Another of GW's Empty Promises.........

JohnnyBz00LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
BuSh promised during his campaign to invest in the education of us Americans. Yet he and his GOP leaders are pushing to change elegibility rules for PAL grants for college loans that results in millions of low-to-middle income students becoming in-elegible for these loans. This is another of his many tactics being used to wedge the rich and low-middle class further apart, while at the same time hindering the poor from getting ahead in life.

Also, his plan to make 15 million illegal immigrants from Mexico all-of-a-sudden "legal"? Is this how he is going to address the immigration problem? Oh, that's right, he promised to increase the job-rolls in his next term. What he failed to specify was that those jobs were NOT going to be for Americans. Why, we have slave-labor pouring across our southern boarder just dying to take jobs away from US citizens. And those newly "legal" immagrants are not even going to elegible for protection by minimum wage laws?

:Bang

the big counter argument firms will use against outsourcing, is they are just reflecting the demands of the consumers.

Not to mention that making them legal will reduce the pressure to raise the minimum wage. Way to go Shrub, help your corporate cronys keep americans down!!!

These 'ditch-diggers' you guys are talking about are hard workers. They all pay federal, state, local, medicare and ss taxes. Because these 'ditch-diggers' are willing to do the work that nobody else in America 'wanted' to do, we were able to hire the secretaries and corporate staffers in manufacturing, shipping, accounting, and sales. It was the 'ditch-diggers' you guys put down that made it possible for everybody's job to be kept here in the US. Without them, see-you-later, welcome import/export world.

I don't really blame you guys for not understanding the problem, because you have never had to directly work with these problems, but the 'ditch-diggers' make it possible for many businesses to be able to 'afford' to operate here in the US. They pay into the system just like everybody else. Just because they are willing to work hard, and yes, make a little less, doesn't mean they don't serve a huge role. Without those people manning those positions, you can forget all about the higher paying staffing positions around them.

It is a brave new world. Don't like it? Go get yourself an education so you can earn what you feel you are worth. High paying, low skill jobs don't exist in the US anymore, and never will again.

Last edited by a moderator:
MonsterMark said:
It is a brave new world. Don't like it? Go get yourself an education so you can earn what you feel you are worth. High paying, low skill jobs don't exist in the US anymore, and never will again.

OK, say I'm a newly un-employed "ditch digger", replaced by a newly "legal" immigrant who took my job for $0.50 / hr less than I was being paid. So I decide to take your advice and further my education. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I can't get a PAL grant because GW just changed eligibility rules. I just got screwed not once, but TWICE by GW. And who benefited from this? DITCH-DIGGERS-R-US Inc. just bolster'd their profit margin because they sure as hell aren't going to pass the savings onto their customers, and another natural-born US citizen is un-employed. What part of THIS don't you understand??

JohnnyBz00LS said:
OK, say I'm a newly un-employed "ditch digger", replaced by a newly "legal" immigrant who took my job for $0.50 / hr less than I was being paid. So I decide to take your advice and further my education. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I can't get a PAL grant because GW just changed eligibility rules. I just got screwed not once, but TWICE by GW. And who benefited from this? DITCH-DIGGERS-R-US Inc. just bolster'd their profit margin because they sure as hell aren't going to pass the savings onto their customers, and another natural-born US citizen is un-employed. What part of THIS don't you understand??

*owned* The lies of the GOP the words that look so good but in practice hurt the Americans that they say they want to help.

Only ones helping those making 4 to 50 time what I make a year.

From FactCheck.org...

Kerry claimed the Bush administration had cut Pell Grants for low-income students to attend college. Bush said Pell Grants have been increased by a million students. Bush was correct.

Department of Education figures show the number of Pell Grants awarded the year before Bush took office was 3.9 million. The number grew to 5.1 million for the most recent academic year -- an increase of 1.3 million, actually.

Spending for Pell Grants grew from just under $8 billion in the academic year that was underway when Bush took office to nearly $12.7 billion three years later, a jump of nearly 60%. That's some "cut."

It is true that during the 2000 presidential campaign Bush promised to increase the maximum size of Pell Grants to $5,100 for first-year students, a promise that remains unfulfilled. The maximum grant has risen from $3,300 at the time Bush made that promise, but only to $4,050. Under Bush's proposed 2005 budget the maximum grant would remain frozen there for most students for the third year in a row.

