Performance Plug Wires? (Nology?)

Good to know for the future..I did use a coin style to gauge it but only slid it in a bit then gently lifted up not using the plug for leverage so I wouldn't possably bend or dammage the point. Most of them didn't need any adjusting and the 2 or 3 that did was very very minor (.001-.0025) or something like that. I will know here shortly hopefully whats up.

OK so I have the plugs out now, etc....they are all coated in a somewhat hard black substance (carbon?) that you can scrape off w/ your thumb. Its equal on all plugs. Only things that have changed again, are plug wires and plugs.

My god, am I glad I converted to COP! Not that I had much choice...

It's the noligy wires! LOL. Maybe you should try the motorcraft platinums that came with it or autolite 764 platinums. Did you ground all of the spark plug wires? Maybe break a vacuum line?

It's the noligy wires! LOL. Maybe you should try the motorcraft platinums that came with it or autolite 764 platinums. Did you ground all of the spark plug wires? Maybe break a vacuum line?

At least he gained 7 rwhp/10rwtq for the problems he is having! :rolleyes:

Seven-dollar plugs on a naturally aspirated Mark VIII!?!?!?! :eek:

Where did you get the plugs at? Wal-Mart sells $hit... reject seconds.

Come on, WalMart does sell a lot of crap, and their employees SUCK! but there is nothing wrong with the spark plugs from there. They are no different then the ones sold anywhere else. You always get a better deal on your plugs and oil at walmart. Is there oil reject seconds as well?:D

Come on, WalMart does sell a lot of crap, and their employees SUCK! but there is nothing wrong with the spark plugs from there. They are no different then the ones sold anywhere else. You always get a better deal on your plugs and oil at walmart. Is there oil reject seconds as well?:D

Yes Wal-Mart oil is seconds. I had a friend who worked in Wal-Mart automotive department they pull the lables off the oil boxes. He was ordered to do it. Also this has been metioned on some of the Saturday automotive shows. Wal-Mart picks up seconds from companys so that they can charge a lower price.

Walmart can sell spark plugs and oil cheaper because of economies of scale.

They are Autolite Iridium Extreme Perfomance XP 104 I bought at NAPA Auto Parts here in The Seattle, WA area from the guys and gal we have worked with there for over 12 years. Thats what they have listed as stock when I was at Ford and NAPA. As you all know, this sweet ride costs you to maintain.

I did go back and check and double check every thing I could as I took it back apart, and yes Every wire was grounded and checked to make sure the circuit was complete. The only slightly loose thing I found was a clip underneath where the wires run across to the alternator but more on the passenger side next to the intake and one of the cover's nut and washer post. Haven't had the time to look it up yet.

Its seems like it may be one of three overall issues revolving around fuel as per say trouble shooting via MK8 manuel... Cold plugs...some sort of issue having to do with fuel and or air mix and combustion....and then any number of things that have some kind of effect on any of the above.

Question about the throttle body butterfly valve, does it run in some kind of linear function or are the both supposed to open the same distance at the same time. With mine the driver side opens far and smoothly with some effort. The passenger side only opens as far as a reguler rulers thickness but does so easily. Is that normal function?

So far mass airflow sensor, injectors, TPS, airfilter, fuel filter, oil and filter, plug and plug wires, radiator and hoses, alternator and battery have all been replaced and the MAS and injectors were cleaned professionaly and I only use Chevron 92 gas. This was all the past 6 months or less and multiple times for the basics of course.

I know I hi jacked my own thread ha ha, but I have to systematicly go through and figure out whats working right and whats not. Just saying thanks to everyone for the opinions and input no matter if people agreed or disagreed.

Here are 2 photos of the Autolite HP 104 iridium plugs after 2 weeks use.

RV-MK8-plug2.jpg

RV-MK8-plug1.jpg

I'm only reporting what my friend told me. He said stay way from the oil as it's not the same as you are getting elsewhere. But be it as it may. I avoid it. Why take the chance for $1.00 over other places.

I agree with Walmart selling seconds. I seel a lot of firearms (legally, I'm a Clas IIIA NFA FFL Dealer), and I have customers telling me all the time "Well, walmart has the same rifle for xyz price". I tell them to go buy it at walmart then. Several have come back to me and bought the same make model rifle they bought at walmart only days prior. Why? Because the stuff Walmart sells is second production runs. Simple as that. Yes, they do get deep discounts when buying such large volume of product, but why get first production runs when they can save even more on second production runs?

They are Autolite Iridium Extreme Perfomance XP 104 I bought at NAPA Auto Parts here in The Seattle, WA area from the guys and gal we have worked with there for over 12 years. Thats what they have listed as stock when I was at Ford and NAPA. As you all know, this sweet ride costs you to maintain.

