2000 V8 Hesitation b/w 42-60, smell in cabin

2000lincolnv8

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ls V8 w/ 70k. About 6 months ago I had a CEL light come on and it was a cylinder misfire. I had the valve cover gasket, plugs, boots and 2 coils replaced (all on 1 side, 1 and 3, 2 had been replaced previously). This fix did a little to help and now the car is shaking at idle and hesitating between 42 and 60 MPH(like it won't go into gear). I can also smell an exhaust type smell when any of the vents are turned on (heat, ac) that seems to be coming in from the passenger side engine vent. I have searched here and have found a couple of posts w/ similar issues but no one seemed to have a resolution. My mechanic seems to think that the coils are all fine (don't know what tool was used to check). What else could be causing this? The shake is coming from the engine but could it be tranny related? I would really appreciate and help. Does anything kick in at 42 MPH?

Are you SURE ALL of the coils are fully functioning? I ask because several here have reported no CEL light when coils are still partially functioning. Others can comment, but I believe the only way to tell for sure, is for the dealer to run a diagnostic check on their equipment.

Are you saying the mechanic did this diagnostic check...and found all coils to be fully functioning?

the mechanic did claim to have checked the coils out but it just seems like they have something to do with this. The hoses look fine but I can give them a closer look (might be the cause of the cabin smell). I too have noticed this smoking referenced in the link, maybe twice, and my mechanic said that everything was dry and he saw nothing. I'm trying to isolate what this is but I may end up taking it to the dealer this week.

does enyone know how long it should take to replace 8 coils. Going to a mechanic, and dont wana get srewed by some dude sayin its guna take all 8 hours.

In regards to the hesitation. My car had that on the interstate once a load was applied. So a little different from you, but I was scared it was something serious like the coils and it was just the fuel filter. Replaced it and the hesitation is gone. Easy fix and would not hurt for it to be done unless you have already done this. Hope this helps a little.

Good Luck,
Nolan

just got the car back from the dealer, had a coil put in and the shake and hesitation are gone but the smell of burning oil is still in the cabin. The mechanic did not give me a reason for it but assumed it has to do w/ the internal valve gover gasket. Not real sure what this means......

2000lincolnv8, was the hesitation when you would try and accelerate? thats how it is for me, when i accelerate without making it drop a gear it does that hiccuping hesitation like its slipping or something, but when i make it drop a gear it only sometimes does it, sometimes it pulls strong. i've had no check engine light come on since i've owned the car. i thought this hesitation could have been the trac control, which it still could be, but even when i have the trac control off it operates the same. kinda like tryn to run on a sprained ankle

the smell is usually residual oil burning off the exhaust manifolds that spilled when he was replacing the gaskets. It "should" clear up after a few hundred miles. If it doesn't then he may not have gotten the new gaskets on properly.

Check your VC gaskets. Most of the coil failure experienced is caused by the leaking gaskets. You can replace the coils but if you don't do the VC gaskets then it will happen again. Also the spaces are tight and it is easy to mis-align the gasket. Check for oil leaking down onto the exhaust manifolds or onto the engine itself. I would put my money on leaking VC gaskets that are fouling out your coils. Thats exactly what happenned to me.
As far as getting out of paying 8hrs for replacement. . . . good luck finding a shop that isn't flat rate.

Members online

Back