In April Bush proposed an increase of as much as $1,000 in the maximum award, but only for those students who prepare for college with demanding courses in high school, which would allow only a small fraction of Pell Grant recipients to qualify for the maximum. So Kerry was correct when he said students are "not getting the $5,100 the president promised them."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This is a good site to figure out the truth...they bash and applaud both sides in a fair manner. The problem is that most people hear a claim from one person (usually a politician) and believe it as the gods honest truth. There is only one truth in politics...all of them lie to get your vote and they think you're too stupid to figure out their lies. Make Washington work for you by being able to see through the BS coming from all the political parties.

Hi Steve.

Welcome to the site.

Don't know if you have a party affilliation or not, (doesn't matter either), but we like to mix it up pretty good in this forum. Some from the left, some from the right. It's nice to have a fact checker thrown in there once and a while.

Can I post the *owned* and :I with you and maybe even toast a :Beer to you. Way to make a splash.
icon10.gif

BTW, there is a decent size meet due to take place in Chicago this Saturday if you care to attend. I sure there will be a few Lincolns there to take your LS8 to task.
icon7.gif

Bryan,

Well, my party affiliation is *&^%$%^&...dang, must be something wrong with my keyboard. Oh well. Forums like this can be fun and educating...just so long as people don't get rubbed the wrong way.

Also, I heard about the meet. It really depends on the weather...300 miles of driving through crappy weather does not sound that fun. But, I put my name on the list anyway, and we'll just have to see. I should know by Thursday or Friday.

Oh yeah, :Beer right back atcha!

Oh, now I see you are a St. Louis guy. How'd you like the way the Packers handed your Rams their keesters last night on MNF? Makes up for the beatings we took the last 2 years, that's for sure.

Actually I'm a San Francisco guy stationed in STL. So that means I'm a 49ers fan. Which come to think of it doesn't make my situation any better. 1-10 what are you gonna do.
Eddie Debartolo (the owner) can kiss my arse. But anyway, as you can see, I like to see the Rams get spanked probably as much as you do.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
BuSh promised during his campaign to invest in the education of us Americans. Yet he and his GOP leaders are pushing to change elegibility rules for PAL grants for college loans that results in millions of low-to-middle income students becoming in-elegible for these loans. This is another of his many tactics being used to wedge the rich and low-middle class further apart, while at the same time hindering the poor from getting ahead in life.

Also, his plan to make 15 million illegal immigrants from Mexico all-of-a-sudden "legal"? Is this how he is going to address the immigration problem? Oh, that's right, he promised to increase the job-rolls in his next term. What he failed to specify was that those jobs were NOT going to be for Americans. Why, we have slave-labor pouring across our southern boarder just dying to take jobs away from US citizens. And those newly "legal" immagrants are not even going to elegible for protection by minimum wage laws?

:Bang
I have one Question for you: When was the last time YOU were willing to stand waste-deep in chicken entrails for 10-12 hours a day for $7.73 an hour?
Yeah, I guess the MEXICANS are taking our jobs from us! Just proving a point as to how the Liberals feel for them LESS-FORTUNATE MINORITIES HUH?
What do y'all have against people who are only doing the same thing that your ancestors did 100-150(or more years ago)? Not only that, but drove my ancestors BACK into MEXICO in your quest for riches and prosperity. 170 years ago,The ENTIRE southwestern(and MUCH MORE of the) US was known as Aztlan, PART OF MEXICO!
LEARN SOMETHING PEOPLE!!!! Maybe I took your work and education from you, I'm of Mexican descent. When you speak of them you speak of me!
My birth cirtificate may say I was born in this country, but hey, with Mexican ties, I may be a covert member trying help them infiltrate this country!
Grow the F**K UP and get a F****N' clue!
(I"m not Mad at ANYONE, I'm just so damned tired of how everyone bitches about something they really know nothing about!)
(BTW this MEXICAN paid his OWN way through college(No daddy/No grants/scholarships! THANK YOU!)

One more thing, does anyone realise that raising the minimum wage would not really help out our economy? All raising the minimum wage does is give our loving,caring government an excuse to cause an already high cost of living to go even higher, so that there is no validity at all to the raise in wages.(In fact, we would probably be worse off than we were before the raise in wage.) THINK FOR ONCE!
BTW: I Am NOT a Republican either. If you must know........

