Status
Not open for further replies.

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
amsoil4.jpg

amsoil1.jpg

amsoil2.jpg

It's a little bigger than my old 9 inch K&N, it barely fits and rubs a little bit on the HID ballast but it's not a big deal.
amsoil3.jpg

Here is a pic comparing to my old worn out 9x4 K&N.
amsoil5.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture007.jpg

The car sounds louder with the Amsoil conical and there is more induction noise than with the closed mouth K&N. I went WOT around the block and the car chirped the tires really hard on the 1-2 shift so it's definately not down on power compared to the K&N. The Amsoil is made out of nanofiber and doesn't need to be oiled, it's cleaned by using a vacuum or blow dryer.

First, Amsoil is supposedly the best in Oils. (Talk to any Amsoil pusher, Amsoil is supposedly god's gift to motor oils). Now, they're getting into Air Filters? Isn't their overrated oil filtration system enough?

What next, Amsoil will (supposedly) be the best in Washer Fluids?

First, Amsoil is supposedly the best in Oils. (Talk to any Amsoil pusher, Amsoil is supposedly god's gift to motor oils). Now, they're getting into Air Filters? Isn't their overrated oil filtration system enough?

I agree. It's kind of like a cult. That whole marketing thing behind it. Just follow the money as they say.

Anyway, I'm curious because I can't stand the 'oil' treated K&N crap. Would never use one.

I still think a 'paper' filter is the best way to go but I want to see the flow numbers from the Amsoil filter.

Flow numbers don't mean much if the filter can't effectively trap the dirt going through it.

I swapped out the stock air box and filter (paper) out of my Powerstroke with an Airraid Extreme. Mind you, I do a LOT of offroading in that truck. Lots and lots of dust. Know what my Oil samples say when it comes to insolubles? Well, let the report below tell you. The red square. It my be unreadable, but it says "Insolubles" - aka dirt and chit: Below average... In areas where there's so much dust at times, you can't see 10 feet in front of you.

Analysis1.jpg

Flow numbers don't mean much if the filter can't effectively trap the dirt going through it.

A filter ain't worth chit if it can't flow either.

Now if you had before and after dyno runs with the filter swaps with a nice performance gain, then I'd blow you.

No, I don't have dyno sheets and numbers. I can tell you this though. I wasn't looking for performance gains. The truck does just fine pulling what I need it to pull.

I am however, getting a bit better mileage (around a mile/gallon), and my EGT's are staying about 50-75 degrees cooler after the filter swap. I didn't pick up 40 HP, or get mad torque after the filter swap. I wasn't looking for extra mileage. I wasn't looking for lower EGT's. I was looking for better filtration, and I found it.

I don't have an oil analysis with the paper filter on this machine. I do however have it on my desktop. IIRC, I was pushing in the area of 1.0 in the insoluble department with a paper filter.

Performance means nothing if your engine oil is chock full of dust.

Yep, sounds about right! :iconcur:

Hey, I like the blue color of the Amsoil conical... the red filters are way too common these days. This filter is Amsoil EaAU 4090, they have a bunch of different sizes.

My personal oppinion is that if the amsoil products were so great that they would have made it into the stores by now. Reminds me of a tuperware party. LOL.

Amsoil has a policy they don't sell to chain stores only independents. The oils they offer are far superior to any you will find on your local autoparts store shelf.

That's an idiotic business plan. Why not sell to chain stores and have a larger market? Lager market = more customers = more sales = more money at the end of the month.

Unless, ofcourse, they want to rake in the full retail price.

That's an idiotic business plan. Why not sell to chain stores and have a larger market? Lager market = more customers = more sales = more money at the end of the month.

They might not have the resources to make a ton of the stuff either though, Just them not wanting to go big time like mobil 1 and just keeping it relatively easy to run.

Then use select resellers. This is the reason I dont use Amsoil. If they want me to buy their product, I want to be able to go to the store on a Saturday and pick it right up because I decided its a nice day to do an oil change. Or worse yet, I have an engine problem that requires the oil to be let out. Now I have to wait DAYS to get oil?

