Air suspention problem--HELP--

1996mark8green

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My car has a problem its completelly slammed to the ground not a single airbag has air in it , it will start the compressor and pump but no air gets to the system it is like it is venting . It has done this a couple of times but now it wont seem to come back is there anything i can do i have to leave for new york tomorrow and cant drive it this way please help

It has over-heat protection in the relay. You can usually get two back to back cycles no problem, but then anymore can be a problem, even in cold conditions.

It sounds like an air-line can out of the dryer on the back of the compressor. You may also have a damaged line. Worst case scenario is that the dryer broke off the compressor - I've had it happen twice.

You should hear the air shooting out form somewhere, can you locate the leak?

no leak evedint

I looked for leaks and i hear none , I have air comeing to back but it builds no pressure if i take line off while pump is running it hisses quit loudlly then i can plug it off with little effort . the dryer seems tight enough ( OF COURSE IT MOVES A LITTLE due to only being connected at one point ) it just seems to me like its venting though the solinoid valve although i have no idea where it is hell if i did would disconect it and pump it up maybe

Your vent valve on the compressor might be stuck open if your airsprings don't leak.

If your airsprings leak, your compressor might be worn out at this point. I'd try to jack it up a little and see if it pumps up then.

any way to get air into the system?

I have tried to rattle the vent valve and still nothing is there any other way to get air into the system . i have a tire compressor and could cut the hose but what would i clamp it to . iam in a motel parking lot with limited tools in md i know if i disconect solinoids to trap air in them then the system wont restart

Find a leak. It could be any where.

First, check the areas around the compressor.
Then check each air spring.
-and then, I'd recommend sticking your head inside the truck and listening very close. Once, the cross braces behind the seat on my Mark VIII broke and cut a hole in the air line that crosses the car there.

It sounds like your vent solenoid is stuck open. If that's the case, you need to get another compressor. If you need the car by Monday, it looks like you'll have to rent one.

Good luck.

I agree on the stuck vent solenoid being open, its a good possibility. Like said, check for leaks. The dryer can break off yet still seem secure, put your finger around the connecting point it to see if you feel a leak since this leak CAN sound like a stuck vent solenoid leak.

You could also remove the air lines from the dryer one by one then put your finger on the open port to rule out leaks in air lines and bags - one by one. Make sense?

You could even remove all the lines and places your fingers on all ports. If you get no pressure you know where the leak is - before the dryer, not in the lines or bags/bag solenoids.

relay

check u'r air system relay, sometimes they go bad. will let compressor run but not let sensor open.

What are you talking about? There is no sensor to open? If the compressor runs, air enters the system, there is no gate/solenoid for that. There IS a vent solenoid as mentioned that can get physically stuck, in which case the air is diverted out of the system.

temp fix solved

Just to let everyone know I had to get to work the next day and needed to get on road so I determined that the vent valve was stuck open then removed lines from front of drier ( now for the redneck eng) took three- three way Ts and conected with reinforced hose now i had 5 points to conect to then clamped all hoses to 4 points then purchaced a valve stem for a tire and clamped it to the other conection . then used a tire compressor to air up suspention but had to cycle it many times , the compressor would come on and try to pump and open all the solinoids for me to add air .. and it is still holding air and i will do a convertion when i get back in may ( to my house in michigan ) Thanks for all the suggestions

Just to let everyone know I had to get to work the next day and needed to get on road so I determined that the vent valve was stuck open then removed lines from front of drier ( now for the redneck eng) took three- three way Ts and conected with reinforced hose now i had 5 points to conect to then clamped all hoses to 4 points then purchaced a valve stem for a tire and clamped it to the other conection . then used a tire compressor to air up suspention but had to cycle it many times , the compressor would come on and try to pump and open all the solinoids for me to add air .. and it is still holding air and i will do a convertion when i get back in may ( to my house in michigan ) Thanks for all the suggestions

I'm not going to sell one or the other, but-

since your air ride is otherwise good, you do have the option of just replacing the air compressor ($150)

Or, for insurance, replacing the compressor and installing a Spider Valve. Which will bypass the weak factory vent and also remove moisture from the air ride system. Figure $350 and no more than 90 minutes of work.

If you have new airbags, this isn't a bad option. But having been "maintaining" my Marks air ride for several years now, I can understand the appeal of the conversion. Frankly, if I weren't so heavily invested in air ride now, I might have done it.

Members online

Back