charging problem

95Marklll(Kingcobra)

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
K, the car did something wierd last night, while racing my friend the battery light came on right afterwards, It later turned off and I thought nothing of it. I turn the car off for a half hr get back in the car and I cruise around slow at like 30-45 occassionally stoping and going. Out of no were the inside components started to fade out the inside lights fade out speado dies and my car slowly lost juice and died. My friend gave me a jump and I made it about a mile and a half and it did the same. He gave me a second jump and I ended up rolling into my driveway as the car once again died. So I get home take the battery out and throw it on the charger, reads dead. I let it sit all night to a full charge, throw the battery in and drive to the autozone closes to my house. The guy puts it on dynostics and tells me the car reads a charged battery and a altenator that works? I thought it was the altenator but he said it reads fine, he tells me to put on the head lights they go on and then all the sudden there out? My running lights all the sudden dont work the only way my lights work now is with the manual switch on the panel, so the running lights are out now. The guy told me as he was reading that the altenator was giving out 10 amps then was draining 10 amps? He told me he thinks theres a shortage somewhere. So I drive the car home get it on the driveway do the whole inspection drive it around and now for some reason the charging system seems fine but no more running lights? I have no idea whats up with my car and I apologize for such a long post, I would really appreciate feedback asap if possible, O and by the way the car I raced was a 89 gt conv with some boltons and I smoked him, lol.

first off, don't test the battery or alternator as a system. Take them out and get them tested individually. I say its the alt because the battery was supplying feedback voltage when tested. This is just an assumption. Could be bad wires or terminals.

I am in no way a mechanic but I believe this would be your alternator. If what you are describing is the same as what happened with my car. A few months back my car started acting funny every so often when I would stop at a light and wait for a few seconds. My radio would die, my first warning light would come on above my radio and my readout screen would start to fade. Later it got worse on my 3 hour drive home when ever i wasn't giving it any gas it would start to die and then i got a check charging system light. Well I turned off every electronic thing not nessesary like traction control, radio, ac, and over drive(didn't want anything sucking up power), and at every red light i would drop it to nuetral and lightly rev the engive to keep it alive. I got home and began to roll up my windows... they get halfway up and the car dies(At least I made it home).
After a month of gathering money(just after christmas and girlfriend sucked up my money) I bought an altornator and autozone was kind enough to give me a brand new battery(An Employee somehow dropped and broke my battery when I took it in to get charged). After Installing the new alternator and having a new battery in I have had no problems in 2 months.
Sorry for my ramblings but wanted to explain more of my situation to see if it matched up with yours. So if I had to bet I would say it was your alternator.

Alternator. BTW if he said your alt was giving out 10 amps and it was ok he is full of sh!t. The alt. should be giving well over 100 amps at raised rpm.

Mine went bad in pretty much the same way. Is this a big problem with these cars? I noticed that the alt I had to replace was actually a NAPA rebuild, so I was not the first to replace it.

Mine went bad in pretty much the same way. Is this a big problem with these cars?
I wouldn't say its a big problem but because the alt provides the power to everything when the car is running and the car is controlled by computers it really screws with things when the voltage starts to drop. I had all sorts of weird things happen the first time my alt dropped out.

Alts go... I took the one off my 95 and put it on my 94 when I tucked my 95 away for the winter. Now I have to get an Alt for the 95 before I can bring it out. Should do it this week.

Sounds like the alt. for sure i really appreciate this, I was wondering do all of u have gator back belts? I was thinking when we get on it with are cars then get off with regular belts we get that screech of belt slippage over time could this slippage wear out the alt. faster then it should be worn out? Also one other thing my dad pointed out ontop of my alt. and all of yours too we have that plug what is that plug? My plug is just sitting in there the clamp broke it seemed would a loose plug be a problem? And when your guys alt. started to go was it a on off problem were sometimes it was fine and other times it would give u problems?

I wouldn't say its a big problem but because the alt provides the power to everything when the car is running and the car is controlled by computers it really screws with things when the voltage starts to drop. I had all sorts of weird things happen the first time my alt dropped out.

Would running lights go out? Also how much will a new alt., battery, and gator back belt cost me?

K, new alt. and a gatorback belt, problem solved. I have running lights again and everything is back to normal, also no more belt slippage on the alt. that belt fixed it so glad I put one on with the new alt. Thanks alot for your guys help ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back