I did go back and check and double check every thing I could as I took it back apart, and yes Every wire was grounded and checked to make sure the circuit was complete. The only slightly loose thing I found was a clip underneath where the wires run across to the alternator but more on the passenger side next to the intake and one of the cover's nut and washer post. Haven't had the time to look it up yet.

Its seems like it may be one of three overall issues revolving around fuel as per say trouble shooting via MK8 manuel... Cold plugs...some sort of issue having to do with fuel and or air mix and combustion....and then any number of things that have some kind of effect on any of the above.

Question about the throttle body butterfly valve, does it run in some kind of linear function or are the both supposed to open the same distance at the same time. With mine the driver side opens far and smoothly with some effort. The passenger side only opens as far as a reguler rulers thickness but does so easily. Is that normal function?

So far mass airflow sensor, injectors, TPS, airfilter, fuel filter, oil and filter, plug and plug wires, radiator and hoses, alternator and battery have all been replaced and the MAS and injectors were cleaned professionaly and I only use Chevron 92 gas. This was all the past 6 months or less and multiple times for the basics of course.

I know I hi jacked my own thread ha ha, but I have to systematicly go through and figure out whats working right and whats not. Just saying thanks to everyone for the opinions and input no matter if people agreed or disagreed.

Here are 2 photos of the Autolite HP 104 iridium plugs after 2 weeks use.

Looks like oil is getting past your spark plug cover seals, the valve covers need to come off to change them though. This maybe causing your issues. If not willing to change yet, I would use cheap Autolite 764 coppers and check/change them often.

Yes Wal-Mart oil is seconds. I had a friend who worked in Wal-Mart automotive department they pull the lables off the oil boxes. He was ordered to do it. Also this has been metioned on some of the Saturday automotive shows. Wal-Mart picks up seconds from companys so that they can charge a lower price.

So as far as seconds go, Does this mean the actual oil or whatever product it may be is not made correctly? Or is it just the packaging? I just don't understand how Mobile 1 oil sold at walmart is different then the Mobile 1 sold at autozone?

I do agree that walmart generaly sells crap though!

I agree with Walmart selling seconds. I seel a lot of firearms (legally, I'm a Clas IIIA NFA FFL Dealer), and I have customers telling me all the time "Well, walmart has the same rifle for xyz price". I tell them to go buy it at walmart then. Several have come back to me and bought the same make model rifle they bought at walmart only days prior. Why? Because the stuff Walmart sells is second production runs. Simple as that. Yes, they do get deep discounts when buying such large volume of product, but why get first production runs when they can save even more on second production runs?

Haha. You guys (Rich) are funny. I've been selling to Walmart for over 18 years. I only wish I could make enough 'seconds' to stock Walmart nationally. What utter nonsense. Would they sometimes buy overstocks and things of that nature from a current vendor? Why, sure. And why not I might add.

You guys make it sound like they are going to the dump and syphoning oil out of the recycling bin. Ya, that's it.

All this other cockadoo is just that.

As to the other (one of many) subjects in this thread, those plugs look like they are running rich imho. You probably have lots of fresh carbon on the exhaust tips too would be my guess.
The guys

Of course he does, he sells magical plug wires that make 7 rwhp/10 rwtq on stock Mark VIIIs. :)

However, on the Wal-Mart issue, I agree with him. I don't believe oil or 99% of other products sold there are any different than anywhere else.

Oil, probably not. But manufactured goods... yes. All of them? No, ofcourse not.

Go buy a mini 14 from walmart. If the barrel is not warped, I will pay for your purchase.

Now granted, Ruger's improved the mini 14's barrels quite a bit in recent years, and nowadays you're 99% sure to get one with a straight barrel if it's obtained through a distribuitor. Alas, that is not the case with the Wally world mini 14's.

Oil, probably not. But manufactured goods... yes. All of them? No, ofcourse not.

Go buy a mini 14 from walmart. If the barrel is not warped, I will pay for your purchase.

Now granted, Ruger's improved the mini 14's barrels quite a bit in recent years, and nowadays you're 99% sure to get one with a straight barrel if it's obtained through a distribuitor. Alas, that is not the case with the Wally world mini 14's.

No worries from me Froggy - I don't shop at Wal-Mart. Ever.

The way they do business is bad for America, and I will not support it. There is a Wal-Mart literally one block from house, and it has been there for four years now. I've still never been inside.

Paul.

everytime i walk into wal mart. i just remember that one episode of south park, where the kids had to destroy the wal mart....lol

I wouldn't buy spark plugs or oil at walmart if they were half price. The time I'd be wasting parking, walking 3 miles, then standing in line with the wretched masses (no offense) that shop there more than offsets the savings.

You are correct, So whats up with his car? The plugs look like they have been running rich to me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back