Lincoln Ls V6 00' Sport **Overheating HELP*** desperate for HELP!!!

Rigo Garduno

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone out there can help me, I am very desperate and annoy. I have a Lincoln LS V6 Sport 2000-01. Everything started this past saturday, my wife and I were driving to Buffalo, on my way there close to Niagara Falls, I notice that the TEMPERTURE was increasing above the normal (more than have way) I try to ignore it and at the same time keeping an eye on the indicator. There was a lot of traffic in the highway that we actually have to stop completely, that is when i notice that the temperture was increasing towards the RED ZONE. I decided to get of the HIGHWAY into the shoulder of the the hwy, the temperture was increasing, so i started to drive in the shoulder to avoid the traffic and towards the next exit, i notice that as i increase the speed on the car the temperture started to decrease, anyhow i got of the hwy in the closes exit and stopped in a GAS station. I open the hood of the car and started to cheque the levels of coolant, etc. I did notice that the HOSE that connects fromt he ENGINE into the Radiator was actually INFLATED, so my first guess was the THERMOSTAT is not opening. I checked the FAN which was spinnig at a slow speed, when i turned the AC on, the SPEED of the FAN increase a little bit more, i cheque the OIL on the Hydrolic container and everything was perfect. I decided to close the hood and drive back to Toronto. On my way back the temperture was perfect (steady in the middle). Yesterday I took the car to the mechanic and the GUY told me what I guessed the THERMOSTAT, so told me that is not necessary to scan the computer for the CODES (he said that the scanner will not help) However, he changed the THERMOSTAT. Everything was great today, temperture in the middle and everything perfect, when all of the sudden the temperture started to go back up. I decided to drop the car into the dealer (it was close, so I left it there)... I need help , i am so annoyed of this car, and desperate for HELP my wife drives this car and I cant trust the car. WHAT CAN I DO?? SHould i change the RADIATOR CAP??? PLEASE HELP ME with some guidance. THANK You

Hi there Rigo Garduno! As long as you didnt overcook it and damage the heads/blow a head gasket all should be well. Could be as simple as air in the system or a damaged pressure cap. The mechanic you took it to should be able to sort it.

Hi Blue on Blue

Hi, thank you for your respond, I dont think I damage the heads or gaskets, the temperture never reach the highest level, the highest it went was to the beginning of the last quarter of the temperture gadget. I just got a call from the Dealer, I explained everything to them, and the guy told me that they will perform a Inspection which will run for $45 bucks, and most likely its AIR in the SYSTEM. IF thats the case I will be very happy. I have been reading all the post on this SITE regarding Overheating, and some of them seems scary. Like I said before, after they changed the Thermostat everything was ok, temperture below the middle, but suddenly started to increase after on day of driving it.

Thank you very much for your time and repond. I will keep you posted.

SIncerely,
Rigo

I sold my lincoln after that happened to me. That was the last draw for it. I took it in to our Ford Dealer and of course "Oh, theres nothing wrong, I don't know what you're talking about!"

Anyone can use a scan tool :rolleyes:

Hi Rigo, no problem. Yes they will probably bleed the system, pressure test it and make sure the cooling fan works. All routine stuff. Keep us posted!

THX Blue on Blue

Hi,

Thats exactly what they are going to do, the guy called me yesterday and told me that they will have to BLEED engine. (HOW DOES THAT WORKS). He will be calling me today morining. As soon as I know something I will keep you posted. I hope you can explain me how the bleeding process is done. Thx

Rigo

mine was doing that recently. I checked my fluids and such and all was well. I looked a little closer and there was a plastic grocery bag stuck on the front of my radiator. It was covering the majority of the surface. I removed it and hosed it down to get as much of the residue off and it has been fine since. I have to commute about 100 miles a day for work and it hasnt been giving any more troubles..... (knock on wood)

Hi Rigo. The process varies from car to car, and as i dont own an ls i cant tell you. Some cars, like my bmw have a bleed screw, often on the thermostat housing, to let out air bubbles. On the Mark viii, it involves leaving the filler caps open to let the sytem 'burp' with the engine running. (squeezing the various coolant pipes can help with this) Basically, you are trying to let the trapped air out of the cooling system so that the coolant can circulate fully and remove the heat from the engine via the radiator. So, how did the air get in there? Well, the most likely cause is when the system was opened for some reason, like a coolant change or thermostat change and proper filling and bleeding procedures were not followed, thereby trapping some air. If you have an owners manual for the ls it may explain the correct procedure for your car, in case you want to do your own maintenance in the future. Sorry for the long explanation but hope it helps! Martin.

