Dont Pump Gas On May 15th

decibels5

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else been getting or sending out the email about not pumping or paying for gas on May 15th. Heres a copy of it. Let me know if anyone else is doing this.

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007
Body: Don't pump gas on may 15th
Body: ...in April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
$2, 292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldnt) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"

I usually buy my gas on weekends anyway, but I keep getting this and I think its dumb. I mean sure, they MAY put a dent in for one day, but people will still need gas that week. All these people are doing is buying gas, and raising sales on a different day(like the 14th, 16th, and 17th), so for the week "big oil" still comes out the same.

Link

Hi

What a bunch of whingers!

You have the biggest cars in the world, with the biggest engines in the world with some of the cheapest gas in the world and you whine about it like spoilt brats, then you wonder why the whole world hates you and are a target for terrorists :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you lived here in the U.K where gas is nudging $8 a gallon you would have something to complain about.

Regards

Dereck

Hi

You have the biggest cars in the world, with the biggest engines in the world with some of the cheapest gas in the world and you whine about it like spoilt brats, then you wonder why the whole world hates you and are a target for terrorists :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you lived here in the U.K where gas is nudging $8 a gallon you would have something to complain about.

Regards

Dereck
It's $8 where you live because it's taxed to death. Out here, it's because we are being gouged.

You have the biggest cars in the world, with the biggest engines in the world with some of the cheapest gas in the world and you whine about it like spoilt brats, then you wonder why the whole world hates you and are a target for terrorists

Another "you dumb Americans" foreigner. You're right, it's our fault terrorists hate us.:blah: And not everyone drives a gas guzzling, huge engine car. Don't try to act all high and mighty because you pay more for gas. It's not our fault that your country sucks and has to charge you so much for gas. I've found that people from other countries will take any chance to bash Americans. It's pretty pathetic really. The fact is, when gas is constantly going up in price, it sucks. Whether you were paying a $1/gal, or $7/gal, it still sucks when it gets more expensive.

Another "you dumb Americans" foreigner. You're right, it's our fault terrorists hate us.:blah: And not everyone drives a gas guzzling, huge engine car. Don't try to act all high and mighty because you pay more for gas. It's not our fault that your country sucks and has to charge you so much for gas. I've found that people from other countries will take any chance to bash Americans. It's pretty pathetic really. The fact is, when gas is constantly going up in price, it sucks. Whether you were paying a $1/gal, or $7/gal, it still sucks when it gets more expensive.

Hi Rmac694203

I am not bashing America or Americans, I fly the Stars & Stripes from my house, drive several American cars and fly back and forth across the pond two or three times a year, I just do not understand this obsession you all have with gas prices.

I am just trying to put things into perspective, not once have I ever read a complaint about the cost of beer yet it is three times more expensive per gallon than gas, not once have I heard a complaint about the cost of a Whopper meal, yet it is more expensive than gas and not once have I heard a complaint about the cost of a a pack of cigarettes yet they are also considerably more than a gallon of gas.

Regards

Dereck

Hi Rmac694203

I am not bashing America or Americans, I fly the Stars & Stripes from my house, drive several American cars and fly back and forth across the pond two or three times a year, I just do not understand this obsession you all have with gas prices.

I am just trying to put things into perspective, not once have I ever read a complaint about the cost of beer yet it is three times more expensive per gallon than gas, not once have I heard a complaint about the cost of a Whopper meal, yet it is more expensive than gas and not once have I heard a complaint about the cost of a a pack of cigarettes yet they are also considerably more than a gallon of gas.

Regards

Dereck

Hi Dereck,

I guess we have been used to low gas prices for a long time, I have been griping about the the gas prices for awhile and probably will for a long time. The only other complaint i have is that there was only one six pack of ( Killian's Irish Red ) at the meet in Boscobel last year, I look foward to finaly getting to meet you at the meet in Boscobel this year. :cool:

Regards

pepperman

my professor said, "gas has doubled 3 times in my lifetime". my guess is it will double 3 times in my lifetime too.

Is anyone posting in this thread taking inflation into account?

The quick research I did awhile back got me to $2 a gallon with inflation directly from the values I could find from 1967 (40 years ago.) So with all other things equal, the gas prices are 50% higher than the should be if only inflated over the last 40 years.

Beyond that I don't really care. It annoys me that Exxon-Mobil had a record breaking $39.3 billion dollar earnings last year, and it annoys me that gas is steadily climbing, but I'm not going to sit around and complain about it. I'm going to keep paying it, and enjoying driving my vehicle. If it bothered me that much I'd ride my bicycle a lot more or work on actually changing things instead of sitting around doing nothing about it.

