Lincoln LS V8 vs Lincoln MKZ

Personally I think the LS has somewhat of a "timeless" style. Afterall my 02 is now 5 years old and it still gets looks when I drive it. I do agree though that the later years of the LS took a lot away from it. Personally, aside from the exhaust cutouts, I think the earlier year sports blow away the later year ultimates due in large part to the choice of wheels Lincoln used. With all that said though I am somewhat disgruntled with the apparent mechanical issues the LS poses. I know several people with Lexus, Infinitys and especially Acuras that have way fewer problems than we do. Sure the repairs may cost more but they seem to be a lot less frequent. I only have 57K on mine and I have babied it but I'm still starting to have the same issues everyone here talks about pop up. My fiance's 01 Accord EX has nearly 140K and has had nothing but brakes and tires on it, and trust me she drives it like sh*t. And don't even get me started on the gas mileage difference, and that V6 puts out 240HP to my V8s 255? 15 HP difference that's barely noticeable unless I guess you like speeding tickets which I don't. Don't get me wrong I'm not even attempting to compare a Honda to my beloved LS, just my $0.02.

"
The MKZ does'nt run with the GS 430,M45,A6 anyway they can run all the way up to at least 60 grand.I think the MKZ is a sweet car and the interior blows the Ls's out the water.For 35 grand a fully loaded MKZ is a deal so I don't know what the hell yall talkin bout.Also Nick you need to get your eyes checked cause a MKZ does'nt look :q:q:q:q like a ford 500 in the inside.Your 6 year older LS interior damn sure can't mess with the MKZ interior.It will dust your old ass Ls anyday so don't even say that."

Are you serious?? The MKZ dash looks hideous. My father works for a Lincoln dealer and even the owner was cracking on those cars. They're fugly.

Your 6 year older LS interior damn sure can't mess with the MKZ interior.It will dust your old ass Ls anyday so don't even say that.

I was disappointed that Lincoln used that old ass parking brake lever in the center console of the MKZ. The electronic button is soooo much better.

IMO, after they discontinued the Continental, I knew that was the beginning of the end for the LS. Lincoln needed a platform to bridge the gap pricewise for the older demo that couldn't afford a TC, so they started to add elements that were anti-sport around that time, like the rim options, the interior logos/presentation, etc. The 2nd gen. LS just seemed so old-folkish compared to the 00-02 to me. When I saw the keypad on the LS door, I knew its days were numbered. Instead of stepping their game up to try to snipe BMW (like the McLaren LS may have made a strong effort towards) it seems they regressed.

I thought the LS was originally intended to appeal to the younger market, the 35-49 crowd, but after the redesign, appearance-wise it just seemed to grow older each year to me. I still enjoy my LS, and I may go back and get an '02 LSE probably, but I think Ford really dropped the ball. Nobody respects Lincoln anymore to me, especially after the redesign of the Nav. Of all the "upgrade" brands like Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, etc., Lincoln is last in my book.

couldnt agree more.... lincoln needs to look at cadillac, with their XLR, STS, CTS, and escalade (gen 2)... it just sh!ts on lincoln

image_3.jpg

MZK Interior

lincoln_dash.jpg

LS Interior.

MKZ interior, harsh square boring lines, horrible colors.

LS interior, smooth gentle flowing curves, dark colors = beauty.

I'm not sure why you guys are comparing the MKZ to the LS- they're two completely different car classes. Let's not even talk about why some people are comparing the Infiniti M45 to the MKZ? Apples to oranges people. So, that M45 has got nothing on that Aston Martin Rapide.

MKZ = entry-level luxury, like the Lexus ES-series
LS = mid-level luxury

You guys ought to be comparing the forthcoming MKS, which is supposed to be the LS replacement car, when it comes out.

I realize the MKZ isn't in the same league as the LS, but hey - isn't that what Lincoln used for the LS replacement?

Speaking of Motor Trend, I can't help but remember that the LS was it's choice for Car of the Year way back in 2000. It's sad how far Ford let this car go. Another favorite of mine is the 89-97 Tbird/Cougar, which incidentally was also Motor Trend's Car of the Year waaaaaaay back in 1989. Ford ruined that car too.

I do agree though that the later years of the LS took a lot away from it. Personally, aside from the exhaust cutouts, I think the earlier year sports blow away the later year ultimates due in large part to the choice of wheels Lincoln used.
A couple people have eluded to this. What changes to the 2nd gen. LS make it look like an old persons car or hurt the looks? Exterior....aside from the chrome rim around the grill, slighty different plate surround, round fog lights and a few other minor things its the SAME CAR??? I dont get it. I have owned both versions and i think the 2nd gen. cleaned up alot of things.....washer nozzles removed from hood, better looking headlights, removing amber light from bumper, losing parking brake lever, dual exhaust tips. They also received some nice upgrades....keyless door pad, HID lights, movable armrest, Nav. system, auto up/down windows, auto open/close sunroof, more/better storage space, rear seat heater, parking assist and lets not forget a/c seats. Also in regards to the wheels, i think the chrome wheels on mine are the best looking wheel of any year. Thats my opinion anyway.

I realize the MKZ isn't in the same league as the LS, but hey - isn't that what Lincoln used for the LS replacement?

