Just got mine.

blk96LSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just picked up my '96 LSC a few hours ago and I am still in shock and awe as to how these things are still so under the radar. $4300 for a black LSC,
70k on the odometer.. it was a steal! The car is unbelievable; sure, the technology is commonplace nowadays, but for it to have that level of luxury ten years ago.. :D Now that's Lincoln for you. I have a good feeling that before the first of the year, I'll be giving LMS a call on some upgrades...:p

For those of you who have Gen1's, what kind of real world gains have you noted from the chip and MAF kit?

I'll have pics for you guys tomorrow..I think I might be jumping back in her soon and going for another spin. :cool: I just can't get enough of it!

It needs some work on the moonroof seal, and I'll probably change the oil and flush the tranny (Nice fresh Mercon 5 couldn't hurt anyone.. ;) )..anyone have any other suggestions as far as tune-ups go? HID's have already been replaced..same with the rear air-suspension.

Oh, and what do you guys run at the pump? Is the 93octane worth it for this motor? I'm just trying to learn my way around it..

Well, im gonna go get started cleaning her up.

-- Mike.

Oh, anyone on here from the D/FW or North Texas areas? I didn't know if there was a club, or meets or anything..

93 (or better). The 96 is the "odd year". 93/94 were the same for the most part (bent down tail pipe tips, lack of wood trim) 95/96 were also the same (bumper cut-out for exhaust tips and wood trim, LSC option). And 97/98 are Gen IIs, totally different. So there are three group styles to the mark.

But 96 is in many respects a cross between a Gen I and Gen II. It looks like a Gen I but is wired like a Gen II when it comes to the engine and transmission by having ODB II. Yet 97 was a redesign and so were all of the harnesses. So in short, almost all of the wiring in the car is unique to 96, and that can create some problems. I went through FOUR transmission harnesses and never got one that was right. The MLPS change in 97 so a harness from 97/98 was a no-go. 95 was also a no-go, ODB I. Also the IMRCs (if ya dont know what they are, do a search, lots of info), they are vacuum operated like all Gen Ones but are also wired into the ODB II system of monitoring - again making the actuator unique to 96 since 97/98 are electronically operated.

There are lots of other little things about a 96. But 96 is the best year id you like the look. I know I do, but the 97/98s are growing on me little by little :)

Well it wont miss or ping because the computer compensates. And just because its not pinging, does not mean it is not. You also wont get the performance and maybe the economy you would with high octane. Usually the extra economy compensates for the additional cost per gallon and you also get a better kick in the butt-o-meter. Of course it will take a bit for the computer to re-compensate again if you switch. I tried switching a a couple times and each time the car performed less and I also had less MPG readings.

93 octane cost only about $2.00 per tank more than 87 octane and only about $.50 to a $1.00 a tank for than 89 octane. Granted over a years time that does add up but I doubt you would miss it.

The benefits from the MPG gain is greater than the cost of the gas.

Oh, and what do you guys run at the pump? Is the 93octane worth it for this motor? I'm just trying to learn my way around it..

If you enjoy throwing you money away. Use 87 stock.

I run 86/87 most of the time in mine. I drive it 400 miles to Farmington NM for my job, so it's pretty pointless to pay for 91. Whenever I race it and especially when I spray it I pour some 101 octane in the tank.

Thanks for all the replies and the welcome.

After doing the math, mespock is right.. $2.00 or so more a tank. Thats cheap enough that it'd be worth doing if there is any sort of gain.

I decided to check my chances against my buddy's '06 mustang gt.. and just as I thought, the mark pulls really well, but he took me once he was mid-second gear...and mustang taillights were all I could see after that. :p

But, i'm learning the way the car behaves.. which is surprisingly good, considering it weighs two tons.

I'll be doing an oil change in the next two weeks, and I think i'll probably give the JMOD a shot while im underneath it [and some mercon V]. How long does it usually take? 3-4 hours?

It seems to me that its well worth it...

I would use what the vehicle manufacturer recomends, in this case it's premium fuel!

Good luck with your new mark VIII, it's a lot of car for the $$$.

Members online

Back