Inner tie rod swap..

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i need to swap the inner tie rods on my steering rack as the joints inside the rubber bellows have play in them, so i have 2 questions.

1) When i remove the old bellows, is any steering fluid likely to empty out?
2) Do i need any special tools, for this job?

Thanks

1) Possible
2) Yes. I forgot what it looks like, but I know the answer is yes.

It might be cost effective to swap the entire rack.

It's really a piece of cake. Just loosten the clamp securing the large end of the bellows and slide it carefully off the rack and equalizer tube. Take a pair of pliers and squeeze (open) the clamp on the tie rod end of the bellows and slide it onto the tie rod. The bellows sits in a little groove on the tie rod. Take a screwdrover and genlty pry it out and slide it down the tie rod.

In the end of the rack, (now visable) you will find a large nut. There should be a roll pin in the nut driven straingt in. Take some dikes and pry the roll pin out. (I've also done this without removing the pin in it has been sheered off) Using a large wrench, turn the large nut (with tie rod protruding through) and remove. There you have it. Reinstall is reverse. Have allignment done.

There WILL be some residual fluid in the boot, nomatter what condition your rack is in. If it is leaking enough to be a problem, the boot will leak during normal operation, so dont sweat a little fluid.

Believe me, removing the rack is not fun! It looks easy, but getting the steering coupling on and off is a pain in the fratis!
Art

It's really a piece of cake. Just loosten the clamp securing the large end of the bellows and slide it carefully off the rack and equalizer tube. Take a pair of pliers and squeeze (open) the clamp on the tie rod end of the bellows and slide it onto the tie rod. The bellows sits in a little groove on the tie rod. Take a screwdrover and genlty pry it out and slide it down the tie rod.

In the end of the rack, (now visable) you will find a large nut. There should be a roll pin in the nut driven straingt in. Take some dikes and pry the roll pin out. (I've also done this without removing the pin in it has been sheered off) Using a large wrench, turn the large nut (with tie rod protruding through) and remove. There you have it. Reinstall is reverse. Have allignment done.

There WILL be some residual fluid in the boot, nomatter what condition your rack is in. If it is leaking enough to be a problem, the boot will leak during normal operation, so dont sweat a little fluid.

Believe me, removing the rack is not fun! It looks easy, but getting the steering coupling on and off is a pain in the fratis!
Art

Thanks for tips, this was what i was kind of hoping the job would be like. Just one more question though, i have play in this joint, and am just assuming that it is the tie-rod that is worn. Is this usually the case with these racks? or should i open it up and inspect before i buy the parts in?

It's really quite easy to look at the inner rod end, however, if there is play, it is toast. This is too important of a steering part to take chances with. For 30someodd dollars plus an allignment, you keep from buying a set of tires prematurely or worse yet, having the rod become disconnected and dragging your pride and joy off the road.

If the rack is shot, you will see both wheels move together without any steering wheel movement.
Art

Members online

No members online now.
Back