overheating :(

victor_vera

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im pretty new to this forum as you see :) Ive been out of state for about two months know but I returned to a major problem, On the way back to work after coming home for lunch I noticed my A/C wasnt blowing cold air (very unusual as my car has always had a very cold A/C) I turned it off and the Temp gauge was all the way up!. I let the car coast until I reached an exit, car didnt really seem to be overheating or at least not making any sounds indicating boilover or anything, Im assuming it went into "fail safe mode" anyways Ive been reading through your posts and most common overheating issues and It seems cracked coolant tanks is a common issue. I did notice a leak coming from under the driver side near the coolant tank, so Im hoping that is my problem, but how In the world to I take it off? Is it a do it yourself project? Or should I take it in and have them rape my checking account :(. If at all possible do you guys have any tips, or instructions on how to do this? Any help would be appreciated. To top it off the tranny on my 03 avalanche seemed to bite the dust last night, wont kick into 4th gear engine just revs up :(. luckily im on vacation until next Thursday so if I could fix the Lincoln that would really get me out of a jam..knowing how GM is its gonna cost an arm and leg to fix the Chevy.

I'm sure you went into fail safe mode. Most do. As for the AC and the spiked temp, have you checked the thermostat to see if it's stuck? How much coolant is in the reservoir tank?.....If you see fluid as you described from the driver's side, then more than likely you have a cracked reservoir tank. Very common and IIRC the crack is very hard to find. I don't think they cost all that much and many have replaced it themselves. Do a search on reservoir tanks and thermostats, you should find everything you will need to know. I can't remember very many of the particular's, but I know I've read it all before.

if you PM me, I'll try to get you some instructions on how to remove/install. This is providing my service manual DVD will let me copy and paste. We'll see... It's just too late right now. PM me

Coolant Tank

OK guys I took the car to a buddys house, since I live in apartments im not allowed to work on the car, anyways Itook the Coolant tank out and ofcourse It was cracked down along three edges, I went to lincoln got the part $140! for a piece of plastic. Installed the tank, now I found Quick LS's instructions on bleeding the air out but Im confused at how to open the engine air bleed, I have a 5spd so I have the 3.0 engine, I found it but its a plastic thing with a slot, the only thing I can do with it is turn it, but how much do I turn it? how do I know when Its open or closed?

Not to hijack, but I have a question along similar lines. I have a coolant leak. I never see any coolant on the ground, but I smell it when I park or pull up to a light with my windows down. (That faint syrupy smell).

I overheated b/c of a blown hose at the water-neck and now all the hoses have been replaced on the front of the engine. The thermostat has been replaced. The temp has been consistently in the center since then, but periodically I have to top off the coolant. When I overheated, it ran hot, dinged that warning noise, went into fail safe, and I coasted to a gas station and shut down.

Any thoughts?

I have the overheating problem with mine so the first thing i did was change the thermostat, its fairly cheap and its kinda preventative anyways. A few weeks later the problem came up again since the coolant was low again. So i presently have a new reservoir on its way and gonna put that in. But you can tell mine has a leak because you see a few drops every day or 2 on the driveway.

I tried :(

Ok guys I tried to do my best to fix the problem, the car doesnt seem to over heat but once in a while the temp gauge goes up to about 3/4 but then drops back down to normal. Is there something I should be aware of? I dont mean to be hesitant but I really dont have the $$ to spend to take it to a dealer and I dont know any good trusty mechanics here in phoenix. It never did this before I changed the resivour tank, It had to be that since the car doesnt go to fail safe mode. My concern is I might not got all the air out of the coolant system. I need some advice please. I cant afford to have this car break down on me. any advice is appreciated very much.

i may be wrong but on my last two cars, 94 towncar and tahoe, u can leave the radiator cap off and run the car with the heater on and just fill it up as it goes down until it stops going down, but i would wait for a second opinion cause i dont know the ls in and out, on my tahoe i had the same problem with spiking temp, turns out two things, rad was low on fluid and thermostat was stuck close so the engine wasnt getting circulated cooled water

Its a tytpical problem that happend to me as well as all the other BS with this car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back