What's the connector in the trunk?

MDavis0424

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 with the audiophile cd6 stereo. There is a connector strapped to the drivers side hinge in the trunk, what is this connector for? The radio has a sat option, I also have heard that a second cd changer can be hooked up to this radio?

MDavis0424 said:
I have a 2004 with the audiophile cd6 stereo. There is a connector strapped to the drivers side hinge in the trunk, what is this connector for? The radio has a sat option, I also have heard that a second cd changer can be hooked up to this radio?

That connector is not a stock item. My guess is that it was probably for a satellite radio antenna that was mounted on the trunk lid. Does your radio have a SAT button on the console?

Picture

connector.JPG

Not a great photo I'm afraid. Looks stock, wires are wrapped in cloth tape like factory harness.

Strange place, since the connector moves with the hinge whatever plugs into it would need a lot of free play, unless its actually fastened to the trunk lid.

I counted 11 pins all in a single row.

connector.JPG

Sure looks like a factory connector to me. I'm not sure what that's for. I would be interested in knowing.

I just looked at a picture of my '04's trunk that I took just before I traded it in, and I see the holes in the hinge that would accept such a connector, but there's no connector (my '06 doesn't even have the holes). The size of the cable in the picture above looks like it's close to the correct size for the cable that runs from the Visteon (Ford/Lincoln) Sirius adapter to he head unit, but that connector is definitely not a part of the standard Visteon harness--I had it in my '04, and I have it in my '06.

It could be a Molex or FoxConn connector, but I don't think it's Lincoln factory. FWIW, the Visteon (Lincoln) Sirius unit isn't factory, either--it's a Dealer-Installed Option. The underside of the deck lid would be a decent place to stash the Sirius receiver, though, being out of the way and allowinf good ventilation. Maybe that's where a previous owner had it mounted--but I'd expect to see the Sirius antenna on the roof if that were the case.

thats a good one, it looks factory. If an LS comes in so I can see where it goes I might be able to figure out, but the wiring diagrams really dont list anything in that area with an 11 pin connector. As far as I know all the sat radio stuff goes inline behind the radio.

LincolnTech38 said:
As far as I know all the sat radio stuff goes inline behind the radio.
The Visteon Sirius receiver goes wherever the installer puts it, and, at least in the 2nd Gen LS, there's not nearly enough room to put it behind the dash and maintain sufficient airflow, IMHO. The cable from the head unit to the receiver is about 20 feet long--I have my receiver in the trunk, and still have a large coil of cable back there with it.

SoonerLS said:
The Visteon Sirius receiver goes wherever the installer puts it, and, at least in the 2nd Gen LS, there's not nearly enough room to put it behind the dash and maintain sufficient airflow, IMHO. The cable from the head unit to the receiver is about 20 feet long--I have my receiver in the trunk, and still have a large coil of cable back there with it.
The Visteon unit comes with installer instructions to mount it hidden in the trunk on the back side of the hinge support structure between the outside fender and the support. It is all hidden behind the lining. That is how mine is installed. The Factory Harness also has to be routed from the dash and just fits for this mounting. When installed in this manner the Visteon box cannot be seen as it is totally behind the support structure. It was not a big pain, but was time consuming.

GWL said:
The Visteon unit comes with installer instructions to mount it hidden in the trunk on the back side of the hinge support structure between the outside fender and the support. It is all hidden behind the lining. That is how mine is installed. The Factory Harness also has to be routed from the dash and just fits for this mounting. When installed in this manner the Visteon box cannot be seen as it is totally behind the support structure. It was not a big pain, but was time consuming.
The one I installed in my '06 didn't come with much at all in the way of installation instructions, and the one I had installed in my '04 apparently didn't either. My dealer had a local stereo shop do it, and they use black construction adhesive to glue it to the carpet under the passenger side front seat. :eek: That's why I installed the unit in the '06 myself--of course, mine's currently sitting on the deck in the driver's side rear corner of the trunk. One of these days, I'll get a few minutes to mount it properly...

SoonerLS said:
The one I installed in my '06 didn't come with much at all in the way of installation instructions, and the one I had installed in my '04 apparently didn't either. My dealer had a local stereo shop do it, and they use black construction adhesive to glue it to the carpet under the passenger side front seat. :eek: That's why I installed the unit in the '06 myself--of course, mine's currently sitting on the deck in the driver's side rear corner of the trunk. One of these days, I'll get a few minutes to mount it properly...
I kept the installation instruction sheet in my records, so I made a PDF of the Lincoln LS installation part. If you would like a copy, shoot me you email address & I will send it to you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back