CB's and Portable Phones

Techman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I know that CB's were offered as an option for the LCS's, were early portable phones offered as an option as well? Were they Ford or dealer options?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks for the response to this and the other posts I placed today. I will see if I can get some pics of the car. It is a green colored 1988 LSC with gold emblems all around and it has an old cell phone in the console box with the main unit mounted in the trunk. I have only seen one other LSC with gold emblems and it was in a wrecking yard. I have two other LSC's both white, one a 1987 and the other a 1989. I also have a white 1987 Lincoln Continental for parts. I have been trying to find out as much information about the eighties LSCs and Continentals, including tech info.

Techman said:
Thanks for the response to this and the other posts I placed today. I will see if I can get some pics of the car. It is a green colored 1988 LSC with gold emblems all around and it has an old cell phone in the console box with the main unit mounted in the trunk. I have only seen one other LSC with gold emblems and it was in a wrecking yard. I have two other LSC's both white, one a 1987 and the other a 1989. I also have a white 1987 Lincoln Continental for parts. I have been trying to find out as much information about the eighties LSCs and Continentals, including tech info.
Welcome.

Do you have a digital camera? Your fans are dying to see this car. Green was a special order color for a 1988 Mark VII. The center console glove box mounted "Cellular Phone" was not a factory option in 1988 but may have been installed by a dealership via an aftermarket retailer. In 1990, there was indeed a cellular phone option from Lincoln. The Lincoln installed phone bears a Lincoln four point star.

See this two page example of how to shoot your Mark VII:
http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/Sample-Gallery-Photos

If you start taking pictures now, you can have about 100 of them ready for us by morning :)

p.s. As for the CB, it was a General Electric portale that was available in a case and was marketed as an emergency communications kit.

<Searching for pictures>

Techman said:
I have been trying to find out as much information about the eighties LSCs and Continentals, including tech info.
Let's start by decifering your Vehicle Certification Label. Can you get a clear picture of it?
sampleVehicleCertificationLabel.thumb.jpg

Techman said:
Hi Techman.
Based on your color code of 1J, your exterior color is actually Graphite Metallic Clearcoat or gray. Your gold tone badges and antenna base could not be found by me so they're probably new aftermarket items. I think you've already seen my replies concerning the CB and cell. If not, reread your other posts.

SO do you plan to make this a daily driver or a race car or a show car or other?

OldSchool1 said:
Hi Techman.
Based on your color code of 1J, your exterior color is actually Graphite Metallic Clearcoat or gray. Your gold tone badges and antenna base could not be found by me so they're probably new aftermarket items. I think you've already seen my replies concerning the CB and cell. If not, reread your other posts.

SO do you plan to make this a daily driver or a race car or a show car or other?

Don't know yet. Engine has over 300,000 miles with a seperated front damper, interior is totally shot, power steering pump is empty, found electrical shorts in the alternator harness and in the sun roof switch. It does have a trac lok rear with 327 gears, the engine starts easy, A\C works ok, body looks good with only minor dings. Debating to fix or use for parts on the 87 or 89 LSCs I have.

Techman said:
Don't know yet. Engine has over 300,000 miles with a seperated front damper, interior is totally shot, power steering pump is empty, found electrical shorts in the alternator harness and in the sun roof switch. It does have a trac lok rear with 327 gears, the engine starts easy, A\C works ok, body looks good with only minor dings. Debating to fix or use for parts on the 87 or 89 LSCs I have.
Tough call.
Even though it's an 88, I'd rule out Daily Driver due to mileage. Race car is an option but only if you had another plant ready to go in to it. At which point, I'd drive it until the engine fell out. As a show car, you'd have to be committed to a long term (read lots of money) relationship. Parts car is the lazy man's way out <duck>.

OldSchool1 said:
Tough call.
Even though it's an 88, I'd rule out Daily Driver due to mileage. Race car is an option but only if you had another plant ready to go in to it. At which point, I'd drive it until the engine fell out. As a show car, you'd have to be committed to a long term (read lots of money) relationship. Parts car is the lazy man's way out <duck>.

