Stealership Recommendations

tlaprade

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I brought my 02 LS in for it's 60k oil change. The dealership called me and told me I need a transmission fluid flush ($140), a fuel filter ($90), an air filter ($25), and a coolant system flush ($100+). So how much of this stuff is even necessary to do and which of those are easy enough to do in my driveway with limited tools?

tim, where did you go? fuel filter and air filter can be done by yourself. the flushes are done with machines. lmk if you need help.

Jon,
I had to go down to the dealer in Shrewsbury because it's right next to my job. So I can do the filters myself i guess. I found the article on the fuel filter, how much is the filter? As for the flushes, what are you thoughts on getting them done at 60k miles, and what are your quotes thru your dealership. Thanks.

air filter: $11.94, fuel filter: $9.54

our flushes are about the same price. tranny is recommended at 30k mile intervals, and the coolant at 15k mile intervals.

My car is in for the drivers door lockcylinder replacement due to a breakin, but I'm also getting the rear breaks replaced because they only replaced the front ones last month. I found a coupon on the stealerships website offering 164.99 for a break job. The tech in the service department told me the price was pre axle. I showed him the coupon, and long story short they are donig he rear brakes for free. LOL. They did call me and said the ball joints were needing to be replaced. I told them to go ahead and do it cause the car wa swaying and I heard clunking noises when going over bumps.

The stealership is looking to make a buck but I think they are looking out for me. I hated going cause I thought they would F'up'd my car in order for me to buy a new one.

tlaprade said:
So I brought my 02 LS in for it's 60k oil change. The dealership called me and told me I need a transmission fluid flush ($140), a fuel filter ($90), an air filter ($25), and a coolant system flush ($100+). So how much of this stuff is even necessary to do and which of those are easy enough to do in my driveway with limited tools?

The dealer is suggesting these things because they want you to buy their services, but also because your car probably needs them. Now that you know what is needed, you can choose to have the dealer do it, or do it yourself if you have the skill.

The fuel filter and air filter are easy change-outs even for a clutz like me. On the other hand, I would have the dealer handle the coolant and transmission flushes. Those take specialized equipment and you can run into problems if it is not done properly.

00ls-sport said:
air filter: $11.94, fuel filter: $9.54

our flushes are about the same price. tranny is recommended at 30k mile intervals, and the coolant at 15k mile intervals.

Transmission flush ast 30K intervals? For the LS? I don't think so. I thought the system was sealed and fluid not to be changed until at least 60K miles and probably longer.

ToddG said:
Transmission flush ast 30K intervals? For the LS? I don't think so. I thought the system was sealed and fluid not to be changed until at least 60K miles and probably longer.

i didn't give the tech a specific vehicle. just asked his suggestion in general.

There is no service interval on the LS's transmission fluid; according to Lincoln, it's sealed for life.

I've heard recommendations of 30K, 60K, and 150K miles for transmission fluid services, and at least two conflicting opinions from FoMoCo tranny engineers, so I don't know what the heck to believe...

if anyone wants to register on the Lincoln website

https://secure.lincoln.com/owners/

you can get copies of the owner's guides and maintenance schedules. i have the originals with my car and it calls for servicing the auto trans at 30k (2003 LS 6). Some cars also have a screen-type filter that gets cleaned in addition to the fluid change, but I don't know if the LS is like that or not .

I've never heard of an auto trans being sealed and service free, but I've heard of rear differentials being that way (my jag XJR was like that).

PaulJK said:
i have the originals with my car and it calls for servicing the auto trans at 30k (2003 LS 6). Some cars also have a screen-type filter that gets cleaned in addition to the fluid change, but I don't know if the LS is like that or not .

I've never heard of an auto trans being sealed and service free, but I've heard of rear differentials being that way (my jag XJR was like that).
I don't know what your Scheduled Maintenance Guide says, but on the Normal Schedule, mine only shows a 30K service interval on the 4F50N and 4F50E transmissions, and a check of the tranmission/transaxle fluid level on cars "equipped with a dipstick." The LS has neither a 4F50x nor a tranny dipstick, so that service interval does not apply.

And now you've heard of a "sealed for life" transmission. ;)

Up Front, let me say thanks - I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to learn something :).

I just went to the Lincoln website and checked their maintenance schedules. I have my car logged there so I can get info and keep track of things. The maintenance schedules for both the 2000 LS8 I used to have, and the LS6 I now have, say:

Change automatic transmission fluid at 30k, 60k, 90k and 120k AND

Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid and filter at 150k

The LS has no tranny dipstick (?!) ....hmmmmm, I gotta check this out when it gets light outside ......

I'm not seeing the designation for model of transmission. Maybe that doesn't apply to the 2000 and 2003 models ? Where are you finding your info, in your owner's manual ? Thanks

The LS has one of three transmissions: a Getrag 5-speed manual ('00-'02 V6 only); a Ford 5R55N 5-speed automatic ('00-'02 V6 and V8); or a Ford 5R55S ('03-'06, all models). Both the 5R55N and 5R55S lack a transmission dipstick.

The documentation kit that came with the LS includes a pamphlet marked "Scheduled Maintenance Guide," which lists the maintenance intervals for trucks, vans, and SUVs; passenger cars under normal conditions; and "severe duty" conditions. In the normal operations table, it shows the 30K mile tranny fluid service is only for the transmissions I listed above.

On the Lincoln Owner's site, it does, indeed, show the 30/60/etc schedule. I don't know why it differs from the printed guide.

Update: i just got my 2003 LS6 back from the dealer after having the 30k service done. The Service Writer explained that the trans fluid is indeed changed using a machine that flushes the old stuff out while putting new fluid in. Actually I was glad to hear that because I'd hate to think that something with as many moving parts as a transmission would never have the lubricant changed. There is also a filter in the trans, but it doesn't get changed until something like 100k. I just wanted to add this info (for what it's worth) ... Sooner, I'd hate to see you damage your trans if you never changed the fluid.

By the way, I was told that the going price here for the 30k service ws $450 :( (although I didn't pay that) ..

Technically the LS transmissions 5R55S/5R55N as well the similiar ones found in the mountaineer/explorer are ''sealed for life''

now this doesnt mean you cant change the fluid. I would do it every 30k just like any other car.

and yes no dipstick there is a ''special'' way that is a pita to check the fluid level.

Jay

I guess when I read the term, i was thinking of bearing packs that are completely sealed and unserviceable. i also had a Jaguar that had a rear differential that was sealed and unserviceable - the lubricant could not be changed. The idea of a transmission with no dipstick seems screwy to me, but i'm glad i can get the lubricant changed :). Changing the filter must be a REAL joy ....

Members online

Back