Alarm trouble [Help...!]

dtx01

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I get my dads friend who owns a stereo shop to install my old Prestige alarm system that I had in my Mazda 6 onto my LS. He installs it and I take it home and every twenty minutes the alarm would go off and on the keypad the door would be blinking. It wouldn't stop keep going off so for the night I just locked it manually and didn't alarm it. I brought it back to him this morning and he threw on a relay on one of the wires. He said the car sends information through some of the wires and it will set off the alarm without a relay. Now the relay is triggered by my interior lights going on and off, but it makes this loud f*cking buzzing sound and is driving me nuts.

Here is a small video of the relay making the noise.
http://incubii.com/relayLS.wmv

What should I do here to make it work without buzzing like crazy?? Is there another way to fix it?

::bump::

really need some input on this 1. that sound is so god damn annoying

After market alarms usually don't work well with the factory alarm. Your dealer is the best bet for the install of an other than Lincoln alarm. The LSes electrical system is very sensitive to current draw. I installed an additional trunk light. Without a relay the trunk light wouldn't work.

Do you think the relay is faulty? My alarm stopped going off randomly but that clicking sound is bugging me.

Do you think the relay is faulty? My alarm stopped going off randomly but that clicking sound is bugging me.

Possibly. It could also be a conflict between the relay/alarm and the factory electricals.

Well I moved a wire connecting to the relay and it makes a click every time I move it slightly and then when I let go it clicks again. I moved the relay in such a way that it doesn’t make the clicking anymore. But I accidentally hit one of the buttons for my alarm underneath the dash so the alarm won’t arm now. So I’m going to bring it back tomorrow and ask the owner to put a new relay on and not one of his lackeys. And also have him put the alarm settings back.

just realized after playing around for a little while by moving the relay a certain way i was disconnecting it somehow b/c my alarm won’t arm when i have it in that position. when i put it back and hit lock on my keypad will arm and lock. I think i may just have a bad relay or maybe a :q:q:q:qty ground. I don't know much about electrical so i'm just throwing these out there.

my dads buddy said he's never heard of that before on a relay and was like, "it all fine though." well he doesn’t have to live with every time a light goes on or a door opens a sound of a crazed bee in a tin can. i'm going to call him in the AM and ask him to have a real look at it.

if he doesn’t help i’m going to speak with one of my dads electrician friends.

my car does the exact same thing because of my alarm/remote start when i turn on or off the interior lights it makes a buzzing noise i hate it

I sure don't mean to sound rude, but if I were you, I would discreetly take it to another dealer and get it done correctly. No need to let your dad or his friend know. But there's something not right.

Why would one put an aftermarket alarm on top of the factory alarm in the first place?

I hope you resolve the problem.

well there's a few reasons why i put this alarm in.

a. when i sold my mazda i took the alarm out. it cost a lot of money.
b. i wanted the remote start option, NY can get really cold in the winter sometimes.
c. my neighborhood has had a lot of theft so it's nice to have a stronger alarm.
d. my car didn't come with any remotes so i had to get them anyways, so i just used the ones from my old car with the aftermarket alarm.

I'm gonna ask him nicely to replace the relay, i read online last night sometimes a buzzing relaying could mean it's going bad or maybe bad wiring/ground. if that doesnt work i'm going to contact my dealer and ask them if they would know.

well there's a few reasons why i put this alarm in.

a. when i sold my mazda i took the alarm out. it cost a lot of money.
b. i wanted the remote start option, NY can get really cold in the winter sometimes.
c. my neighborhood has had a lot of theft so it's nice to have a stronger alarm.
d. my car didn't come with any remotes so i had to get them anyways, so i just used the ones from my old car with the aftermarket alarm.

I'm gonna ask him nicely to replace the relay, i read online last night sometimes a buzzing relaying could mean it's going bad or maybe bad wiring/ground. if that doesnt work i'm going to contact my dealer and ask them if they would know.

Dont take this the wrong way, but I'm going to guess you are under the age of 25. I remember those days, and certain thought processes that come with youth. :)

I had a Prestige (Audiovox) alarm previously. I guess finances are relative, but never found them that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Regardless, expense isn't really a factor here. An alarm is only as good as it's installer, and in this case, sounds like the installer's knowledge/skill is questionable.

With regards to remote start, most auto manufacturers recommend you do NOT sit and let a cold car "warm" up. It wastes fuel, causes a lot more pollution, and is not necessarily good for the engine. The best way to warm an engine on a cold day is to get in, and simply drive off, without fast acceleration. An engine under load warms much faster and more efficiently than an idling engine. Even on the coldest days, it takes my LS no more than 10 minutes MAX to have a warm cabin. Most real men can tolerate 10 mins of a warming car. Im sure you can do it. :)

In addition, many counties (at least in Maryland) have passed laws making idling cars illegal. Cops actually cruise in the morning in my area, check for the telltale sign of exhaust vapor, check to see if anyones inside, and if not? $75 ticket. And no, they could care less about remote start security. They are simply enforcing a law created to try to limit the growing auto theft issue.

And lastly..what happens if your oil pressure light or other warning light comes on while your engine is running, and you are relaxing in your easy chair, waiting for your car to get nice and toasty..so you wont have to be cold for all of 9 minutes?

I doubt your Prestige is really providing any additional protection above and beyond the security features in the factory system. I think most law enforcement would agree, that if you keep your car locked, engine off unless you are in the car, and also utilize some sort of serious visual deterrent ala The Club, and keep any/all valuables out of view? Chances of a thief messing your LS are minimal. Too easy for the thief to move on to an easier target.

But good luck with all them wires and relays and buzzing and installers who seem to be quite questionable.

I hear where you are coming from but after 2 cars were broken into my driveway my whole family all got alarms. My neighbors car was stolen right out of his driveway. Someones car cover was stolen right off their car in their driveway. Someone threw a lit flare at my neighbor’s house and almost burnt it down. I know it was an impulse but I just want my vehicle safe.

..I know auto-start isn’t necessary but it's a nice convenience.

Members online

No members online now.
Back