149 Mph Is That All ! ! !

I doubt you want to travel to Iowa just to race, but we have 3-4 track days for my site every year...they're geared toward fomoco stuff yet anyone is welcome to attend and race

MAT88GT said:
I doubt you want to travel to Iowa just to race, but we have 3-4 track days for my site every year...they're geared toward fomoco stuff yet anyone is welcome to attend and race

Yeah, you're right. I like to stay local, especially if I'm racing.

Katshot said:
Dude, you're comments are laughable (the ones I could understand anyway). I had to read your post a couple times to decifer them and I'm STILL not sure WHAT you wanted to break but be that as it may, I assure you that it would take quite a bit of luck for you to pull off anything remotely considered a victory against ANY of the cars you listed.
I too, like the LS but it is anything but a racecar. Enjoy your car for what it is, a nice looking, classy ride. If you ever really want to race, pick on something more your speed. There's plenty of 15 second cars out there to play with. Just don't expect me to swallow your daydreams.
Oh, and BTW, anytime you want a "Caddy driver" to show you "what's up", bring that LS to my area of the country and I'll take you to school. Hell, a STOCK STS or ETC would spank your LS.
If anyone was to read my original post. i never stated i raced these cars in a 1/4 mile. Im a commuter and most races hapen on the freeway. So TRY AGAIN. "BTW" hell would freeze over b4 you "schooled" me in your 4300 pound BOAT!

1/4 mile or no, you're WAY out of your league. I think you're probably mistaken about those cars racing you. And as far as me schooling you with my "4300 pound boat", get it right, it's more like 4500 pounds! And I'll STILL have no problem dusting your LS from any speed.

Katshot said:
1/4 mile or no, you're WAY out of your league. I think you're probably mistaken about those cars racing you. And as far as me schooling you with my "4300 pound boat", get it right, it's more like 4500 pounds! And I'll STILL have no problem dusting your LS from any speed.

:I Well, lets put it this way: I OWN an LS, and I won't even talk it up like that. A buddy of mine with an 03 Acura RSX- Type S stick with me from a dead stop all the way to about 70... Then that six speed trans of his helps him pull to about 2 car lengths on me by the time we are at 120ish. Yep, a 2 litre 4 banger. It took me a custom exhasut and intake to keep up with him, but he still pulls when we get closer to 100. There simply isn't enough low end power in the LS to get a good launch. On the E-way, as you said, it is a different story, the LS has a decent amount of power on tap when it is already moving, i've had my share of audi's, bimmers, and mercedes that think thier lux is better than mine, and i proved them wrong. However, THEY need to know that you wan't to prove this to them. When you fly past them and then they mash it, it doesn't quite count.

mikepietras04 said:
:I Well, lets put it this way: I OWN an LS, and I won't even talk it up like that. A buddy of mine with an 03 Acura RSX- Type S stick with me from a dead stop all the way to about 70... Then that six speed trans of his helps him pull to about 2 car lengths on me by the time we are at 120ish. Yep, a 2 litre 4 banger. It took me a custom exhasut and intake to keep up with him, but he still pulls when we get closer to 100. There simply isn't enough low end power in the LS to get a good launch. On the E-way, as you said, it is a different story, the LS has a decent amount of power on tap when it is already moving, i've had my share of audi's, bimmers, and mercedes that think thier lux is better than mine, and i proved them wrong. However, THEY need to know that you wan't to prove this to them. When you fly past them and then they mash it, it doesn't quite count.

Exactly. :I

Katshot said:
No doubt. But the fact is that "stock" for "stock", a 4.6 Northstar Cadillac will beat up on a 4.6 Lincoln. Once you start modding the cars, ANYTHING can happen. The guy's comments about the cars he beat with a basically stock LS were ludicrous, and when he started making what was basically a personal attack (Caddy drivers) he only helped to ruin whatever credibility he had as far as I'm concerned.
I realize MY car isn't any "racecar" but it's more than a match for any marginally modded (read: naturally aspirated, bolt-on mods, no engine mods, no juice) Lincoln. Hell, I have a fairly quick MKVII but I wouldn't dilude myself about it's performance.
I agree that a track day would be fun.

Okay, you had me on your side for a minute.I agree with the BS flag.
But I HAVE raced stock MarkVIIIs with stock Caddies and while they are close races the Lincoln pulls a car or two once it hits third gear.EVERYTIME

And I know how much faster a stock Mark is compared to a stock LS, thats why I agree with the BS flag.

unstoppable said:
But I HAVE raced stock MarkVIIIs with stock Caddies and while they are close races the Lincoln pulls a car or two once it hits third gear.EVERYTIME

And I know how much faster a stock Mark is compared to a stock LS, thats why I agree with the BS flag.

