DIY CCFL installed & Blacked-out Side Markers

h2osho

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I debated about buying a pair of CCFL's from GrayGhost, then decided to go it alone. So I bought the CCFL's off Ebay for $70 and finally had time today to attempt the install.

It is NOT that difficult a proceedure, however it is labor intensive. I had the grey silicone so it did make things much easier. I started at 8am and about 4pm I was done after starting, stopping and starting all day. I also did the Nite Shade spraying (Black out) of my Side Markers along the way.

I pulled the driver-side assembly and popped it in the oven 10 minutes later I pulled apart. I had to go out and buy bigger clips to get the CCFL's to attach properly. (I didn't get any from the CCFL supplier) I mixed epoxy and within a minute it was already setting. The inner ring wanted to naturally lean backwards so I had to place some cardboard to prop it up and let it sit for an hour. I eventually fashioned a paper clip and bent it so that it held the CCFL flush with the bezel. Then expoxy it.

Drilled a hole for the wires in the back and then proceeded to fill more grey silicone in the gaps, pop back in the oven and 8 minutes later squeezed the lens back onto the housing. Let sit for 20 minutes and re-installed. Currently they only come on when I have the lights on, I would prefer to have them on whenever the car is running. I may re-wire them.

I can certainly see why LSKoncepts.com would charge their $350+ price. Although I would do this again on my own...many would not. Headlight are $50-80 a pair plus another $70+ for CCFL's and shipping and time and you can get $300 plus in a hurry.

NITE SHADE:

As for the blackening out of the Side Markers....I got this idea from Mike Holhut 6 years ago when he used the Nite Shade to black out tail lights. (When we were both into the Taurus SHO V8 scene) You can still see the lights when the bulbs are illuminated.

Simply mask off the lights, clean with alcohol and spray on 3/4 light coats. That's it. You can buy it from SUMMIT last time I checked. About $15 shipped.

I also polished my headlights and fog lights with a product I found at Autozone for $10. Place a foam pad on the supplied drill attachment and spray with water. I spent maybe 4/5 minutes on each light going back and forth and spraying water. It didn't do a great job, but it did take the haze away and I'm fine with the results for what little time I spent doing this job.

I removed the stock bulbs underneath the amber turn signals and replaced them with Silverstars. They were $20 for the pair and they appear blue when not on and turn amber when lit up. Kinda cool, but pricey.

All in all a day well spent on some upgrades. Thanks MHolhut for your help. And go Pistons.

Scott in Michigan

CCFLitems.jpg

CCFLapart.jpg

CCFLclips.jpg

CCFLpaperclip.jpg

CCFLinstalled.jpg

Niteshademask.jpg

NiteshademaskPAINTED2.jpg

CCFLlit.jpg

clearcorner.jpg

copyplate.jpg

thats sweet. i like them. where did you get the ccfl's???? from who? all i see are bmw auctions.

You know Scottie, that side marker light pops out in two seconds when you have the headlight removed.

PS: Your plate is kinda:

gayspidey.gif

BDSax said:
thats sweet. i like them. where did you get the ccfl's???? from who? all i see are bmw auctions.

Paste this in a search on Ebay: NEW BMW CCFL Angel Eyes Conversion Kit E36 E38 E46 M3

The CCFL's are for the BMW's.

h2osho said:
Paste this in a search on Ebay: NEW BMW CCFL Angel Eyes Conversion Kit E36 E38 E46 M3

The CCFL's are for the BMW's.
Yeah but be careful. Do not get the rings for an E46. One ring is bigger than the other. The E36 is your best bet.

I think I might go ccfl soon. I have el wire, similar to ccfl, just less bright. Kinda like led rings without the problems. Mine was completely DIY, I even made the rings out of acrylic tubing. Talk about labor intensive.