This is 2007, if the Thigh Master® can be sold in stores, so can Amsoil. And its not like Amsoil makes the oil, its made for them by spec. If they make their own then they certainly have the funds for their own "synthetic refinery" which means they certainly have enough support to sell in stores.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

It's all about gross profit margin and net profits.

If I can make 40 points(%) selling $5 million worth, what do I have to sell to make the same money if my margin drops to 10%. And am I guaranteed that market share if I do allow for 2 step distribution? And will my competition allow me to take their market share without a fight? Does my competition have the ability to outlast me in a price war? Could they make the same item that I am offering a loss-leader to force me out of the market? I could ask at least 30 more questions as to why direct marketing has its advantages/disadvantages over 2 step retail distribution.

I wouldn't want an unshielded air filter in my engine bay. More hot, turbulent air to suck in and potentially disrupt the MAF transfer function.

I have never had that problem, been running unsheilded for 10 years now without an issue. 15 years total with other vehicles.

Please anyone else running unsheilded let us know if you ever had any issues regarding this subject.

Never had a problem like that either. I am looking into get a heat shield though because I read some Mustang guys saying that the IAT doesn't react quickly enough and retards timing a little bit if the temps are too high. You will be half way down the track before the IAT compensates for the cold air coming in according to what I read. Realistically I doubt a heat shield will make any difference but it can't hurt.

AmsOil is not made for them, but by them...........

This is 2007, if the Thigh Master® can be sold in stores, so can Amsoil. And its not like Amsoil makes the oil, its made for them by spec. If they make their own then they certainly have the funds for their own "synthetic refinery" which means they certainly have enough support to sell in stores.

Read the independent tests and you will see that it is far superior. And One of their biggest customers is Mobile 1. Mobile gets their synthetic base from AmsOil. The difference is in the additive that each uses. And I only pay $4.68 per quart of AmsOil. I pay $6.28 a quart for Mobile 1. I like both, but I prefer AmsOil over Mobile 1 for fact that I can use higher drain intervals. And when I did get regular oil analysis done on my vehicles, my 9000 mile AmsOil was much cleaner than the 5000 mile Mobile 1 that I was replacing. I do not like the multi level marketing plan or the fact that I can't go to WalMart and pick up a case. But it is good enough that I will make that little sacrifice to use a superior product. And no, I am not an AmsOil dealer, nor am I connected to it in any way. But I have used it since 1979 and I have never had an oil related failure in any of the vehicles that I have used it in.

I've seen all the marketing, facts, etc... they either have great marketing skills or are telling the truth. I get Mobil 1 extended (15k) 5W-30 now, $22 for 5 quarts at Wal-Mart. Thats $4.40 a quart. Then I pick up the extra one from the shelf for $4.99 to get me 6 quarts.

So my Mobile 1 is a dollar cheaper, I change it once a year - not every 15k, that would be nuts :) I have not had tests done, but the oil is very clean looking. I know looks are not everything, and I do have a new engine with 11k on it...

Amsoil does free shipping, right? If not, add another $12 to your cost per change and that would put you $13 per change more than I. Now if Amsoil DOES do free shipping, I would MAYBE consider switching but for now I am happy with what I have and what I see when I drain it.

edit: Oh, and a link clearly stating, without doubt, that Amsoil makes their own bases and sells then to Mobile 1 would help settle my suspicions. Especially since a long time Amsoil dealer says other wise.

I use Mobile1 and my oil is never dark at oil changes. Many high end auto manufacturers recomend Mobile1.

As far as having a cone filter under my hood, It wouldn't happen! I don't want hot air being sucked into my engine. It would have to have a heat shield that blocked the hot air from the engine compartment. Cooler air is always better! My car had a conical filter on it when I bought it, I took it off and installed the factory air box with a large 3x5" inlet cut out in the front for fresh air. I also do not use a oiled air filter do to the fact that it can get onto the MAF element. My 2000 expedition had a K&N installed in the factory air box. What a mess that thing was! Oil residue everywhere. What is wrong with a good old fashioned paper filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back