High Mileage and LS's

Origin

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how a LS holds up in the higher up mileages. I am currently looking at a 2000 Lincoln LS with 98K miles on it. I have heard that they don't do well after 100K mark and it has me worried. So I figured I would come here and ask the people who really know. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

From my experiences, they don't hold up all that great after the 100k mark. If the people you bought it from haven't already fixed the transmission issue or it hasn't happened yet, I would plan ahead and set aside some money to get that fixed as it seems to happen to all 00 LS's. There has also been some reported issues with some shaking at mid speeds and idling which I haven't looked into enough to tell you all about it.

Pretty much, its a great car and very unique at that, but when something goes wrong you pay a premium and wait awhile to get it back. All cars have their own problems, the LS just seems to have a little more than most. Of course this is all opinionated because you will read that some people have had their LS for 100k+ and haven't had any problems at all, so I guess its all luck based to some extent, take care of your car to the best of your ability and hope for the best!

My 2004 V6 with 64,000 miles has had three coils replaced, the transmission reflashed a few times and outside of normal maintenance items, that's it. However, our 2007 Lexus ES350 with 2,400 miles on it has had the transmission replaced already and also has a cold engine knock that the Lexus service advisors state that it is the fuel injection noise. Had them document that on the service order so when it blows up, it's their baby.

I have a 2000 V6 that my dad gave me for my birthday that has 125,000 miles on it and there hasn't been any major problems. The biggest problem was the alternator went out and we had to replace it.

2000 V6. 135K miles and runs like a top. I just replaced the alternator a few months back, the battery a few months before that, replaced the solenoid pack at ~110K (it went out at ~85 but I thought it was something else) and that's about it. So far this has been a very reliable car. Having purchased it new, I know how it's been maintained and broken-in.

Oh yea, by-pass hose at about 55K miles.

I have 140K on mine and so far so good. It shakes a little bit when I hit the brakes, but that is only because it needs rotors. Other than that I have had no problems and I have had it for about a year now. *Knock on wood* You certianly wont be disappointed if you decide to go with an LS! Good luck.

I have 94,000 on my car and it is in the shop now getting the fuel pump replaced. It is the second time in 20,000 miles I have had to have the fuel pump replaced. The first time was under warranty. This time I'll be paying around $700. Also, I had the thermostat replaced about 2 months ago for overheating. Major items replaced are the DATC unit, three fuel injectors, four COP's, rear knuckle and two rear window regulators. Other than those items it has been a very reliable car. Most items were replaced under warranty so the expense was not great. However, the knuckle and latest fuel pump has put me near the $2,000 mark out of pocket so far. At this rate, I may be looking to sell it or trade it in.

The dealer gave me a 2006 Navigator to drive while my car is being repaired. Holy Sh!t is that thing nice!! It is a little big for me but it definitely gives me new car fever. My short list of cars are, 05+ LS, BMW M3, G35, Saleen Mustang. I would consider getting another truck so I'd definitely be interested in the F150 or Mark LT. I may wait until spring to make a decision getting rid of the LS.

I have 139k on mine. I bought it with umm.....120k maybe? Anyway, I've replaced a rear knuckle assembly (for a bad bearing), replaced a passenger window regulator, blew a coolant hose (and replaced about 6 while in there), and replaced the PCV hose.

I've got about $400 in that since I've done it myself.

The breakdowns aren't unexpected on a 140k mile car, and I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed driving this car everyday. If possible, I'd look for any year after 2000 as some problems with the first year model were rectified in later models. (That said, I have no experience with a 2000!)

Hey, Thank you all very much for your input. It deffinitly came in very helpful to my decision. Really appreciate it.

GrayGhost1 said:
I have 94,000 on my car and it is in the shop now getting the fuel pump replaced. It is the second time in 20,000 miles I have had to have the fuel pump replaced. The first time was under warranty. This time I'll be paying around $700. Also, I had the thermostat replaced about 2 months ago for overheating. Major items replaced are the DATC unit, three fuel injectors, four COP's, rear knuckle and two rear window regulators. Other than those items it has been a very reliable car. Most items were replaced under warranty so the expense was not great. However, the knuckle and latest fuel pump has put me near the $2,000 mark out of pocket so far. At this rate, I may be looking to sell it or trade it in.

The dealer gave me a 2006 Navigator to drive while my car is being repaired. Holy Sh!t is that thing nice!! It is a little big for me but it definitely gives me new car fever. My short list of cars are, 05+ LS, BMW M3, G35, Saleen Mustang. I would consider getting another truck so I'd definitely be interested in the F150 or Mark LT. I may wait until spring to make a decision getting rid of the LS.

If you sell I call dibs on your grill, and I will supply you with mine if you got rid of your old one.

Members online

Back