Hey Guys, first poster here. I am seeing CCFL angel eye kits that fit many BMW models. Some say they fit the E36 & E46. What diameter would be the right size to fit around the lens? My LS is an 01, any advice on what manufacturer to buy from? Every auction listed seems to be from a diferent company. What about brightness? There are several brightness levels as well, anyone with some ideas or sugestions? Thanks

zierproducts said:
Hey Guys, first poster here. I am seeing CCFL angel eye kits that fit many BMW models. Some say they fit the E36 & E46. What diameter would be the right size to fit around the lens? My LS is an 01, any advice on what manufacturer to buy from? Every auction listed seems to be from a diferent company. What about brightness? There are several brightness levels as well, anyone with some ideas or sugestions? Thanks

I bought these more than once (multipule ccfl installs). They are the best fit that i've found for the 00 - 02 LS head lights. They are on e-bay listed as:
BMW E39/E65/E66/M5/540/745 CCFL OEM Angel Eyes UPGRADE

I got them from this guy: wolfpackman
You can email him at this address: wolfpackman@xsmail.com
Just paste this in the e-mail (BMW E39/E65/E66/M5/540/745 CCFL OEM Angel Eyes UPGRADE) and ask if you can have them for $70.00, he should be happy to sell them to you.

hey man how does that nite shades look on the car? does it look crappy or does it come out lookin sleek? i was thinking of doing that to my side markers and rear tail lights. where can you buy that stuff?

NYC LSv8 said:
hey man how does that nite shades look on the car? does it look crappy or does it come out lookin sleek? i was thinking of doing that to my side markers and rear tail lights. where can you buy that stuff?
I recommend you sending them to Jon's Tinted Tails and him do them professionally. He has done two sets of tail lights for me and he does a very high quality job. His website is www.jonstintedtails.com.

sorry to hi-jack ur post but i was just wondering if anyone knew where i can get an inverter for my ccfl's? my left one went out and i can't find them. anyone let me know, thanks

I just painted over the side markers with car paint and clearcoat. The light wont shine through anymore but they were out anyways. I like it better because at night you dont get that orange light coming through the black.

nice work! I just noticed the binder clips holding the rings in. Is that how all the 00-02 angel eyes are? I got ones big enough on my 04 to bond to the back of the lighting bezel so I was just curious.

sorry to hi-jack ur post but i was just wondering if anyone knew where i can get an inverter for my ccfl's? my left one went out and i can't find them. anyone let me know, thanks
I have three sets of inverters if you want a set. I recommend replacing both at the same time. PM me for more info.

I bought these more than once (multipule ccfl installs). They are the best fit that i've found for the 00 - 02 LS head lights. They are on e-bay listed as:
BMW E39/E65/E66/M5/540/745 CCFL OEM Angel Eyes UPGRADE

I got them from this guy: wolfpackman
You can email him at this address: wolfpackman@xsmail.com
Just paste this in the e-mail (BMW E39/E65/E66/M5/540/745 CCFL OEM Angel Eyes UPGRADE) and ask if you can have them for $70.00, he should be happy to sell them to you.

So these fit perfectly into a 1st gen headlight??? (or does it still need support bya binder clip, etc.)

One of my inverters went out also. I can tell you how I fixed mine. If you take off the black plastic casing and look at the actual circuit board, you should see a tiny glass fuse type connection on one end next to the connector. On mine, that fuse blew. I took a pair of pliers and just busted all the glass off the wires. Then I pressed them together to complete the connection until I have time to solder it. I know it's not the best idea to bypass that fuse, but it blew just a week after I got the ccfl's. I'm way too impatient to order a new inverter. :rolleyes: This might be your problem too. Had I known this was a problem for others I would've taken some pics.

damn, i feel so stupid because i threw out the inverter after i did open it and didn't what part was wrong. it was all covered with white clay or something tho so i can't imagine how i would've been able to take anything out from there. greyghost please pm for the price of the inverter shipped

Hey Phat,

That's one sharp looking Silver LSE. Post more pictures.

As for tinting I recommend jonstintedtails.com I had my car done by him and am still very pleased with the outcome the tint is as slick as the paint on the car itself My brother and I niteshaded his 02 Acura CL's tails. we cleaned them painted them and even cleared them and they are so faded you cant tell that they have been tinted at all. both cars were done around august or september last year.

Members online

No members online now.
Back