speaker setup for a '98

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
One of my speakers are blown, don't these things have a sub inbetween the 6X9's? I think that may be it. Is there anything special about the speakers/sub? Impedance, crossovers?

Your '98 (Town Car) will only have a subwoofer if it's a Cartier, or a Signature with optional JBL audio system.

The subwoofer has an amplifier mounted to it.

The speakers are normal, mounted in the 6x9 openings and will be marked with the Ford JBL audio system badge on the BACK/magnet of speaker if equipped w/ JBL. Otherwise, normal paper cone 6x9s.

Put on a CLEAR station with 'easy' music, nothing too loud or bass-ey. Turn the volumn up some then simeltaneously press the 3 and 6 buttons. The radi owill enter self test mode and do a speaker walk around test.
Sub (if equipped) will also be tested.

Listen for the blown speaker and note which one it is, will save time removing/installing parts that are not defective. If a 'short' error is displayed on the screen inspect that speaker and it's wiring.

Turn radio off then back on to exit the self-test.

Your '98 (Town Car) will only have a subwoofer if it's a Cartier, or a Signature with optional JBL audio system.

The subwoofer has an amplifier mounted to it.

lucky me, I have a Cartier! the amp is mounted to it? I'll have to look into that. I just have to turn the bass down because it all distorted.

I get distortion on all my speakers IF I have the gain set too high on any of the Aux In devices.

< just a reminder >

:D

The ones with a sub cut the bass from the 4 other speakers it is only sent to the sub. You should be able to unplug the subwoofer. But there will be just about 0 bass from the other speakers. The speakers are 6x8's or 5x7's with 6x8 mounting ability not 6x9's. The only 6x9's on the tc's 98+ are if you have them in place of a sub. My 97 continental has this setup with 2 6x9's in the back deck only receiving bass. And the 4 door speakers handling all the mids and highs.

great! can I replace the sub with something aftermarket or do I need to get another ford sub? what size is it?

Members online

No members online now.
Back