Just bought my first Lincoln, I have a few questions

rgurleyjr

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I posted in the Continental section but it seems like this forum is frequented more often and I need some answers:)
My first Lincoln is a 1995 Continental with 165,000 miles. I believe the Mark's came with the same 4.6 engine in that year. How reliable are the engines and transmissions? Are the Mark and Continental close to the same? Is there a lot of things that go wrong?
I understand the air bags get some people a problem. When I start the car, I can hear the air bag motor or something for about 5-6 seconds. Is that common?
Also, my car came without a cd changer in that year. What kind of options do I have to get one? Can I get one from a newer Lincoln and will it just plug right up? The dash looks like I won't be able to just go to your common audio stor and get a dash mounted cd player installed:(
I know this is the Mark forum, but I could use any answers. Thanks.

Engines are extremely reliable if taken care of. I'd suggest a tranny cooler for your transmission. I'd be surprised if it still has the original tranny. I'm not certain about the differences between the two, but I think the Conti was a SOHC? Its normal for the compressor to kick on when you start the car for a couple of seconds, just leveling it. The suspension or tranny is probably where you'll encounter your first problems with the car. As far as the CD player, I'm not sure what will match from other models but there should be no reason why you can't get a kit/adapter to an aftermarket CD player in.

I just went to crutchfield and type the car in and it comes up with all kinds of options for a CD player head unit. Try there first.

Thanks, I don't know what I was thinking. I thought the stock radio assembly was round but it's square so a kit can be used. I'll look into that.
As fas as the air bag motor, I have noticed that it comes on at different times when I'm driving too, more so when I hit a bump. Maybe that's normal?
Anyways, thanks for replying.

you might have a leaky air suspension, how often does the compressor come on?

my 96 conti went through two trannys :Beer the first was dealer installed :dunno:

and yes its normal for the air compressor to run for a while when you just start it up :monkey:

Last edited:
i have a 94 lincoln continental

rgurleyjr said:
I posted in the Continental section but it seems like this forum is frequented more often and I need some answers:)
My first Lincoln is a 1995 Continental with 165,000 miles. I believe the Mark's came with the same 4.6 engine in that year. How reliable are the engines and transmissions? Are the Mark and Continental close to the same? Is there a lot of things that go wrong?
I understand the air bags get some people a problem. When I start the car, I can hear the air bag motor or something for about 5-6 seconds. Is that common?
Also, my car came without a cd changer in that year. What kind of options do I have to get one? Can I get one from a newer Lincoln and will it just plug right up? The dash looks like I won't be able to just go to your common audio stor and get a dash mounted cd player installed:(
I know this is the Mark forum, but I could use any answers. Thanks.
yes its normal to hear the air shock motor it is adjusting. I had talked to the dealer about that.It is annoying lol. I had to replace the back air shocks a couple months ago. cost me 1200.00. The back end would sink down after i parked it. but yes its normal. i bought the 94 with 79000 miles on it 2 and a half years ago. It is now having engine problems that need looked at. I have invested alot in this car. :soapbox:

my lincoln needs help

Jibit said:
Engines are extremely reliable if taken care of. I'd suggest a tranny cooler for your transmission. I'd be surprised if it still has the original tranny. I'm not certain about the differences between the two, but I think the Conti was a SOHC? Its normal for the compressor to kick on when you start the car for a couple of seconds, just leveling it. The suspension or tranny is probably where you'll encounter your first problems with the car. As far as the CD player, I'm not sure what will match from other models but there should be no reason why you can't get a kit/adapter to an aftermarket CD player in.
My lincoln sounds horrible when idling and when i stop at lights whole front end starts rocking back and forth. I have also noticed a horrible smell coming from ehaust when its idling. Any chance this is the transmission? Drives fine on the highway but need to really floor it to go fast if you needed to pass someone. it has 134000 miles on it. I have replaced the back airshocks one front air shock thermostat water pump front cover, air flow sensor, belt. one light in the dash went out in the message center didnt pay for that. horn now stopped working! Please help!!! :tmi: this is a 94 lincoln continental signature series

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back