Faulty Brakes

BLACK LS8

LVC Member
Reaction score
At Time My Brakes Will Give Out Completely. Then Come Right Back As If Nothing Happened. What Could This Be?

We need a bit more info. Year and engine would be helpful, but what we really need is to know what you mean by "will give out completely" and what the circumstances are when it happens. F'rinstance, does the pedal go all the way to the floor, or does it pulsate, or does it feel fine, but the car seems to take a long time to stop? Also, how were you driving when it happened? Were you autocrossing, or in heavy stop and go traffic, or did it just happen all of a sudden (ie, you stopped at a stop sign, then the next one you rolled through)? Can you replicate the problem, or does it just happen randomly?

One thing to keep in mind, if you're new to the LS, is that its near 50%-50% front to rear weight distribution and its anti-dive/anti-lift suspension geometry can make its braking performance deceptive. It doesn't pitch forward like most cars, so it can sometimes seems like it's not braking well when it really is.

If you can flesh out the story a little more, I'm sure we can help...

Yeah and more info. If you are really losing all braking that is a serious problem and if you are under warranty that is a potential lawsuit against Ford if anything bad happens so I bet that gets taken care of quickly. If you are out of warranty, then it would depend on service record and age whether Ford would feel there is a legal threat or just make you eat the repair.

Either way you should get it fixed quickly and tell us more.

Jim Henderson

What types of brake pads are you using and how hard are you running them? For example, I experienced the same issue in the twisties, but I was running on the edge into every turn. Very hard on the brakes. I'm assuming since you have an 01 that you do not still have the factory pads on there.

Yeah It's An '01 V8. It Just Happens Randomly. Only Twice So Far. My Ol Man Was Driving It In The City And Rearended Someone But Very Lightly. And I Almost Got Plowed By A Ups Truck. Not Hard On The Brakes At All. I Was Coming To S Stop At The End Of A Short Driveway On A Slight Decline. The I Pushed The Peddle 1/2 Way And It Didn't Stop. So I Went All The Way Down And The Peddle Began To Pulsate. But Still Didn't Stop. I Was Going About 4mph. I Put It In Park To Keep From Becoming A Hood Orniment. Then After It Happened The Brakes Work As If Nothing Had Happened, For Me And My Dad. Electrical? Could Be. I Guess You Guys Havent Her Of This Happening Much Then? Well Let Me Know.

brakes began to pulsate? Sounds like "could" be abs module or something abs related but that wouldn't explain why the pedal went all the way down. likely a booster or master cylinder but I'd be getting it checked out ASAP....

brakes began to pulsate? Sounds like "could" be abs module or something abs related but that wouldn't explain why the pedal went all the way down. likely a booster or master cylinder but I'd be getting it checked out ASAP....

+1

No Brakes!!

It sounds like we have the same problem as BLACK LS8. On several occaisions the brakes just wouldn't stop the car. Up till now we've only run some red lights and missed a rew turns but it's very scary... you push the pedal and the car just keeps going. It will slow down somewhat but won't stop. We have a 2006 LS V8 with only about 7,000 miles on it. We brought it to the dealer and they say there's nothing wrong (ha ha!). The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time and afterwards the car behaves as if everything is fine. Doesn't make for very comfortable driving. What to do? Any suggestions?

It sounds like we have the same problem as BLACK LS8. On several occaisions the brakes just wouldn't stop the car. Up till now we've only run some red lights and missed a rew turns but it's very scary... you push the pedal and the car just keeps going. It will slow down somewhat but won't stop. We have a 2006 LS V8 with only about 7,000 miles on it. We brought it to the dealer and they say there's nothing wrong (ha ha!). The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time and afterwards the car behaves as if everything is fine. Doesn't make for very comfortable driving. What to do? Any suggestions?

umm, did you say 2006 LS with 7,000 miles? take it back to the dealer and tell them you refuse to take the car back until they replace or fix...
failing brakes doens't seem too common on the LS but i've been in numerous OLD late 80's cars/trucks where the brakes just failed on the highway at 50+ mph....not good, worse than having the throttle get stuck in a 89 F150 I-6 on a bridge:eek:

That's what I did. Three weeks ago. They still have the car and they still can't figure it out. Of course the problem doesn't manifest itself when the dealer drives it (that figures!) but I told them I won't take it back unless it's fixed or replaced (not taking any more chances... ). Meanwhile they gave me this PT Cruiser to drive, I contacted Ford Motor Co. and got them in on the act, The dealer is starting to bitch that they want the PT Cruiser back... and I miss My LS!!!

likely a booster or master cylinder but I'd be getting it checked out ASAP....
Booster no, Master cylinder... more likely than the booster but still probably not. This has gotta be something in the ABS system. Either the module is going bad, or a wire or sensor is shorting and causing the module to think a wheel is locked. Im betting on the module.

The dealer is starting to bitch that they want the PT Cruiser back... and I miss My LS!!!
Tell them you're not bringing their car back until they've fixed yours. Its still under warranty, you can make the replace the ENTIRE brake system if they have to. Its a hazard to you and other drivers for that vehicle to be on the road. Ford needs to fix the problem, or buy the car back and/or give you a new one.

Maybe your brake fluid is low and hitting a air bubble gap in the system, alignment of the brake pads... Id go with these guy's opinions first but it wouldn't hurt to check

Wow! I Honestly Didn't Expect To Hear About The Same Problem On An '06! Well If They Figure It Out Let Me Know. For Now I Just Stay Prepared To Turn Off The Traction Control, Put It In Neutral And Pull The E-brake. A Sort Of Mental Training I Guess.

Yes, that would certainly keep you on your toes. If anyone (the dealer, FoMoCo, me, etc.) ever figures this out I'll let you know.

I don't see why the dealership would really care, your car is under warranty so they are getting paid regardless, sounds like a :q:q:q:qball dealership. Who gives out chryslers at a Lincoln dealership.

Unfortunately for me I think your characterization of the dealership is correct. Before I got Ford involved they were trying to convince me that I was pressing the accelerator and brake simultaneously or some such nonsense. I was beginning to wonder whether or not they'd even attempted to make a real diagnosis.
The PT Cruiser "loaner" is from a cooperating rental company. I don't know why they don't give Lincolns as loaners... may also have something to do with above mentioned characterization. :)

Members online

Back