149 Mph Is That All ! ! !

Sorry I'm a little late here guys.I have built a few of these engines and the ONLY differences between the Cobra and the Mark engine are that the Cobra has a forged crank, a different exhaust cam( very slightly different, NO power difference) and the intake manifold.The Mark manifold is more geared toward low end torque cause the cars are heavier.
A STOCK block is only good to about 1000 HP or so, after that there are things that need to be done to keep it in one piece.So yes there are a couple people making 1600-1800 HP but the blocks are NOT stock, they have a special cement like substance poured into the water jackets and a few other tricks to solidify the block.LIke custom welded plates that connect the valley at the top of the engine.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

The specs I have seem to show that the 2 versions of the '98 MKVIII and the '98 Cobra were fairly close in power output but at that level it takes a lot to get a few HP or lb/ft of torque. Here's what I have:

Cobra = 305hp, 300lb/ft Torque
MKVIII (base) = 280hp, 285lb/ft Torque
MKVIII (LSC) = 290hp, 290lb/ft Torque

So there WAS definate power differences between these cars. Actually a fairly big difference. 25hp and 15lb/ft of torque are a substantial difference. I'd love to know exactly what makes the difference between these supposedly identical (except for a mild exhaust cam that makes no power difference, and an intake retuned for a different power curve). I wish they had the Part 2 available from that magazine! :Bang

yea it definately says Part II is next month on the bottom of the article in real little words.

Yeah, that sucks.
It's funny though. In the Cadillac Northstar, the base and high output versions are as follows:

Base (Eldo/SLS) = 275hp, 300lb/ft torque
HO (ETC/STS) = 300hp, 295lb/ft torque

And the only real difference between them is the cams.

OmarZildjian said:
I beat a ......and a supercharged Buick Grand National.

You are either referring to a TURBOcharged RWD Buick Grand National (pre '88), that was indeed capable of 13s and 12s w/ mods, OR a SUPERcharged Buick Gran Sport ('88+), which is Buick's equiv to the FWD Pontiac GTP, which is a hi-14 to mid 15 car stock, capable of 13s w/ mods.

I don't know about the MB 5.0, but no N/A LS is going to touch a GTO, 1/4-mi or top-end. The only way an LS will get in front of a GTO is if the GTO driver backs out.

Venture M/S...... got a timeslip on your LS?

Katshot said:
The specs I have seem to show that the 2 versions of the '98 MKVIII and the '98 Cobra were fairly close in power output but at that level it takes a lot to get a few HP or lb/ft of torque. Here's what I have:

Cobra = 305hp, 300lb/ft Torque
MKVIII (base) = 280hp, 285lb/ft Torque
MKVIII (LSC) = 290hp, 290lb/ft Torque

So there WAS definate power differences between these cars. Actually a fairly big difference. 25hp and 15lb/ft of torque are a substantial difference. I'd love to know exactly what makes the difference between these supposedly identical (except for a mild exhaust cam that makes no power difference, and an intake retuned for a different power curve). I wish they had the Part 2 available from that magazine! :Bang

I'm willing to bet that the extra power is coming from the intake/TB designs as well as the exhaust and manifolds/headers.

I know the only difference from the base to the LSC (engine wise) was the true dual exhaust which bumped it up 10 HP :)

JohnnyBz00LS said:
You are either referring to a TURBOcharged RWD Buick Grand National (pre '88), that was indeed capable of 13s and 12s w/ mods, OR a SUPERcharged Buick Gran Sport ('88+), which is Buick's equiv to the FWD Pontiac GTP, which is a hi-14 to mid 15 car stock, capable of 13s w/ mods.

I don't know about the MB 5.0, but no N/A LS is going to touch a GTO, 1/4-mi or top-end. The only way an LS will get in front of a GTO is if the GTO driver backs out.

Venture M/S...... got a timeslip on your LS?
Ill have a couple on the 19th (posted on the 20th) Ill be running at Qual Comm in San Diego with My NOS and C12 as fuel (108 Octane). Should have some quick times!

The difference is in the manifold and definately in the tune of the computer.

This SUCKS!!!
I went out and bought the new edition of that magazine and guess what? Part 2 is NOT in it. So I'm guessing that the article posted was NOT in their last edition. Now I'm REALLY pissed!!!!!!!!!

Katshot said:
This SUCKS!!!
I went out and bought the new edition of that magazine and guess what? Part 2 is NOT in it. So I'm guessing that the article posted was NOT in their last edition. Now I'm REALLY pissed!!!!!!!!!
Didn't even think about buying it! How much is the subscription cards inside?

Venture_motorsports_LS said:
Ill have a couple on the 19th (posted on the 20th) Ill be running at Qual Comm in San Diego with My NOS and C12 as fuel (108 Octane). Should have some quick times!

