Took the Mark to the track

I would think if he didnt spin the tires to lauch just off idle to flash the convertor.If your tires spin a little that is perfect.If they spin a lot more than take out air (around 25psi--a quick dry hop to see if the tires contact patch to the road is not altered---if the patch is cupped or no patch in the middle than ad more air and opposite if too much).Take out all weigh, filter out and ice down the intake and roll the car up by hand.Let us all know, im sure you can get around a 14.6.
OLD SCHOOL TECHNIQUES ON NEW SCHOOL - SO COOL

you just gave away my secrets to my stock times.

though i didnt ice or take the AF out. i let it cool for half hour then went directly to the line.

So you mean those guys I see with ther buddy in the passenger seat watching DVDs letting it idle for a 1/2 hour in line are doing it wrong????

No lie I guy in a mid90s Impala couldn't figure out why he was running low 16s....never turned the car off buddy watching a football game in the car.

im not interested in braket racing. ive been doing that for 9 years now.

Sorry, I was talking to the original poster, not you - but I can see how you thought I was talking to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone haveing traction problems should try out the firestone firehawk wide oval tires. They can be kind of pricey but once warm they hook like nothing else I've tried. I'm running the stock size currently and can launch at 1700 on the street.

-travis

Anyone haveing traction problems should try out the firestone firehawk wide oval tires. They can be kind of pricey but once warm they hook like nothing else I've tried. I'm running the stock size currently and can launch at 1700 on the street.

-travis

That just means your car doesn't have enough power. For ultimate traction MT drag radials are the way to go.

Judging by the ETs and MPHs in your sig, you could use some, too! :D

Not like I should talk since I Ran my junk on street tires...but still :shifty:

yes. i could.

the cobra was run on et streets. only made 3 passes ever with them and was being cautious because of the stock rear with the power it is making. the previous month i ran it on street tires and i would have to pedal it well past the 1/8th.

the lincoln needs gears. it rarely spins. just a dog out of the hole.

Actually the MT drag radials are made of a stickier compound than even the ET Streets.

I know I do not have enough power unfortionitly I have been blessed with twins so I can't even aford gears and a locker.

-travis

Well, I am going to a Test N Tune here in a lil while i'll let yall know my times later tonight. Thanx for all your suggestions I will Definately try them out. I have one last question will it hurt anything if i run 104 octane?

Your car will be slower on 104 octane, the highest octane I would get is 96 for a stock Mark VIII.

How would it be slower with 104?? Please explain.

Because high octane fuel burns slower and is more resistant to ignition. If it is unnecessary (like it is in your car) then it will provide no benefit, and will likely just slow you down.

Run the minimum octane you can get away with without detonating.

Our cars have knock sensors so it's not easy to tell if you the ECU is pulling timing because of pinging. If you can hear audible pinging in these motors it's cookies or the knock sensors aren't working any longer.

Heh, my 98 would ping like a sonofabitch here in Phoenix. :) Probably had something to do with the fact that I ran 87 octane in it. :eek:

As you might guess - I didn't floor it very often. LOL

*edit* - even with a tank of 91, you could hear it REALLY LOUD on the dyno. I have a video, but it's too large for me to host.

It might not run very well at all. I remember an LS1 that was running 12 second 1/8th mile times after adding race gas.

Well I just got back from the track tonight I ran a little better. Tried to launch it I had my best run when i launched at 1500. Anything higher than that and I would spin the tires. here is my best time.

60' - 2.245
330 - 6.487
1/8 - 9.885 @ 72.54 mph
1000 - 12.787
1/4 - 15.214 @ 93.32

Better than last week and I forgot to turn off OD. Do you think it would've helped my run?

It would have helped a little bit... what elevation is the track at?

Members online

No members online now.
Back