Rear speakers in a sport

If you have the premium sound system, you should aleady have some back there. I have an '02 sport and it has 8 speakers: 4 door speakers, 2 small speakers on either side of the center console up towards the dash and 2 rear deck speakers. I think the rear ones are subs. Even if your car doesn't have this sound system, it will probably have the holes. I think they're 6X9. Mine are blown. I'm going to replace them soon.

if you do not already have the rear speakers - then you will also have to add a rear amp to drive them....

Try a "Speaker Walk Around" - radio on FM station - press the 3 and 6 buttons at the same time on the radio - you get sound out of RF then LF, LR, RR, rear then the front two center speakers. This works on my 04 sport.

YEA it don't have any rears.......
there is no wires back there either. i'm gonna be SOL to run a line out converter for the system, ill have to get the signal from the door speaker

Osaín said:
If you have the premium sound system, you should aleady have some back there. I have an '02 sport and it has 8 speakers: 4 door speakers, 2 small speakers on either side of the center console up towards the dash and 2 rear deck speakers. I think the rear ones are subs. Even if your car doesn't have this sound system, it will probably have the holes. I think they're 6X9. Mine are blown. I'm going to replace them soon.

ya it's odd cause the car has an alpine 6 disc, i figured that meant it had premium sound...... but no rear speakers

Hooliganscustomrides said:
ya it's odd cause the car has an alpine 6 disc, i figured that meant it had premium sound...... but no rear speakers

What year is your LS? The rear subs were dropped for, IIRC, model years 2001-2002 to save weight. The rest of the system is the same as the 2000.

Also, the way Ford numbers speakers, the original Alpine system has 12 speakers. As the door speakers are a 2-way plate, that's 2 speakers per door, the 2 console speakers and the 2 subs. The non-sub Alpine has 10 speakers.

Yes, I have. I recently upgraded the v8 ls sound system. Sounds incredible. Liked the factory look so I kept the deck. Upgraded the front speakers to 6 inch Infinity Reference Components powered by factory radio. The factory tweeters on each side of the middle console are still in place and functioning also.Rear door speakers were upgraded to 6x8 Kenwood 2-way. Added 6x9 Infinity Reference 3-way to the rear deck. The four Rear door/deck speakers receive power from a 4-channel 400 watt MTX amp which is mounted under the rear deck in the trunk. A single 12 JL audio sub resides in the trunk powered by an MTX 2channel 300 watt amp run in bridge mode. It is mounted in the cubby hole on the rear right side of the trunk. I took my time and stripped the whole interior out except for the front seats and dash. All new wiring was run from the amps to speakers. Speaker lines were run through the factory rubber boots for the doors. All speaker connections were soldered. I absolutely loved that the battery, an Optima yellow top, is located in the trunk. Believe it or not, it took me about 5 days, working a few hours a day, to complete the project. One thing that slowed me down was cleaning every part of the car that I had pulled out. The Armor-all Orange wipes are fantastic. With enough elbow grease, it will make whatever part look brand new. I took my time and have a lot of pride in my work (and the car) to do it right. I also ran a line level converter from the rear of the factory radio to the "hi" amp. The line level converter resides in the glove box. It has gain controls on it so I wanted to be able to access it easily. I only had to run one set of RCA's to the back of the car and of course the remote line. The "hi" MTX amp has an output that utilizes RCA's to send the signal to your SUB amp. The neat thing about the sub amp is that it has a remote gain level controller. I have the controller knob mounted below the traction control button on the center console.
There are holes on the rear deck for a couple of 6x9's. I had to "persuade" the sheetmetal to accept the speakers. I used a rubber mallet. It worked out well. I could have just mounted the speakers from the underside of the rear deck, but wanted the speakers to "sit" in something vs. "hang" from something. Have fun and take your time to do it right.

kedaigle said:
Yes, I have. I recently upgraded the v8 ls sound system. Sounds incredible. Liked the factory look so I kept the deck. Upgraded the front speakers to 6 inch Infinity Reference Components powered by factory radio. The factory tweeters on each side of the middle console are still in place and functioning also.Rear door speakers were upgraded to 6x8 Kenwood 2-way. Added 6x9 Infinity Reference 3-way to the rear deck. The four Rear door/deck speakers receive power from a 4-channel 400 watt MTX amp which is mounted under the rear deck in the trunk. A single 12 JL audio sub resides in the trunk powered by an MTX 2channel 300 watt amp run in bridge mode. It is mounted in the cubby hole on the rear right side of the trunk. I took my time and stripped the whole interior out except for the front seats and dash. All new wiring was run from the amps to speakers. Speaker lines were run through the factory rubber boots for the doors. All speaker connections were soldered. I absolutely loved that the battery, an Optima yellow top, is located in the trunk. Believe it or not, it took me about 5 days, working a few hours a day, to complete the project. One thing that slowed me down was cleaning every part of the car that I had pulled out. The Armor-all Orange wipes are fantastic. With enough elbow grease, it will make whatever part look brand new. I took my time and have a lot of pride in my work (and the car) to do it right. I also ran a line level converter from the rear of the factory radio to the "hi" amp. The line level converter resides in the glove box. It has gain controls on it so I wanted to be able to access it easily. I only had to run one set of RCA's to the back of the car and of course the remote line. The "hi" MTX amp has an output that utilizes RCA's to send the signal to your SUB amp. The neat thing about the sub amp is that it has a remote gain level controller. I have the controller knob mounted below the traction control button on the center console.
There are holes on the rear deck for a couple of 6x9's. I had to "persuade" the sheetmetal to accept the speakers. I used a rubber mallet. It worked out well. I could have just mounted the speakers from the underside of the rear deck, but wanted the speakers to "sit" in something vs. "hang" from something. Have fun and take your time to do it right.

