Powerstop D/S Rotors & pads Installed on LS

RollinLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I finally had time to install the Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. WOW!!!! I still have to break them in. Already notice a HUGE difference in braking. They are just an OEM replacement. Same size as the factory brakes. Very happy with them.

LS brake 1.jpg

LS brake 2.jpg

LS brake 3.jpg

LS brake 4.jpg

Last edited:
With those big honkin wheels, those rotors look like tea cup saucers. You gotta fill that nasty empty gap around there. I think a big brake kit is certainly in order... go big or go home, right?

mholhut said:
With those big honkin wheels, those rotors look like tea cup saucers. You gotta fill that nasty empty gap around there. I think a big brake kit is certainly in order... go big or go home, right?
Yeah! Big Brake kit! StopTech!

Nice brakes, but that's why I like the close looking wheels, you can't really see the LS's small rotors.

What brand are the new pads.

I'm getting sick of the squeal that the LS has for the first couple of stops each day.

JES_LS said:

I'm getting sick of the squeal that the LS has for the first couple of stops each day.
You may be able to eliminate the squeal by applying Permatex Disk Brake Quiet to the back side of the pads. You'd have to remove the pads but it's worth it. I did this on the Porterfields I had prior the StopTech setup and it worked like a charm.

hey I have a brake question....I must have lost a spacer that goes on the bolt that goes threw the caliper....and my front pads are loose and clank alot when driving on a bumpy road....I went to lincoln and they didnt know what part it was and said i had to buy the entire assembly...so anyone know where i can find this part, when I do my brakes and rims Im gonna replace it ,its driving me crazy....

GrayGhost1 said:
Yeah! Big Brake kit! StopTech!
Think I can get them for free. Cause the ones I have were. So I am not complaining.;)

JES_LS said:

The ceramic pads and rotors are made by Powerstop.

Last edited:
GrayGhost1 said:
You may be able to eliminate the squeal by applying Permatex Disk Brake Quiet to the back side of the pads. You'd have to remove the pads but it's worth it. I did this on the Porterfields I had prior the StopTech setup and it worked like a charm.
I have done that twice now, it is just the pad itself. It is sort of my fault, when the car started to shriek from the wear indicators the last time, there was no time to wait and the wife was not leaving me much time to get the work completed.
So I bought the Ultra premium pads that on local parts store sells, instead of waiting three days for them to get me Wagner QuietTherms like I have on the front and also on my other three street cars.
I sprayed the rear pads with the permatex spray which was blue and greased all the contact points and they still squeal when cold. I took the rear all part again, regreased and applied the thick orange paste to the backs of the pads.
And it still squeals and has for 22,000 miles. Its only the first one or two stops until the pads get some heat in them and then it stops.

But I'm really getting sick of hearing it and so I'm gonna go in and change 'em out.

So what brand were these pads again????

So whats the best brand of pads that won't squeel. My pads squeel no matter how hot they are...annoying and embarrassing.

01LSv6 said:
So whats the best brand of pads that won't squeel. My pads squeel no matter how hot they are...annoying and embarrassing.

Im on my third LS and have tried MANY pads on each car. The best I found for the buck so far are the Bosch brake pads. You will have to call around to see who carries them. About $50 for the fronts.

I know this is an old thread but...

I replaced my fronts with these, purchased from Amazon ($160.65 - Nov '12)

There was a noticeable increase in braking, but then my fronts also needed replaced so I can't say exactly how much of a difference these made over standard new brakes. Also since this is my first brake change on the LS, I have nothing to base it on.

What I can say, is that I am happy with the braking as is, and they might even make it look better if you could see through the wheels a little more (factory '04 chrome 8 spoke's) And other than the squeal on the first couple stops of the day I am happy with them.

I intend on doing the same for the rear, unless I make the jump to big brakes first.

Using a very light sand paper to de-glaze the rotors when new pads are replaced will iliminate squeeling most of the time. Anytime hot discs/pads are driven thru a large rain puddle can cause glazing. Removing pads sanding off glaze on pads & rotors can stop squeeling after this. I have found the Warner pads usually hold up longer against squeeling in he last 20 years or so, on my cars & trucks. I use the orange anti-squeel most of the time on the back of my pads, anti-seize on the shims, if applicable & lube the bolt boots. I always wire brush the bolts when removed also.

I have also recently installed a premium POWER STOP Brake Kit #K1352 purchased from Rock Auto $270.

Z23 Evolution Sport; Incl. Hardware
High-performance rotor & pad set delivers the big brake feel without the big brake price
Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Pads:
  • Carbon Fiber and Ceramic Compound
  • High temperature threshold to resist fade during extreme driving
  • Quiet, low-dust ceramic formula
  • Shims made with dual rubber layers over constrained steel to eliminate noise
  • Premium stainless steel hardware kit included where applicable
  • High temperature ceramic lubricant included with every pad set
Power Stop Drilled & Slotted Rotors:
  • Drill holes reduce brake temperature
  • Slots sweep gas and dust away for solid pad contact
  • Silver zinc plated to resist corrosion
  • Precision machined for exact OEM fit
Running my 2006 LS daily on German Autobahns I am fully impressed with the stopping quality of this upgrade. I no longer have fears I experienced with the OEM system during situations requiring immediate speed reductions from over 100mph. That, and a Moog suspension upgrade has put me in a whole different class of high-speed handling.

Had z26 pads on my 5.0 wasnt that great but better than stock. Just ditched these rotors for quality OEM rotors. They rust like hell overnight and didnt last long.

Anyone that installed this brake kit, did anyone have difficulty with the brake pads fitting into place with the caliper bracket hardware. Referring to the rear brakes. For me would just get jammed l tried tap with a hammer see if it nudge enough into place but then the hardware would move. I just left the hardware out and put the pads in as is with some lubricant. Need some advice thanks.

Did you screw the caliper pistons back into the caliper?

The rear calipers on the LS use a ratcheting system for the parking brake so that the parking brake can maintain proper clamping pressure on the rotors.

Every time the parking brake is applied... it turns the caliper piston out slightly. When new pads are installed... the caliper piston has to be screwed in all the way before installing the caliper. Otherwise the caliper wont fit over the brake pads.

If this is not your issue... then you most likely have an incompatibility issue with the thickness of the pads ... and the thickness of the rotors.

...Keep in mind that the pistons screw in... in opposite directions... depending on which side of the vehicle you are working on.

In either case, you turn them clockwise to retract them.

Maybe so. It's been a while since I've had to mess with them.

I figured since both cables pulled toward the front of the vehicle... that one would be CW... and the other CCW.

Maybe I have that backwards too. :confused:

Actually... I may have misread the question completely.

did anyone have difficulty with the brake pads fitting into place with the caliper bracket hardware. Referring to the rear brakes. For me would just get jammed l tried tap with a hammer see if it nudge enough into place but then the hardware would move. I just left the hardware out and put the pads in as is

New response:

Sometimes the edges of the pad backing plates have a lip or "edge" on them due to the way the steel is die cut.

It takes a bit of custom fitting, but the edges should be filed down smooth enough for the brake pad to fit in the bracket with the anti rattle clips on the brackets.

Members online

Back