Looking forward to seeing those. How 'bout a N/A (no juice) run or two? I'd be interested to see if anyone w/ a pre-'03 can beat my time w/ similar mods (I haven't seen anyone w/ a faster slip yet). Does your '00 have a 3.31 (DOB > 7/99) or 3.58 (DOB < 7/99) rear gear? My '00's DOB is 4/99 and has the 3.58 rear.

Katshot said:
An LS with that list of mods doesn't stand a chance in HELL of even competing with the cars you list let alone BEATING them.
I've beeten better cars in my Mark VIII. Including an 01 BMW M5. You can tweak out just about any car to nearly any spec you need these days. I wouldn't underestimate the power of the lincoln V8's ;)

lincoln_mk8 said:
I've beeten better cars in my Mark VIII. Including an 01 BMW M5. You can tweak out just about any car to nearly any spec you need these days. I wouldn't underestimate the power of the lincoln V8's ;)

is you're mark VIII stock? I'm sorry but I have to call BS if you're either stock, or nearly stock. The 01 M5 comes with a 6 speed gearbox and a 394 HP 302.

0-60 in 4.8, quatermile in 13.3 @ 108 and a top speed of 155 (electronicly limited)

I'm sorry... but unless you'r packing a nice gear package, high stall convertor and a nice shot of juice or a blower... I just don't see it happening.

I love these cars and everything... but like I said, unless you got a nice setup, it just aint happening.

lincoln_mk8 said:

Here's another one that just proves my point. :bsflag:

MAT88GT said:
eh thats one way to look at it, but the gains (if any) are nothing that would be noticed...you'll run into problems with the wrong plugs in the engine, more along the lines of plug life. If you want to control a/f ratio and inturn, burn quality, you certainly don't want to do it with a plug change. You'll find (though rare) engines that run a carb that can't get even burn distribution cylinder to cylinder that would be canidates for using different heat range plugs to tailer burn (per cylinder)...but this is totally different.

there are 3 factors that can/will limit your top speed
hp, it takes hp to keep an object accelorating
rev limit, if you can't build revs you can't increase speed excede XXXX rpm in any gear and the eec pulls spark (they used to pull fuel back in the eec4 days)
absolute speed limit, pass a certain rpm in X gear and the eec pulls spark at random

Whats wrong with 149mph? why on Earth would you want to travel more than 2x the legal speed limit on public roads?

Bah... speed limits... something invented by the insurance companies, sold to cops, and somehow convinced to the general public that they keep us "safe"... see the following articles:

Montana speed limit paradox:
http://www.motorists.com/pressreleases/montana.html
Fatal accidents double on Montana's Interstates... after speed limits are enacted
http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm

Gosh is it just me or was the thread starter a friggin moron?!? I absolutely love the LS. It is a car that is totally sexxy and has potential in the right hands. With that said, that guy was talking about beating high 12 second capable (if driven well) to mid 13 second cars like they were nothing. Hehe, anything can happen on the street, but not as often as that guy said! He would have had to have about 10,000 horseshoes and 5,000 rabbits feet in his car to be that consistently lucky. hehe. Man some people need to get a better grasp of reality. :slam

Venture_motorsports_LS said:

So you first say that you beat all these cars N/A and even had the Benz driver check for a nitrous setup. Now you're telling us that you're going to the strip... a week from now... and you'll be running nitrous and race fuel?

Something doesn't make sense here...

Either you had nitrous at the time you were racing and beat those other cars... or you're installing a nitrous setup before you go to the strip so you don't loose face.

Everyone salute the flag:
:bsflag:

Starting to sound like that IROC owner from CA who said his car couldn't be detected on radar because he kept it so clean!

rocket5979 said:
Gosh is it just me or was the thread starter a friggin moron?!? I absolutely love the LS. It is a car that is totally sexxy and has potential in the right hands. With that said, that guy was talking about beating high 12 second capable (if driven well) to mid 13 second cars like they were nothing. Hehe, anything can happen on the street, but not as often as that guy said! He would have had to have about 10,000 horseshoes and 5,000 rabbits feet in his car to be that consistently lucky. hehe. Man some people need to get a better grasp of reality. :slam

Methinks that the thread starter "beat" a GTO (and other cars) by weaving in and out of traffic and doing stupid crap that makes little children who drive cars think they're a "good driver" because they can weave through traffic and "beat" a faster car.

is this some sort of early april fools joke?

anyways, I'll race you in my new Mercedes CLS 55amg 5.5L V8 469HP, if you can beat those cars, I'm quite sure you can beat me..

Better yet, I'll fight ya for pink slips..

hottweelz said:
Actually, they are, Cobra is aluminum, only difference. Mine is aluminum now

Uhmmm....no....03/04 Cobras are iron blocks. The last aluminum Cobra block was 2001. The good aluminum blocks are mid 90's versions and are called "Teksid" blocks. They were cast in Italy and are much stronger than the later ones cast domestically.

Members online

Back