The 89 LSC has a bad A\C system, questionable trans and rear so it may become the race car with parts from the 88. The 87 LSC will remain stock. My 87 Continental parts car has a freshly rebuilt trans but the engine has a blown head gasket and trashed interior but a good gas mileage rear end. I also have a used 91 HO engine and some spare interior parts for either the 88 or 89 LSC's since they both have the same grey interior. I should be able to make three good cars from all the parts, at least it is the plan.

Thanks for the help and information.

Gold plated stuff....

Most cities have someone, who for a same fee, goes to dealerships and "Brush Plate's" emblems and various trim with 24k gold, on the car.

I actually have one of the Cb's, previous owner left it in the trunk when I bought the car, didnt know it was dealer offered.

blue89 said:
I actually have one of the Cb's, previous owner left it in the trunk when I bought the car, didnt know it was dealer offered.
The only visible differences I've found would be the labeling. Does the front cover of your case have the Ford Logo on it?

cbRadio-006t.jpg

The CB was an option in the early years. I'd say 1984 and maybe 1985. The cell phone was first offered in 1985 for that year only as sales of a $2k option were low. It didn't reappear until 1990. I believe the first phone has Ford emblems. I have a brochure on it at home.

I also have the CB. It's a GE model that got rebadged for Ford. For cars with the option, there is a 3 way antenna that allows the CB to be connected within the car.

ND4SPDLSC said:
The CB was an option in the early years. I'd say 1984 and maybe 1985. The cell phone was first offered in 1985 for that year only as sales of a $2k option were low. It didn't reappear until 1990. I believe the first phone has Ford emblems. I have a brochure on it at home.

I also have the CB. It's a GE model that got rebadged for Ford. For cars with the option, there is a 3 way antenna that allows the CB to be connected within the car.
Great minds think alike.
Reread the thread :)

This link displays slightly smaller:

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/albums/ND4SPDLSC/scan0006.sized.jpg

Nick.
Your three display codes (add the prefix) for this picture will be:
thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/albums/ND4SPDLSC/scan0006.jpg
thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/albums/ND4SPDLSC/scan0006.sized.jpg
thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/albums/ND4SPDLSC/scan0006.thumb.jpg

Thats the case I have but most of the sticker is gone.

blue89 said:
Thats the case I have but most of the sticker is gone.
It's amazing that after 20 years, how a simple paper sticker could effect an item.

Look inside for the Ford logo. If it's there, then you have a RARE item.
cbRadio-007t.jpg

I wonder where I put mine...

This coming from the guy who rediscovered his new, 4 month old, dual action sander in the agrage this past weekend. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, John.

ND4SPDLSC said:
I wonder where I put mine...

This coming from the guy who rediscovered his new, 4 month old, dual action sander in the agrage this past weekend. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, John.
:)
YW

"Yes ... Nerds ~do~ rule!"

center-console mounted cellular phone as shown in picture above,is from the mid-late '80's. 1990-1992 factory cell phone is mounted to the right of the shifter on the console; it was hands-free also, with a small speaker mounted in the passenger side footwell,underneath the dash. the microphone was mounted near the driver's side sunvisor (very small). The factory antenna was mounted on the rear glass,centered, close to the moulding. It also had a black vinyl-coated plug mounted in the spiral section of the antenna (to reduce wind noise).

OldSchool1 said:
Welcome.

Do you have a digital camera? Your fans are dying to see this car. Green was a special order color for a 1988 Mark VII. The center console glove box mounted "Cellular Phone" was not a factory option in 1988 but may have been installed by a dealership via an aftermarket retailer. In 1990, there was indeed a cellular phone option from Lincoln. The Lincoln installed phone bears a Lincoln four point star.

See this two page example of how to shoot your Mark VII:
http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/Sample-Gallery-Photos

If you start taking pictures now, you can have about 100 of them ready for us by morning :)

p.s. As for the CB, it was a General Electric portale that was available in a case and was marketed as an emergency communications kit.

<Searching for pictures>
The FACTORY (not dealer installed) cellular telephone has a ford oval (very small) in the blacked-out part of the glass screen,not a Lincoln star.

When I get a chance, I will post pictures of this;I have to scan them since they were taken years ago on a regular camera.

Members online

No members online now.
Back