Hey solace! U made a good point there cos that happened to me once. I wonder if Rigo checked before putting it in to the garage? Its easy to overlook the obvious sometimes! lol.

i would find it very hard for the heads to warp on these motors, because when it gets too hot, the motor goes into restricted mode. the motor will shut down some of the cylinders and use those as "air pumps" to try to keep the temp from doing any damage

Hi Martin some UPDATES

Hi,

Well my weekend was Sh...t, I received a phone call for the Dealer this past FRIDAY to let me know that the car was ready. I told the guy to make sure everything was OK, he told me that he double checked and everything is oK. I went to pick up the car that same day. I am not kidding I drove the car for like 15min and it started to OVERHEAT, I went back to the dealer (it was close) fortunately I saw a guy (Mechanic) which happens to be the guy who bleeded the car. I told him to come out side to see the car that is OVERHEATING again, (he didnt want to go out because it was time for him to leave), finally I conveniced the guy, he saw the car overheating and I told him, this is ridiculous I drove the car for 15min. I told the guy to check the temperture because i dont want him to think that i am making it up. He saw the temperture and it was Overheating, he told me that he was gonna checked it on Monday, so i left the car in the dealer.

I called the dealer today, and the guy from Service told me that they have been testing (driving it in traffic,etc) the car ALL DAY and the car has not overheated yet. So I dont know what to do....I am very frustrated and annoyed. I will keep you guys UPDATED....

Rigo

The mechanic probably didnt do it right or test drive it afterwards. If they say its ok now it might well be. When u pick it up go early so you can take it for a good test drive and take it back in if there is still a problem. Dont let the dealer mess you around!

Hi Martin

Well I just got a called from the dealer and told me that they took the air about of the system, and it seems that when they did the diagnostic it show that the car is over heating. So the guy told me that they have to put the scanner to cheque the problem $86+tax. I told the guy that it doesnt make sense at they just made the diagnostic which I am guessing is the same as to the scanner, and that know they have to make another one...So I dont know what the f...k. They guy told that they were driving the car yesterday and that the gauge was showing no overheating but when they connected to the scanner is shows overheating. I hope they are not f....king around. I will keep you posted. Bythe way the guy is telling me that the problem now is ELECTRIC.

Thx Martin

Rigo, im lost too! Cos i dont own an ls i cant say whether or not what they are doing is right. Maybe some other ls owners could chime in? Maybe the mechanic means the cooling fan isnt starting or there is a problem with a sensor? Typically, a car cooling system is mechanical with possibly an electric cooling fan and a couple of sensors, one for the temp gauge and one for the car's computer. The engine's computer relies on various sensors to adjust fuel and timing and maybe the mechanic wants to do a scan to check these are working ok. On the other hand, they might be trying to con you! If they dont sort it soon, take it somewhere else.

Happened to me, just sorted it out today. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. Not sure yet if it fixed the problem, the mechanic said the thermostat was sticking though.

KD00Ls, do you reckon that dealer is trying to take him for a ride? Cos it appears that way to me!

Keep It Simple

Believe it or not I have an 00 v8 Ls that was doing the same thing and it drove me nuts!!! I simply made sure the hydro was maxed and tightened the coolant cap...now momma's happy. All I have to do now is figure out how to fix those dang rear windows!!!!:cool:

Sounds like mis-communication to me.
If the car overheats it will usually store a fault code which will show up on a diagnostic test. That's probably what they meant when they told you it showed the car was overheating.

If the problem just showed up out of the blue, its probably a sticky thermostat.

If they try to charger you for a second diagnostic test, just flat out refuse to pay for it. You paid them to diagnose and fix a problem and it didn't get fixed. You should still pay for any parts and labor to have them installed, but tell them you're not paying the diagnostic fee a second time.
If they try to give you some BS, and tell you that you can't have your car back until you pay it, threaten to call the Police. That should straighten them up, since they can't legally keep your car from you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back