Double Din navigational head unit installed!!!! PICS

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright everybody I FINALLY!! got it in.. The double din head unit with navigation.. We fabricrated a faceplate kit using to kits and some special plastic melting bonding glue stuff that dries like plastic. All i am waiting for is for a friend of mine to paint it to match the rest of the dash trim like the ac unit and vents.. no its not black, look close there are specs of silver and green and such. These pictures are with it installed without the faceplate cause he is sanding it down and getting it ready for airbrushing, he thinks it will look better. I told him i don't want it textured like the kits that you order for aftermarket one cause it doesn't really match the rest of the panels cause they are all smooth.. I will post some pics either this weekend or next with faceplate and hopefully with the navigational part working right if we can get into the speed sensor wire.

Well here are the pics..

large.gif

large.gif

That's a sweet radio. Nice work getting it to fit in there, and not looking like crap.

The head unit will probably run close to 2000 depending on where you get it.. I think you can get them on ebay for 1800 but would recommend not buy stuff like that on ebay but thats just me opinion of course. Elcipse won't warrant anything sold on the internet..

:Beer Congrats on getting it installed it looks sweet on your car!! Let me know how the navigation works out for you!! You did a good job installing it . :bestwishe

I'm still waiting to get the faceplate in there.. Which looks stock you will be suprised i think. It will look better then the ones that metra comes out with for aftermarket head units i think.. Hopefully we can get it in there soon and will take pictures of the final product with faceplate. I ended up buy two faceplate kits one for made for the ls and one made for a ford explorer double din.. Then i Cut the heck out of the one made for the ls until the ford explorer kit would fit .... then.. just glued the hell out of it with some bonding glue made for abs plastics, and this thing looks like we bought it this way for the lincoln.. We sanded it down so it was smooth not textured so it would match the interior and to sand down the filler we used so you can't see the seam between the 2 different faceplates.. ok i'm done here.. but that might help ya if anyone is wanting to do a double din in there ls..

jdsimons said:
I'm still waiting to get the faceplate in there.. Which looks stock you will be suprised i think. It will look better then the ones that metra comes out with for aftermarket head units i think.. Hopefully we can get it in there soon and will take pictures of the final product with faceplate. I ended up buy two faceplate kits one for made for the ls and one made for a ford explorer double din.. Then i Cut the heck out of the one made for the ls until the ford explorer kit would fit .... then.. just glued the hell out of it with some bonding glue made for abs plastics, and this thing looks like we bought it this way for the lincoln.. We sanded it down so it was smooth not textured so it would match the interior and to sand down the filler we used so you can't see the seam between the 2 different faceplates.. ok i'm done here.. but that might help ya if anyone is wanting to do a double din in there ls..

Did you figure out the speed sensor that you had to connect to the unit or did you just by pass that??

no haven't had time to get that hooked up yet, but i am hoping next weekend i will be able to work on it. Seem everytime i start to work in this install i end up working on it hours upon hours on end just trying to get this install done.. and the ol' lady..lol.. don't tell her i said that...lol.. thinks i am spending WAY TOO MUCH time with the car..lol.. But i think we are going to try what l-m Tech thought would work is to tap into the abs line in one of the rear wheels before they go into the abs module, he thinks it will not work if we hook it up to the pcm in the car, which i was trying to find out which wire it was.

lol my wife thinks i spend to much time on the car too well she says I'm obessed with the LS but I just don't see it lol!! I wish I good with my hands:wrench as you are, cause I would try to install the eclipse system myself too! Does the navi system work with out connecting the speed sensor to it? :L, Congrats on getting the eclipse system installed hope your able to connect the speed sensor with out too much of a hassle this time around!!

BIG CELO said:
lol my wife thinks i spend to much time on the car too well she says I'm obessed with the LS but I just don't see it lol!! I wish I good with my hands:wrench as you are, cause I would try to install the eclipse system myself too! Does the navi system work with out connecting the speed sensor to it? :L, Congrats on getting the eclipse system installed hope your able to connect the speed sensor with out too much of a hassle this time around!!

updates?

Yep.. we got'r done.. finally.. lol. we used a abs sensor on the one of the rear wheels before it connects to the abs module. Use the BLACK wire not the brown one .. lol

large.gif

Well one thing i can tell you for sure is the screens on the eclipse headunits are the best in the industry i think they are clearer then some home lcd screens i have seen. The eclipse AVN's also have their own graphics processor which speeds up calculating and displays on movies are crystal clear, and plus everything is built into one unit no hideaways either, has 5 or 6 different sound fields and my personal favorite it has two slots one for dvd and one for cd's. This is my first navigation unit in a car so i can't really compare the features of the GPS. But by far is probably the easiest to use and setup XCept maybe installing the thing but running it is simple, lot easier than i thought it was going to be. This thing will recalculate you turns and where to go if you accidentally miss your turn, pretty neat unit. so far it been perfect for my applications.

Yep.. we got'r done.. finally.. lol. we used a abs sensor on the one of the rear wheels before it connects to the abs module. Use the BLACK wire not the brown one .. lol

large.gif

Question:
Exactly where did you tap into, (ie under the wheelwell or under the car?) and once you tapped into it, how/where did you route the wire back into the cabin?
Thanks

If i recall now we ran the wire through a rubber grommet in the trunk under the car. Kinda hard location to reach, by the abs module for the rear wheels.. But someone i think found a better location to tap into speed pulse in the engine compartment, i can't remember who posted it but found a website talking about it, i think we may try this other route and see if it works as well.
unfortunately i am not sure if this will work with my 2000 ls

http://www.carnavigationforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=61&sid=680e7e35036da39210080ebd06bb421c

thats pretty nice, i like those much better than stock units but get that terrible movie out of that car, toss out on the highway or something! Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon have no place in an LS. Giselle does though....

thats pretty nice, i like those much better than stock units but get that terrible movie out of that car, toss out on the highway or something! Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon have no place in an LS. Giselle does though....

LOL.. i can't believe you didn't like that show.. I thought it was pretty funny.
Will do movie is now out of vehicle and on i -80 somewhere.. just kiddin

Members online

No members online now.
Back