Cam Position Sensor

APOLLO24

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
just changed timing belt ($2500) on 2000 v8. car is running like crap. misfire feeling 10x. mechanic said i need cam position sensor. just got one from max. anyone done this before? where is it? anyone have pictures of installation and how to? thanks

who did timing belt? Sounds like they f'd up. These sensor failures are very uncommon unless he busted them? Start w/the service manual...

Don't know on the LS and have only checked on a few cars...

The crank position sensor is behind the pulley drive on the crank. Perhaps it is also called cam position sensor since by extention, the cam and crank are tied together by the chain or belt so if you know the crank position, you know the cam position too.

To get at the crank position sensor on the one car I did try to remove it from, you have to pull the pulley drive off the front of the crank. The sensor on my 89 SHO was plastic and was easily cracked if you are clumsey. Once it is cracked it either works flakey or not at all.

That is where I would look. But it is entirely possible the cam position sensor would be somewhere underneath the shroud and near the cam gear.

Somneone who really knows should speak up or you will need a manual.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

the CMP is the single connector on the passenger side of the engine - just to the right of the cooling tower - see pic.

IIRC - the sensor is held in with a single bolt. Just follow the wire....

CMP (Small).JPG

Thanks again Quik. I kept the chains so i can post a pic of the snapped one. figure it's like a battle scar to brag about (sarcasim : don't wish it on my worst enemy). Anyway, should this help my situation by just plugging it in cause i have the sensor (thanks again max) or does the computer have to get "rebooted" so to speak for this car to run right again? thanks again

nope - if the cam sensor is the problem - then a new one 'should' fix it.

not sure that's the issue....

Members online

No members online now.
Back