have restored performance.

Members online

Back