Mechanic Told Me I Need New Engine

APOLLO24

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
has anyone had to change theirs? how much will it cost? i maintained the car perfectly and can't figure out this is

Did he tell you why?

A couple of LLSOC members have had to swap their engines - one was an insurance claim injesting water, the other was an early egine death of one of Ford's demonstration models - likely had a hard life.

IIRC - a new engine under the insurance claim was about $14k. I see rebuilt engines on e-bay once in a while for about $2,500.

i just gotta figure out if they did it right b/c all they did was a compression test i am assuming. i think i should get a second opinion b/c they never gave me a full report on why and exactly what's wrong. and that engine quik is out of canada and ebay so it's a stretch

you have GOT to get a second opinion. go to car-part.com you can find low mileage used engines 1000-2000

APOLLO24 said:
has anyone had to change theirs? how much will it cost? i maintained the car perfectly and can't figure out this is

That sucks! I feel for you. What's the back story on this? How did it come to this point? Just wondering.

Wish I got that news! Time for a 03+ Jaguar Type-R Supercharged motor conversion.

(Just trying to put a positive side to it)

That sucks, Im surprised the damage could be so bad that it require a new motor. Keep us posted.

02V8Sport said:
Wish I got that news! Time for a 03+ Jaguar Type-R Supercharged motor conversion.

(Just trying to put a positive side to it)

That sucks, Im surprised the damage could be so bad that it require a new motor. Keep us posted.

Sometimes it's cheaper to install a new engine than fix the old one. That's what happened to me. A wrist pin broke in one cylinder and to completely tear down the engine and replace the part was going to cost me about $4500, wheras a complete engine swap including an engine I found on-line with under 1000 miles on it and WITH a 4 year parts and labor waranty was only going to be $3000, no brainer there.
Go here for a list of sources for used engines:

http://www.urgpartsearch.com/link/search.cfm

History on the car is that i had it since mile one. i had it special ordered 6 months before any ls was on the road. babied the car all the way. car started sputtering one day and then after i parked it , it would not start again. thought it was a simple fuel problem but nope. they got the car started and i heard clanking coming from the engine. sounded terrible. i'm going to get car towed today to get second opinion. i think these guys just don't want to tie up their mechanics with maybe a head or valve job. what a love hate relationship with this car huh? kinda like a hot girlfriend who goes and gets screwed by the entire ny jets team, yet you still give her a second chance:Bang

APOLLO24 said:
History on the car is that i had it since mile one. i had it special ordered 6 months before any ls was on the road. babied the car all the way. car started sputtering one day and then after i parked it , it would not start again. thought it was a simple fuel problem but nope. they got the car started and i heard clanking coming from the engine. sounded terrible. i'm going to get car towed today to get second opinion. i think these guys just don't want to tie up their mechanics with maybe a head or valve job. what a love hate relationship with this car huh? kinda like a hot girlfriend who goes and gets screwed by the entire ny jets team, yet you still give her a second chance:Bang

Honestly, comming from a fellow mechanic, if that engine needs a head/valve job - you'd be better off just getting a new engine...

Same or maybe a different topic. If you hear some knocking and pinging on acceleration, does that mean the engine is going out?

I've tried fuel injector cleaner, oil change. But the sound is still there. Sounds like lifters. Please help.

one of the secondary timing chain tensioners probably broke, not very common on the LS but very common on that motors counter part in the jaguar XJ8

how many miles are on it?

Take it too a Lincoln dealer, pay to get it diaged right.

Jay

pbslmo said:
Same or maybe a different topic. If you hear some knocking and pinging on acceleration, does that mean the engine is going out?

I've tried fuel injector cleaner, oil change. But the sound is still there. Sounds like lifters. Please help.

It does if you keep that up. It's detonation...and that is NOT a good thing. Try using different brand fuel. Make sure it's 91-93 octane. If it still does it, you need to get it in and have it looked at. Something's wrong.

JUST GOT WORD FROM MECHANIC. he said the timing chain is busted. BIG job. losing my mind

2001LS8Sport said:
It does if you keep that up. It's detonation...and that is NOT a good thing. Try using different brand fuel. Make sure it's 91-93 octane. If it still does it, you need to get it in and have it looked at. Something's wrong.

I do use the 91 octane. I tried the 87 when I first got the car and it cause a lot of "detonaton" problems, so I have always used the highest octane. My car has 80,xxx miles. The previous post mentioned chain pretensionors. Is this expensive? Should I trade up to the '05 I saw for $17995?

APOLLO24 said:
JUST GOT WORD FROM MECHANIC. he said the timing chain is busted. BIG job. losing my mind

Did it ruin the engine? Can you just replace the chain and tensioners? The reason I ask is b/c timing belts snap in Hondas and you don't have to replace the engine...food for thought.

For now it's just the chain and tensioners. when they take everything apart who knows?

I would assume the ls uses an "interference" engine design being a DOHC motor. What this means is that when the timing chains go the pistons literally run into the valves. Back in my eagle Talon days a buddy had his timing belt go and UGLY. that stuff blows holes through blocks.

beaups said:
I would assume the ls uses an "interference" engine design being a DOHC motor. What this means is that when the timing chains go the pistons literally run into the valves. Back in my eagle Talon days a buddy had his timing belt go and UGLY. that stuff blows holes through blocks.

We had an Audi that had the same thing happen, it basically required a total rebuild. Tough luck man, keep us posted.

APOLLO24 said:

That, combined with......

APOLLO24 said:
they got the car started and i heard clanking coming from the engine. sounded terrible.

spells BAD NEWS. You've got 4 pistons "kissing" up to 16 valves. So either those valves are now bent or your pistons have holes knocked in them, or both. If you are lucky no damage was done to the heads / cams / lifters or the cylinder walls. In any case, a used replacement engine is going to be cheaper than rebuilding this one. Depending on the damage done, your old engine may be worth something as a core.

Good luck.

I see rebuilt engines on e-bay once in a while for about $2,500.
Ironic, don't you think, that you can purchase a rebuilt engine for 2500 but you cannot rebuild your own for that little?

depends on how bad the damage is. Again, the block could be very badly damaged or even have a hole blown through it.

2001LS8Sport said:
what about valve lash?

i just had to drop an engine in my ls. It sucks. I just bought the car a month ago with 130000 on it. but im getting a pretty good deal on the engine. im getting a used engine with 40k on it installed for 2585 plus tax. so not to bad. i checked the blue book and it shouldnt lose any value. guess what the dealer wanted for a new engine in stalled. $7300!!!!!! i could have bought three used engines for that!

Members online

Back