Good point there. But, in all fairness, all of those things are pretty much luxuries that you just accept. Gas is something that most people use every day, without a choice. Granted, many people people COULD walk or ride a bike or something, but most consider gas a necessity, and when it constantly gets more and more expensive, they see it directly affecting then constantly. As far as beer and cigs though, there are always those brands that you can get for dirt cheap IF you really need too, but not with gas.

Is anyone posting in this thread taking inflation into account?

yes, i am atleast.

eventually most paychecks will raise up and gas prices will remain at an equilibrium price, and we will be back to saying, "gas is cheap now" when its still $3 a gallon.

The reason gas prices hurt me is twofold.

One, housing prices in NJ are insanely high. I cannot afford to purchase a home near to where I work. The prices are just out of my range. I have to commute 44 miles each way for a total of 90 miles a day. Sure, I could rent a place close by but I felt it would be best to own a home.

The second problem here is that mass transportation is non-existent. If I could take something to work I would, but I can't. I'm forced to drive and pay whatever they charge.

Now you may say, dump the Lincoln buy a fuel efficient car. Well, I like the Lincoln but I have a 4-cyl commuter I use as a daily driver, so I have both. You may say "commute with someone else". This I do and it's helped a lot. The problem is that he is still 15 miles into my trip and he's not always on the same schedule as me. We do our best and that helps too.

The bottom line is that a rise in gas prices means I spend more money to get to work and despite doing everything I can think of, my only real alternative is to sell my house. So yeah, gas prices are definitely an issue for me.

Hi

Regards

Dereck

I assume u know the reason for gas in europe being so much higher is due to insane amounts of taxes on gas due to environmental special interests.

I assume u know the reason for gas in europe being so much higher is due to insane amounts of taxes on gas due to environmental special interests.

Hi Shagdrum

Yeah I know.

It's the same as the extra tax on big engined cars, the so called gas guzzlers because they damage the environment, the tax on all aggragate because of the environmental damage caused by quarrying, the tax on every ton dumped in a landfill, the tax on hazardous waste that goes into the same hole as non hazardous, the tax on electricity generation because it creates CO2 gas, the tax on businesses because manufacturing produces greenhouse gases.

None of these taxes do one iota of good for the environment, you can cause as much polution as you like as long as you pay the tax, it's just another excuse to screw the working dude.

Regards

Dereck

yes, i am atleast.

eventually most paychecks will raise up and gas prices will remain at an equilibrium price, and we will be back to saying, "gas is cheap now" when its still $3 a gallon.

I don't think that scale will be even-steven...

Anyhow, I have a solution for rising gas prices:

1) Drive less (what I do)

2) Drive small cars that get 35+ MPG. I'm kicking myself in the balls for not buying a used Geo Metro (for commuting) for less than a $1,000.00 years ago.

Oh, incase no one pointed it out, the "Gas Strikes" won't do a thing, Snopes.Com "busted" it and explained why it doesn't/won't work.

Hi Shagdrum

Yeah I know.

It's the same as the extra tax on big engined cars, the so called gas guzzlers because they damage the environment, the tax on all aggragate because of the environmental damage caused by quarrying, the tax on every ton dumped in a landfill, the tax on hazardous waste that goes into the same hole as non hazardous, the tax on electricity generation because it creates CO2 gas, the tax on businesses because manufacturing produces greenhouse gases.

None of these taxes do one iota of good for the environment, you can cause as much polution as you like as long as you pay the tax, it's just another excuse to screw the working dude.

Regards

Dereck

I agree, the tax is nothing more then a "punishment" for "poluting" that doesn't accomplish anything. The difference is in Europe the tax is a helluva lot higher then in America.

Exxon-Mobil had a record breaking $39.3 billion dollar earnings last year
Yes, but the U.S. also broke the record for most fuel CONSUMED in a year. (see the trend here? we buy more... they make more money?) We broke 400,000,000 (yes million) gallons per day average consumption, and that is still rising, even today, though im not sure what the average is now.
Instead of focusing on Exxon's "profit" like the MSM wants you to, look at the profit MARGIN. Which was around 8.5 - 9%. The profit margin is how many cents on the dollar they earned. Look up the profit margins for accounting firms, pharmecutical companies, banks, hotels even, and tell us what you find.

Like 95 devilleNS said, the only way to lower gas prices, is to lower gas consumption. Bitchin and moanin about it wont do any good.

Members online

No members online now.
Back