Got any pics of that install?

Hooliganscustomrides said:

IIRC - the 'premium' sound package was the top of the line in the Sport model.

The Premium LS had an option to get the 'Audiophile' package which included the 85w rear amp and subs.

Your in for a treat if you have the same situation i had. lol.. I wanted 6X9 in the back on my 2000 LS V8 Sport. So got some MB quarts, went to install them, no go, so friend who does car installs here in town ground out the holes a little bit more to fit these ones, k no problem right.. WRONG!!.lol
The back deck with carpet has absolutely no holes cut out for 6X9's.. "Well" he said, lets do it custom style, only one out there look. So we jig sawed the whole center section of the back deck carpet thing a made a custom speaker cloth grill for the top to cover the new speakers and we also ended up punching out some hole on the back deck so we could get more of the sound from the Sub out of the trunk with the seats up.. I will definately post some pics up really soon to check it out.. came out awesome in my opinion..

hey kedaigle so do you have a kit for your yellow top battery because im thinking about purchasing one. i also want to know does our stock battery terminal fit the yellow tops?

k well here are some pics of the back deck after we took after it with a jig saw, small dremel, some die grinders with sanding stone.. lol.

73432034medium.gif

73433565medium.gif

73432034small.jpg

73432034.jpg

nortyhat said:
hey kedaigle so do you have a kit for your yellow top battery because im thinking about purchasing one. i also want to know does our stock battery terminal fit the yellow tops?

The stock battery terminals WILL fit the Optima Yellow Top. As far as any kits, if you are referring to how I got power from the battery to the amps, I used a fused distribution block. I used a ringed terminal at the positive post of the battery. There is a 4 gauge line from the battery to the fused distribution block. This box contains 2 fuses and splits the power to 2 8 gauge lines. Each line runs to its respective amp. I'll work toward getting some pics of the finished product tommorow.

jdsimons, That looks really good!
It took me a few to see what was done in the picture.

I ended up using the line level convertor, i got the rem from the back of the deck....... everything work all fine and dandy, but now i got a mean rattle from the third brake light. anyone else have this issue?

I used MA mono 1200, and 2 12' cf series DUB audiobahns....
i'd like to put up some pics, i cant' figure out the powertoys to hrink the pics for this site.

im actually talking about how did you get the yellow top to fit in the stock battery mount. or did you tie it down somehow? can you show me a pic of how you have them in? thanks.

instal pics

nortyhat said:
im actually talking about how did you get the yellow top to fit in the stock battery mount. or did you tie it down somehow? can you show me a pic of how you have them in? thanks.[/QUO

I had spare parts from some of my past vehicles. The red tie-down came from Advanced Auto. If I remember correctly, it came with two metal rods with hooks on one end and threads on the other. I had to modify the LS's factory battery tray by drilling it out to accept the hooked portion of the rods.

Here's the pics of post installation.

DSC03720.JPG

DSC03725.JPG

DSC03732.JPG

DSC03735.JPG

DSC03719.JPG

DSC03721.JPG

DSC03723.JPG

DSC03727.JPG

DSC03728.JPG

DSC03729.JPG

DSC03730.JPG

DSC03736.JPG

DSC03739.JPG

DSC03745.JPG

DSC03746.JPG

DSC03749.JPG

DSC03751.JPG

DSC03752.JPG

DSC03756.JPG

DSC03757.JPG

DSC03758.JPG

DSC03759.JPG

DSC03760.JPG

Great install on, looks great. Did a good job with wire management there and kept most of all your trunk space .. i like

I should take pics of mine, I just used a cut off wheel to cut out the cardboard were the speakers are supposed to go, then I put them in from the top. I used infinity references. The girlls match the car fairly nicely and looks almost stock.

hey kedaigle did you upgrade your alternator guage wire? thats what it look like. does the power wire from your alt to battery run under your car or through the side panel like where your door step is?

nortyhat said:
hey kedaigle did you upgrade your alternator guage wire? thats what it look like. does the power wire from your alt to battery run under your car or through the side panel like where your door step is?

No. I did nothing to the alternator line. I used the factory electrical line guides to run the both of the amps' power and ground lines. That definitely helped in keeping everything presentable.

i'll look again to be sure, but i do recall there being a large gauge line along the passenger side door sill. It was run in the same guide as other lines, just in a seperate channel.

ok thanks for your help because im buying a new alt 180 amp from ohio generator and their going to have to upgrade my power and ground wire so im wanting to know if it would take some crazy re-wiring to do. but thanks for the battery information, i still need a mount for my yellow top. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back