Is It True ?????

bbacho2002

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the Lincoln LS is equipped with the a rain sensor that if you leave the windows of your car down and starts raining the will automatelly go up by themselves even if the car is turned off??? thanks..

bbacho2002 said:
Is it true that the Lincoln LS is equipped with the a rain sensor that if you leave the windows of your car down and starts raining the will automatelly go up by themselves even if the car is turned off??? thanks..

Not true. The rain sensor works in conjunction with the windshield wipers and that's all. It is not connected to the windows or sunroof.

That would be nice though. I wonder if some electrical genius on here could make this mod happen.

for the same reason the don't have an 'all up' button (only all down) - it's a safety issue for the car to automatically close windows.

Quik LS said:
for the same reason the don't have an 'all up' button (only all down) - it's a safety issue for the car to automatically close windows.

More highend vehicles have these kind of features. Most domestic cars are 10 years behind anyway.

I drove a Caddy CTS for a month and it had auto up windows in the front. You'd think they would come up with some sort of resistance detection. So if the window met any resistance on the way up it would just go back down.

Quik LS said:

the 03+ have 'all up' window feature.

J3FF said:
More highend vehicles have these kind of features. Most domestic cars are 10 years behind anyway.
hahaha, my 92 3 series has auto up and down windows.....and its the base 318is sport model.

ballzac86 said:
hahaha, my 92 3 series has auto up and down windows.....and its the base 318is sport model.

Hahaha! Exactly what I mean. That feature is hella nice when your driving down the road, I guess I could always have someone wire mine up.

The only problem about the rain sensors is when you crack the window for some fresh air, it would go back up if it starts to rain a bit.

VanDarela said:
the 03+ have 'all up' window feature.
Sorta-kinda, but not really in the sense of how it's being discussed here. There's an automatic "all down" feature on the windows--press and hold unlock on the remote until the windows start down, then you can release it, and they will continue to go all the way down. You can also do the same by putting your key in the driver's door lock and turning it to unlock, holding it until the windows start down.

There's no similar automatic "all up" feature. If you put your key in the driver's door lock, turn it to "lock" and hold it, it will roll up all of the windows, but it stops as soon as you release the key--it's not automatic like the "all down" function.

It's a liability issue, pure and simple.

SoonerLS said:
Sorta-kinda, but not really in the sense of how it's being discussed here. There's an automatic "all down" feature on the windows--press and hold unlock on the remote until the windows start down, then you can release it, and they will continue to go all the way down. You can also do the same by putting your key in the driver's door lock and turning it to unlock, holding it until the windows start down.

There's no similar automatic "all up" feature. If you put your key in the driver's door lock, turn it to "lock" and hold it, it will roll up all of the windows, but it stops as soon as you release the key--it's not automatic like the "all down" function.

It's a liability issue, pure and simple.

So, it's basically the same as in 00-02 LSs?

HyeLifeLS said:
So, it's basically the same as in 00-02 LSs?
If that's how the '00-'02 LSes behave, then, yeah. I've never been in a 1st gen LS, so I don't know.

AFAIK, the only real difference between the 1st and 2nd gen LSes with regards to the windows is that the '03-'06 LSes have auto-up/close on the front windows and moonroof (they have bounce-back obstruction sensors). They also use traditional rocker switches instead of the pull-up/push-down controls on the '00-'02 LSes (again, because of the obstruction sensors).

For what it's worth, I have an '04 LS and had the remote start installed. The installer at the dealer hooked up my remote to roll up my windows and roof if I hold down the lock key. So there is a way to do it, just need to figure out how to sense rain and turn it on.

I looked into patenting a design when I found out that nobody really has it. They have aftermarket kits for the sunroof but I think for safety they don't have them for the side windows.

Just in case you might be interested, Harley Earl of GM fame had a rain sensor installed in the 1956 Cadillac Eldorado prototype - his personal car at that time (became the 1957 model) that would put the convertable top up at the first hint of rain. The 1951 LeSabre show car had a similar feature. Between the seats in a center console was a grille-like panel which had the rain sensor that raised the top. Did it raise the windows too? Don't know. But the point is, its not a new idea.

But hey, they use to have a photo sensor that would automatically dim the headlights when a car came at you. It was adjustable to senstivity. What a neat idea. :D

lifer@writeme.com said:
But hey, they use to have a photo sensor that would automatically dim the headlights when a car came at you. It was adjustable to senstivity. What a neat idea. :D
My T-Bird SC had that feature, and it sounds a lot better than it really was. It has a tendency to really annoy oncoming drivers if you're not quick to grab the high-beam controls--they flash you to dim your lights, your lights dim, they dim their lights, your highs go back on automatically, they hit their highs again... :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.
Back