2000 3.9 V8 do I have hydraulic lifters?

APOLLO24

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
mechanic just replaced timing chain and did head work for one valve. Just called him and he said there is ticking noise that will probably just clear up. do i have hydraulic lifters that were dry and now the engine just needs to run for a while?

The LS doesn't have lifters. It does have tappets that go between the rocker arms and the valves, and they're mechnical, not hydraulic. At least that's true of the 2nd Gen LS; dunno if that's true of the 1st gen.

Actually, they're technically called "cam followers". And they have to have some sort of hydraulic control. Otherwise, you would have to have your valves adjusted for wear. So yes...I would say he has a plausible answer. They're not dry...they have air in the system. It should bleed out.

The ticking could also be your exhaust manifold, i had to have mine replaced because it was cracked and the ticking was driving me crazy!

2001LS8Sport said:
Actually, they're technically called "cam followers". And they have to have some sort of hydraulic control. Otherwise, you would have to have your valves adjusted for wear. So yes...I would say he has a plausible answer. They're not dry...they have air in the system. It should bleed out.
They have shims to adjust for wear, and the AllData parts list calls them tappets, not cam followers.

In all the engine rebuilding procedeures I've ever read involving hydraulic lifters, I've always seen a section on how to prep the lifters before installation (eg, soaking in an oil bath, etc). There are none in the AllData procedures--other than not marking the shims with paint or scratches...

Sooner...the shims are for initial setup. After that, they use hydraulic control to keep the lash quiet. If they didn't have that, you would have to take your car in and have the valves "shimmed" for wear on a regular basis...just like you do on a solid lifter car. Even hydraulic lifter cars have to have an initial preload to start.

I don't care what AllData calls them...tappets are also what they call normal lifters. It's a generic term. On OHC engines, they're called followers in every instance I've seen. But we're pissing at each other here over nothing. Regardless of what they're called, we both know what they do.

If there is no hydraulic control in the valve train, I will be amazed and apologize profusely. For some reason, I can't get my online manual to open. But I can't see how there could possibly NOT be...otherwise you would be seeing a lot of noisy valve trains or burned valves because nobody ever has their valve shims adjusted.

They don't have rockers or followers. There is a bucket that sets on top of the valve and they use shims on top of the buckets to set clearance between the cam. The cam lobe rides right on the shim, no hydraulic lifters involved.

No peeing here; I'm just reporting what AllData is saying, not intending to be defensive or offensive.

jacquezz is correct--I had a thinko when I said rocker arms. In the SHO world, we called the tappets buckets, and they were checked every 60,000 miles ('89-'93) or 100,000 miles ('94-'95) for clearance. There used to be SHO parts suppliers who had "60K tuneup kits" that came with an array of shims so you didn't have to do it in two stages. (Without the array of shims, you had to take it apart, measure the clearance with feeler gauges, then order the correct shims.)

From what I could see in the AllData info, it looks like the AJ30/AJ35 is exactly like the 3.0/3.2 SHO V6 in regard to the cams, valves, and tappets/cam followers/buckets: a mechanical valvetrain.

I don't know about the AJV8, but the 3.0 calls them DAMB tappets (Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket).

I have a 2001 V8 that I bought recently with a broken timing chain (secondary). The guy I bought it from said he rounded the corner to his house and it backfired twice and shutdown. He was not on the throttle and the engine was at low rpm's when it happened. The car has sat for almost a year since it happened. I transported the car to my house and started working on it. After going over the situation and looking down the cylinders with a bore scope and not seeing any signs of damage I rolled the engine over several times by hand with caution, checking the cylinders and valves as much as I could. Prior to that I put on a new chain (the cams are timed) sprayed and dripped a light weight lubricant liberally over necessary components.

I then pulled the plugs and performed a compression test. The #7 cylinder is flat. No compression at all. All others were in spec. I looked down in the #7 cylinder again and I still don't see anything wrong BUT I also can not see 100% of the valves.

I decided to start it and it fire right up after I pumped up the fuel psi. My hope was that the engine does have some hydraulic effect on the Tappets/Buckets. I have started it twice and brought it to temperature both times at low rpm's. For lack of a better term I was hoping to get rid of a "Sticky Lifter". No such luck but I still have hope that it might just be really carboned up. That same cylinder had a bad coil on it for an extended period of time.

There is a lot more clearance between the shim and the bottom of the lobe on cylinder 7 than the others in the same perspective position.

WHAT DO YOU THINK​

Broken valve Spring, Bent Valve, Massive Carbon, Have you ever had this problem? I'm getting ready to dive into it so I can change out and update the timing chains. I just really don't want to have to pull the head if at all possible but if that is what it is THEN OK.

Despite 2001LS8sport's insistence, there's nothing hydraulic about the gen I's valve train. It's all mechanical. (The gen II does have hydraulic control over valve timing, but that wouldn't affect your problem at all.)

I think you bent a valve, but I can't even see what little you can see. Time to remove that head or replace the whole engine.

I have another engine that I'm planning to rebuild and use after this one goes KAPLOOEY, I was just hoping to get another 40,000 out of this one. I plan to start on it next week and see what it is for sure. Thanx for the info on the Buckets/Tappets. I have a 2002 shop manual so I wasn't 100% sure that the valve train was exactly the same mainly due to the difference on the intake cam between my 2001 and 2002. The Stealership even told me last week that they are (PROBABLY) hydraulic. I certainly didn't see that for sure.

I scored today! I followed a 2005 LSE in immaculate shape today for about 30 miles until he reached his destination. I talked to him for a bit and I'm first in line if he ever sells it!! If he contacts me and I don't buy it I will post it on here for the Clan to Feud over. I'm not sure of the color code for the 2005's but it is a Cranberry Red color and he only has 52,000 on it. Sweet!

Thanx for the info, I'll post my findings when I get there

Members online

No members online now.
Back