AVICD3 Pioneer unit

kingofmy_h

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I take my car to circuit city on saturday to get it installed because I would not know where to begin if I did it my self. It took them about 45 minutes to tell me the cost of everything. Then they told me that it's going to take 3 hours to complete it. I spent the next three hours in nearby department stores. After 2 and a half hours,the guy called me and told me that it was going to take him an additional two more hours because he needed to custom make a bezel to surround the unit. I told him no and that I would come back tomorrow to finish the install. I just wasted almost 4 hours there and nothing was done to my car. :mad: I went back this morning and he wanted to cover the surroundings of the unit with some cheap grey carpet like stuff that is used for speakers. I rejected his idea and he told me that he will find some black leather instead. Since it was sunday he could not get ahold of the leather, so he asked me to come back monday. I am in for another lengthy wait because he said to give him four to five hours. I honestly do not think that leather will look good. I might swith it for the navigation bezel from LSK later down the road. SORRY FOR THIS LENGTHY ENTRY.

YEa that sucks i thought that unit would just fit perfectly. I was thinking of gettin a dvd deck and now re thinking. Doesn't it just fit fine?

you should order the 04+ NAV bezel from team ford. its silver and needs to be trimmed but he sends you the matching black paint if your car is 00-02. The circuit city guy could trim it up its really easy many of us have done this our self for our after market navs.

shaved as in slightly dremeling the sides to it will fit in or major modification???

you should order the 04+ NAV bezel from team ford. its silver and needs to be trimmed but he sends you the matching black paint if your car is 00-02. The circuit city guy could trim it up its really easy many of us have done this our self for our after market navs.

I used this bezel to mount my Z1 in our 01 LS. It's not plug and play by any means, but we ended up with an incredibly good looking installation that looks factory. We bought our own paint too and it matches perfectly. So the factory bezel is the way to go, but you need to realize it's going to take some work to make it fit correctly. At least with the Z1 it did. But man was it worth it.

do a search on avic d3 on this site. There is an entire thread I created that gives full discussion on all aspects, including the 04+ NAV bezel..which in my opinon, is a must for the D3 installation. I cant imagine what mouse fur or leather would look like surrounding the unit. WTF

If someone tried to put that mouse fur on my dash I would slap them for even thinking about it. WTF is right.

I went to circuit city today at 12:00. I did not see the guy that was doing the install so I asked the only guy there when he will be there. He said he is not scheduled to come in until two or three. I asked the guy that was there if he can do the install for me. He said it would be best to wait for the guy that was working on my car. I was so mad and couldn't wait any longer so I went in and returned the unit.

my main question is why are you at circuit city for that~?1?! goto a local stereo shop, they aren't going to jerk you around.

I wasn't planning on getting the unit. I happened to see it in their ad and said f*** it, I'll get it installed.

its a great unit id recommend it but you should be ready to install it right. Read lse guys thread and get all the necessary items you need then take it to a stereo shop if you dont want to install it yourself. once its in your car you will be happy you went through with it.

Now you have discovered why I won't even walk into a circuit city store any more. If you need help, you can't find ANYONE. Heck, I had to wait 30 minutes just to PAY last time I was there. As you have found out, the install shop leaves a little to be desired as well.

I hope someone who is a regional or higher manager at CC reads this, cause YOU GUYS BLOW!!!!

Ouch.. That is pain full to hear.. I just had the guys at my local shop custom make a setup to hold my Eclipse. I think its dumb that they didnt even know you need a custom setup for the LS in the first place.. Noobs!

I am really a big fan of doing it yourself. It might take longer, but when it is done it is perfect, I learned something, and I have bragging rights.

As an aside, I love this headunit. There are a couple of shortcomings (the lack of true Ipod video support can get annoying as hell, and no RDS for the radio is absurd. Being able to see the artist/song info on XM, Sirius, and Ipod modes..but not for FM??...absurd) but overall, this is a NICE upgrade from the factory radio. Navigation is great, XM Navtraffic is useful in areas where it's available, the video quality when playing DVDs or even downloaded music videos to the Ipod is great, sound quality is great, user functionality is great once you are used to it. The Bluetooth module is sorta finicky, but I understand it all depends on what phone you are using. But sound quality using a Treo is EXCELLENT.

