high output alternator

buddyleee5

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
does anyone have or can tell me where to get one... i was told that ls's have special alternators and excessive amps cannot build one, any other suggestions?

Does anybody know how difficult it is to upgrade the wiring for the LS? I want to go to 4 or 2 gauge when I install my system (3 amps, approx 2000 watts RMS) but haven't looked how hard it will be to run from the batt to the alt.

You can get a custom built alternator from PA performance, go to PAperformance.com. When my alternator stop working, probably because of all the sounds that I was pushing, I called them up. They can create an alternator with up to 170 amps or less, depends what you want.

Ohio Generator - part number 7795-185
185 running amps / 235 - 250 max amps output

$618 retail

they show up on e-bay once in a while.

Quik LS said:
Ohio Generator - part number 7795-185
185 running amps / 235 - 250 max amps output

$618 retail

they show up on e-bay once in a while.

Now that sounds like a heck of a piece! But do they have the service and reputation that PA does? For that kind of money, it would seem imperitive.

I called pa and they told me nope they could get one for the v6 ls .......I dont know why
618 is alot of money but damn that HO......

call ohio generator ask for gus they have a model aslisted above for older models as well as designing a new one for me for the newer ls models with the japanese square pin wiring or whatever. in general ls alt put out higer than rated by 30 or more.

I Have An Ohio Gen In My Car. They Are Well Knowen. You Can't Buy Direct From Them Unless You Deal In The Biz. I Have Had Mine For About 1 Year Now And Have Had No Problems. I Am Running About 375 Amps Max (just For The System / Plus Cars Draw Off Of It) Off Of It And It Does Just Fine. GUS IS THE GUY TO DEAL WITH. HE GOT ME HOOKED UP.

Based on this site and others recommendations, I went ahead and purchased an Ohio Generator H.O. Alternator my 2001 Lincoln LS V8.

First thing I notice is the part number is different than what is listed above.

P/N 8256-185

According to the spec sheet, it is 185A hot, with maximum output of 194A.

Well, I had the alternator professionally installed, was getting about 14.0V and after about 100miles I get the 'check charging system' warming light, and my voltage has now dropped down to battery voltage ~12V.

So, I go back the installation shop and they tell me the alternator is dead.

After talking to Gus he just said send it back and they can figure out exactly what happenend.

My questions for this group is:
1) Does anyone have 1st hand experience with Ohio Generator and Lincoln LS's?

2) Why are there 2 different part numbers?

3) Are these alternators all that reliable?

Any other comments or feedback would be appreciated.

The correct part number for 2001 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8 Ohio Generator H.O. alternator is 8256-185.

The previous part number is supposedly for Town Cars, Crown Vics, etc..

I would highly recommend Ohio Generator. Doing a previous show car for stereo comp almost 10 years ago and Ohio Generator was the only alternator that could hold up with 210 amps. I originally had gone with stinger alternators with external voltage regulator but after the first one burned out in 3 weeks shipped it in made me pay for 300 dollars of the fix, then burned out again about a month after that wanting me to pay another few hundred bucks I decided to call the fellows at Ohio Generator, they know what they are doing and know the fundamental of how a generator should work. No custom work was needed for the installation in the car except cut a small piece out of the bracket arm cause they used a larger housing, unlike the stinger which was painful to install causing problems with codes and such and ended up using a resistor i believe the mechanic said to fix that problem. Unfortunately I retired the show car about 3 or 4 years ago but I can tell one thing that didn't fail was the alternator no matter how hard I ran those amps, car turned off, or on. That using a Jacobs Electonics Accuvolt running constant 16.10 volts to amplifiers, which from what I'm told, requires more amperage to maintain a higher voltage cause amps and able to produce more power.

Like i said before, I have have my Ohio gen for about a year now.. Still to this day no problems.. As far as the p/n goes, I don't know about that.. But yea they are most def reliable.. Check out the pic.. This is off of my cap reading 14.8 V at a stand still with only 3 amps pulling off of the system. You could have just gotten a bad one??

01-12-07_1245.jpg

Not sure if I recieved a bad one or not. Hopefully the guys at OhioGenerator can actually pin point what exactly happened.

Was anything special done during the installation? Do you have an LS? If so, what year and which model alternator did you get?

Well, I recieved the alternator back from Ohio Generator and they upgraded the regulator with a new, improved regulator. Not sure what that is or why it wasn't shipped with it when it was new.

The new regulator p/n 32-213 white with blue cover.

If anyone has some insight on this, that would be great. Since the cost of putting this in and out isn't cheap!!

It's the voltage regulator. It regulates the output voltage of the alternator so it doesnt over power your car and blow up your electronics. There was obviously a problem with the old regulator, so they upgraded to a newer part which was not yet being used when your alt was first built.

Members online

No members online now.
Back