Randeaux,
The main gripe I have about "illegal immagrants" stems NOT from the fact they are seeking prosperity in this country, it's how our country's government (GW and the GOP stronghold) is going about it. Time and time again, GW/GOP wants to apply a double-standard to how people of different classes are treated in an attempt to squash the middle class and create a society of royals and pesants, (or plantation owners and slaves if you want to look at it that way).

WRT the illegal imigrant issue, WHY all of a sudden are they allowed a free ticket to all this country has to offer when my ancestors had to jump through hoops to become leagalized citizens? And if you can answer that, they WHY, if we DO give them a free ticket, are those "newly legal" immigrants exempt from protection from minimum wage laws? I'm not asking for minimum wage to be raised (although it is WAY overdue for a raise), I just feel that to be FAIR to all people of this country, laws should apply, AND PROTECT all people of this country EQUALLY. But NOooooooooo. This whole deal is about creating a slave nation that prospers mainly the rich at the expense of the dignity of our poor under the guise of "offering prosperity to the poor across our boarders". If you buy that load of crap GW is feeding you, then I truly feel sorry for you and all your relatives from Mexico.

Posted on Fri, Dec. 03, 2004

Pell Grant change will hurt students

Los Angeles Times editorial

With all the talk in the Information Age economy, it’s hard to fathom why Congress and the Bush administration would cut back on Pell grants, a form of college aid for truly needy students.

Congress gave the go-ahead to the U.S. Department of Education to “adjust” its formulas for calculating financial aid. On the surface, the change seems like a reasonable update. The government uses a complex formula comparing a family’s expenses – including taxes – with its income to determine its financial need. Education officials want to stop using old state tax rates that date back to 1990 and replace them with rates from 2000, which are generally lower. But most states have been raising taxes since 2000, so the 1990 rates are now probably more accurate than the newer ones.

College costs are rising at more than twice the rate of inflation, and the maximum Pell grant has been frozen for three years at about $4,000.

The Pell grant changes, by themselves, probably won’t keep many low-income students from attending college, said Brian Fitzgerald, director of a congressional advisory committee on financial aid. But most states use the federal formula for their own grant programs and, by law, colleges and universities that receive federal funds must use the formula in calculating financial need. With reductions at the federal, state and college level, worthy but needy students might be kept from higher education.

Part of the task of raising students’ achievement lies in raising their hopes and goals. That’s not accomplished by barring the gates to higher education.

I appreciate the reply, I can see it from another perspective and I can even see where you're coming from(somewhat). However to become a citizen of this country, even today you pretty much have to go through an intense program of learning our history, how our government and economic systems work not to mention spending valuable time searching (many times in vain,) for just the proper channels to go through just to get the information to barely get started into the programs that this country has to offer. It's pretty rough out there. And to re-iterate it's a long and complicated process that (most importantly) takes iMucho Feria!(BIG BUCKS)And if you really think of it, the majority of immigrants are really trying to do this in a legal fashion. What's "illegal" about Illegal Immigrants is how they enter this country. That's the only reason they have that moniker by who they are. They have had it no easier or no harder than any of our ancestors that have toiled themselves many times ending in a premature death in search of the American Dream. (BTW: I am actually a 3rd generation American of Mexican (Pops side)(more like Mestizo,)descent and French-Canadian (2nd generation American,) (Moms side)descent. (Pops was in the USAF and stationed in Maine when he met her.)(LOOOONG STORY!) Pops raised me to be proud of ALL my culture and family heritage. And finallly, GWB hasn't "brainwashed me" as you say, I proudly voted Libertarian in this election,(NOT WASTED MY VOTE, as many have said to me since. I actually did the right thing, and voted for who I thought was the person to do the job, even though, I did know there was no way Badnarik would even count.I supported him and his party anyways because they were the people I thought could run this country right.) It's All Good! ;) To summarize; there is No "Free-Ticket" to anyone,anywhere,anytime. Nothing Is "Free" in that sense anymore. NOTHING.
Look at the complete picture before jumping,my friend, the situation is only just beginning in the areas outside of the adjacent Southwestern United States.It' s only beginning.

"Randeaux", Your comment about "the situation is just beginning" is very true but, there is a way to put the breaks on it.
GET INVOLVED !!!
If we contact ALL our government officials, , they have no alternative but listen to us, or get voted out.
Change is not easy but, it can only happen when we get involved.

Members online

Back