No, Lincoln never marketed the MKZ as the LS replacement. At least the MKZ uses real wood- the one in the LS looks more like plastic...

Speaking of Motor Trend, I can't help but remember that the LS was it's choice for Car of the Year way back in 2000. It's sad how far Ford let this car go.

in the pre 03 LS commercials, the narrator says, "the new lincoln ls, where its going, may not be as surprising as where it came from." i wonder if they were trying to hint to consumers, that this car is going to be discontinued? thats the way i see it.

No, Lincoln never marketed the MKZ as the LS replacement.
Yup; the MKZ is not, in any way, shape, or form, a replacement for the LS, and it has never been presented as such; the LS's slot in the Lincoln lineup is currently vacant. Lots of people keep making this comparison, but you just cannot compare a $30K-$35K entry-level luxury sedan to a $35K-$50K luxury sport sedan.
At least the MKZ uses real wood- the one in the LS looks more like plastic...
The '03-'06 LSes have real American Walnut burl trim. :p

I don't know if it's better than an LS interior, but I do agree that the dark MKZ interior is sharp.

I think it's user preference. I like the small amount of wood trim in my 06. I don't like how the earlier models had wood covering the entire dash/stereo area. I thought it was a little too much, just my preference though.

No, Lincoln never marketed the MKZ as the LS replacement. At least the MKZ uses real wood- the one in the LS looks more like plastic...

I dunno - if I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it, but I thought that they stopped making the V6 because they introduced the Zephyr, then that got renamed to the MKZ. I always viewed it as Lincoln's unofficial replacement for the LS, at least temporarily until the MKS came out.

Personally, I wish Ford would finally dump Mercury and pour all the money from that line into making Lincoln a viable competitor to Cadillac again.

I dunno - if I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it, but I thought that they stopped making the V6 because they introduced the Zephyr, then that got renamed to the MKZ. I always viewed it as Lincoln's unofficial replacement for the LS, at least temporarily until the MKS came out.
They dropped the D30 for '06 to streamline the production for the last MY of the LS (that's also why the '06es all have the LSE fascias). The introduction of the Zephyr might have been a factor (considering that it used the D30), but the end of the LS production run (and the end of production at Wixom, period) were the big factors.

Even if the introduction of the Zephyr were a motivating factor for removing the D30 from the LS sales matrix, that wouldn't make the Zephyr a replacement for the LS any more than the introduction of the LS made it a replacement for the Continental. They're different cars built for different requirements. (Fortunately, the Zephyr/MKZ is doing that--making a profit--unlike the LS.)

Personally, I wish Ford would finally dump Mercury and pour all the money from that line into making Lincoln a viable competitor to Cadillac again.
Good idea or not, it'll never happen as long as there are stand-alone LM dealerships. Lincoln doesn't move enough volume to maintain dealerships, according to the LM dealers. They screamed to high heaven the last time anyone even floated the idea of axing Mercury.

wait,
mazda 6
ford fusion
mercury milan
lincoln mkz, aren't they all the same car?

I find the interior of the MKZ not up to the general feel/attraction of the LS either. I believe the MKZ/Milan and the Zephyr are based on a Mazda, or at least I thought they were, or is it possible they're based on the new Mondeo?

And, I have to add that early last year, my brand new '05 LS V8 Ultimate was $31K, with 74 miles on it from the dealer. That coupled with the Jag underpinnings made my choice easy. It puts an interesting angle on the cost conversations that have gone on this thread previously. I surely don't see the MKZ/Milan as anything close to the LS. Definitely not replacements for it. Kind of like when Ford pulled the Contour out of the line up and didn't replace it. Weird.

Choices of the masses(?), Infinity, Acura or Lexus(?). Only Americans buy off that those are any different from Nissan (Renault's pulling their strings) Honda or Toyota. What a shallow facade....these are probably the same people buying Citgo gas, a wake up call and a clue are clearly needed.......

isn't the mkz a mazda 6
No, it's not. The Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr/MKZ are built on Ford's CD3 platform, which is an altered version of the platform under the Mazda6. The Edge, MKX, and the Mazda CX-7 are also built on this platform, but you wouldn't call any of them a Mazda6, would you?

And, I have to add that early last year, my brand new '05 LS V8 Ultimate was $31K, with 74 miles on it from the dealer. That coupled with the Jag underpinnings made my choice easy.
Don't make too much of it being a Jag suspension; it would be just as accurate to say that the S-Type is riding on a Ford suspension. At least as much of the development of DEW-98 was done in the US as in England.

I think you're all thinking like car guys and not marketing guys. The LS was the entry level Lincoln from 2000-2005, and the Zephyr/MKZ is the entry level Lincoln from 2006 for the foreseeable future. While they come at it from different directions, the purpose of the MKZ is to bring in younger buyers, same as the LS was. When I bought my LS I wasn't comparing the LS to BMW 3/5 series because they are both RWD sport sedans, I was comparing to Acura TL and Lexus ES because they were in the same price/feature class. The MKZ may not be a "replacement" for the LS, but it is certainly filling the same spot in Lincoln's lineup.

Members online

No members online now.
Back