Headlamp Cleaning

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I need some solutions to clean these headlamps. I want to try this before I purchase new ones. Does anyone have any ideas? I've heard rubbing compound, 1000 grit sand paper, Anything would be helpful.

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

I start by soaking fine grit sandpaper in water and wetsanding the lights in a back-and-fourth motion. Start with a finer grit, like 2000 and work your way down to about 1000-1200. After that, I hit it with Meguire's Plast-X plastic polish on a buffer. That stuff works great. After that, I polish it off with a liquid wax.

evillally said:
I start by soaking fine grit sandpaper in water and wetsanding the lights in a back-and-fourth motion. Start with a finer grit, like 2000 and work your way down to about 1000-1200. After that, I hit it with Meguire's Plast-X plastic polish on a buffer. That stuff works great. After that, I polish it off with a liquid wax.

Plast-X is da bom! I bought some at the Carlisle parts meet this past weekend ($3.00) and WOW it cleared up 80-90%.

I have used Mr Clean pads with a ton of water on my 94-E-150 and followed up with Plast-X and a coat of wax and they look new again.

evillally said:

You have that ass backwards, start with 1500 & then go to 2000 !!!!!!

This is what I did... Start by cleaning the lense with water. Then take 1000 grit wet sand paper to it. After taking a good layer off go down to 1500 wet sand paper, then finish off with 2000 wet sand. Then polish the lense with plastic polish. I used blue magic.

how it started-
97mark8022.gif

lights1006.gif

lights1009.gif

lights1008.gif

the end result-
lights1010.gif

lights1011.gif

lights1012.gif

lights1013.gif

nice and bright!
lights1018.gif

lights1019.gif

I've used polishing compound on at least 6 sets of lights with good results.

Members online

No members online now.
Back