2002 lincoln ls alternator amps

nortyhat

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i wanted to know how much amps does the stock 02 ls alternator has?

105amps @ 6000 rpm

in 2003 it was upgrade to 125amps @ 6000 rpm (2000 engine rpm) to deal with the electric fan

thats kind of low for an alternator isnt it? well for me to put a 3000 watts stereo system in my ls. i herd to buy a custom made one with 2gauge power wire from my custom alt with a 2 guage ground for it wouldnt overheat. is that true?

there is an aftermarket option (pricey)

Ohio Generator - part number 7795-185
185 running amps / 235 - 250 max amps output

the thing to remember when going custom is to match the peak output to the same (low) rpm as the stock unit - if you custom unit needs to be at 10000 rpm to stay cool - it will burn up in your LS.

I have the ohio gen in my car. Works great but that is the biggest you are goning to find for the car. I am pulling about 450 amps max on my system so I had to make up for it eles where. From what I understand you can't buy direct from them only dealers. I think when I bought mine from a guy named gus that works for ohio gen he said the retail price was somewhere around 700.00 +.
If you have any questions hit me up.

is there a way you could hook me up with a number or something i need this like asap im about to install my system.

norty.. were u the one that asked me this same question from cardomain?

pdzcallday said:
I am pulling about 450 amps max on my system so I had to make up for it eles where.

5400 Watts?? Wow. What do you have--just curious.

actually that's closer to 6500 watts (alternators run @ 14-15 volts)

There use to be an outfit called Leztec out of OK. They sold the Rockford Fosgate alt under the perfect power name. They were dual output alts with 160 amps each post and externally regulated. I don't know if they are still around or not. I saved my ford alt when I sold my 88 Turbo Coupe and was thinking of putting it in my LS.

just wondering.. wanted to know if two ppl wanted to know the same question.. figured it was u.. wanted to ask

beaups said:
actually that's closer to 6500 watts (alternators run @ 14-15 volts)

You are correct sir! My amp's output is based on a supply of 14.7 volts.

scjmc said:
5400 Watts?? Wow. What do you have--just curious.
I have 2 15" kicker L7's and 3 KIcker amps. 1 amp for the mids / highs (sx750.4) and 2 amps for the subs (sx1250.1) If I remember right I think theseamps are tested at 13.5 volts. I run right around 14.9 to 15.3 volts and when I turn it up loud I dround to about 13.7 - 14.0 . Each amp draws 150 amps max. the number to ohio gen is 330-875-6677 or you can go to their web site www.ohiogen.com

i have an eclipse avn6600 double din deck. 2 eclipse mre-700 headrest monitors, 2 sets of jl audio xr 570 component sets, 2 12w7 jl audio subs, 2 1000/1 jl audio amps, 1 300/4 jl audio amp. and all jl audio rca's

hey pdzcallday i got a few questions for you. well i called ohiogen and they told me that they could give me a 180 amp alt for $450 dollars since im in the army. and also i wanted to know with all the system i have would the alt be able to handle it with a 2nd battery. next how much amps is the ls taking for it to run? and where is our alternator located does it take a lot of money to install? thanks.

nortyhat said:
hey pdzcallday i got a few questions for you. well i called ohiogen and they told me that they could give me a 180 amp alt for $450 dollars since im in the army. and also i wanted to know with all the system i have would the alt be able to handle it with a 2nd battery. next how much amps is the ls taking for it to run? and where is our alternator located does it take a lot of money to install? thanks.

That is the same price I got it for (which is whole sale price on it). Like I said I am pulling max of 450 amps and I have 2 yellow tops 1 40 farad cap and then my ohio gen and I sit at about 15 V and when The system is going drop to about 13.8- 13.9. You will be fine. What people must understand is that your sound system does not play off you alt. All of your power comes from the batt. and then it's up to the alt to recharge it as quick as it can. The nice thing with ohio gens is that is that it is made to recharge the batt. in a flash. I have never had it a problem with my unit yet! the alt. is located at the bottom eng on the pass side. I paied 60 for my shop to change it out for me.

hey, so is our alt. located directly at the bottom, or you have to take off something to get to it? also whats so special about these ohio gens thats not in other alts, besides the amps?

nope - three bolts. it is a little tricky finding the right twist to get it out through the suspension.

and the only thing 'special' about the ohio - is the additional amps - re-designed with additional windings (and heat dissipation)

hey so what does the heat dissapation do? and would you suggest 0 gauge or 2 gauge wires?

Members online

Back