VERY nice unit.

I would actually like to get one, but I also want rims...and exhaust...and an intake...and an xCal...and...and...and...

Now you have discovered why I won't even walk into a circuit city store any more. If you need help, you can't find ANYONE. Heck, I had to wait 30 minutes just to PAY last time I was there. As you have found out, the install shop leaves a little to be desired as well.

I hope someone who is a regional or higher manager at CC reads this, cause YOU GUYS BLOW!!!!

I am a circuit city installer, I believe Circuit City does a good job depending on the area and type of cars the shop works on, at least at my shop i know we do quality work and get customers done quickly but professionally, I know we work on cars ranging from MB Beamer Lincoln LS to Range Rovers and beyond we even did a Bentley once. You guys might have just got a bad shop with some lazy installers. Just thought i'd chime in to at least save my Circuit City Shop at least.

i HAVE BEEN READING SOME PREVIOUS THREADS THAT WERE VERY HELPFULL. i THINK I MIGHT ATTEMPT TO DO IT MY SELF. i AM JUST A LITTLE NERVOUS ON DOING IT MY SELF BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE. i LIKE THE FACT THAT I WILL BE SAVING MONEY BY DOING IT MY SELF BECAUSE CIRCUIT CITY CHARGED ME 1500 FOR THE UNIT/PARTS/LABOR/PROTECTION PLAN. IF I WERE TO MESS IT UP, I'LL JUST BE LIKE F*** IT.

hOW HARD DO YA'LL THINK IT WOULD BE FOR SOME ONE TO DO IT, CONSIDERING THAT THEY HAVE NEVER DONE ANY KIND OF STEREO WORK? iS IT PLUG AND PLAY?

I am a circuit city installer, I believe Circuit City does a good job depending on the area and type of cars the shop works on, at least at my shop i know we do quality work and get customers done quickly but professionally, I know we work on cars ranging from MB Beamer Lincoln LS to Range Rovers and beyond we even did a Bentley once. You guys might have just got a bad shop with some lazy installers. Just thought i'd chime in to at least save my Circuit City Shop at least.

I'm glad to hear that there is one, because my experience with any of them in Indiana has been very, very bad. They installed some subs for a buddy of mine, and get this...they tapped the power for the amp off of the power antenna circuit. I'll stop there...

Anyway, nothing personal Mexican, I am sure that you know your stuff and are quite capable. I just don't think it's the norm for CC.

i HAVE BEEN READING SOME PREVIOUS THREADS THAT WERE VERY HELPFULL. i THINK I MIGHT ATTEMPT TO DO IT MY SELF. i AM JUST A LITTLE NERVOUS ON DOING IT MY SELF BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE. i LIKE THE FACT THAT I WILL BE SAVING MONEY BY DOING IT MY SELF BECAUSE CIRCUIT CITY CHARGED ME 1500 FOR THE UNIT/PARTS/LABOR/PROTECTION PLAN. IF I WERE TO MESS IT UP, I'LL JUST BE LIKE F*** IT.

hOW HARD DO YA'LL THINK IT WOULD BE FOR SOME ONE TO DO IT, CONSIDERING THAT THEY HAVE NEVER DONE ANY KIND OF STEREO WORK? iS IT PLUG AND PLAY?

Seriously, if you type in all caps again, a group of us will hunt you down and drive over your with our LS's. :mad:

Hmm i think i might reconsider installing a dvd deck on my car. Do you have to do all these modifcations too make them fit?

There are faceplate adapters that allow you to install a single DIN flip up screen head unit. Gives you a small cubby slot beneath the single din unit. I think crutchfield.com and many other shops (Best Buy, Circuit city, etc) sell these, which means a very easy install.
A pic of one such plate/install is in this thread:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=34469

But if you have a 2000-2002 LS and want the neatest, cleanest, factory look install with a double din unit? You'll need the faceplate we discuss in this thread and the other, and it will need some modification with a dremel tool.

I just had a circuit city install a D3 in my Pathfinder and he did and OUTSTANDING job. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Ask the installer how much experience he has. This guy was the manager and had been doing this for 7 years.

On another note, make sure to do the bypass mod so you can operate the nav/dvd while driving. It's easy to do.

Members online

No members online now.
Back