You're right. The LS is way slower than the MKVIII but I still have yet to see a stock MKVIII get into the 14's at the track, and that is usually fairly common with STSs and ETCs. High 14's but that's still into the 14's. I haven't tried to look up any test results online to verify my claims, maybe you have? I was making a purely "subjective" call on this one. If the MKVIII is a 14 second car stock, let me know. I just haven't actually seen one break under the 15 sec. mark.

unstoppable said:

I agree... I raced an older gentleman (my buddy's landlord) last year in his 98 El Dorado (he has approx 40K on the clock) against my 1993 mark VIII (80K or so miles). We ran 'em 3 or 4 times (twice from a dead dig and twice from a roll) and I spanked 'em every time by atleast 3 cars.

The guy was all looking under my hood for a blower afterwords lol.

here is a time slip from when my lincoln was 110% bone stock... right down to the old spark plugs, clogged fuel filter and crusy air cleaner (even had the intake resonator still in it)
Timeslip_1499.jpg

:L

BTW... I believe nickT's mark VIII hit a 14.6 stock aswell :)

I really really need to add my .02, maybe even a $1.99, but, and please, please, don't get me wrong, I love my Lincoln, and I mean :L

but *sigh* ... has anyone asked, "How long did it take you to get to 149? How fast were you going when you started?"

I'm a Long Island boy, and I'll race anyone, and there are some hiways out here, that California DREAMS of owning on their map. 149? *yawn* I've been radared, arrested, and let go at higher speeds in my 83 Pontiac. (Not Stock obviously)

I've always been a Chevy guy as well. :C and my 83 Grand Prix at any rate, would take either of my two cars in the signature below, to the point where I'd insult myself, (350, 400 crank/cam, roller, blah blah blah, 383 Stroker 500+ hp...) My Grand Prix actually cracks my tail lights when I take off from a stand still (Anyone know how to resolve that?)

But I just don't see a new LS eating those cars... forgive my ignorance but don't those new LS's have that electronic throttle, where there's not even a "cable?" .... Never trust a computer...

Wow I totally ranted.

Okay, shoot me for 8/1000th of a second. ;)

You may have beaten up on a Caddy as you say but I've seen STSs at the track running high 14's as well and I've even seen them in magazines running 14.6's and 14.7's so I guess you just happened to find a slow Eldorado. What are some published ET's of the MKVIII?

Katshot said:

You may have beaten up on a Caddy as you say but I've seen STSs at the track running high 14's as well and I've even seen them in magazines running 14.6's and 14.7's so I guess you just happened to find a slow Eldorado. What are some published ET's of the MKVIII?
The Eldo probably had like 150k city miles on it. I would LOVE to rip a Northstart 4.6 out and throw it in front drive 90 Grand Prix... I would scare people.

Katshot said:

lol, hey... 14's are 14's :D

plus I'm sure with a better driver, it could have hit better numbers. I went when first bought the car and it was my first time at a track

still not sure why lincoln didn't put steeper gears in these things though :(

edit: not sure on published et's on the car. all depends on where ya look I guess. then again, you can never really trust those numbers IMHO. I've read alot of biased articles before.

Last edited:
SC_Steve said:
lol, hey... 14's are 14's :D

plus I'm sure with a better driver, it could have hit better numbers. I went when first bought the car and it was my first time at a track

still not sure why lincoln didn't put steeper gears in these things though :(

edit: not sure on published et's on the car. all depends on where ya look I guess. then again, you can never really trust those numbers IMHO. I've read alot of biased articles before.
Gears: Cuz it's a Luxury car at heart... 30 mpg at 65-75 is the key here. ;)

Unfortunately, that's what you get when you put an engine designed for a manual trans in a heavy car with an automatic. Believe me, I know what you mean. My Aviator is stuck with the same problem. And don't even get me on the subject of how stupid it was to use that engine in the Marauder! :Bang
Hey Ford, Listen up!
Big cars with automatics need engines with bottom-end torque!

There are stock MarkVIIIS all over the country running DEEP into the 14s.

Ive seen timeslips as low as 14.6 but I THINK there are a couple even faster.BONE STOCK

Are we still arguing over time slips...? I'll go do 14.x this weekend and scan my slip... this is, as Americans, what we shoot for? 14.x seconds in a Car? My daily driver Mark VIII better be a 14 second car otherwise you'll see it for sale... Anybody got some C(n)H(2n+1)OH laying around? 14 seconds... 149mph+ top speed woohoo, my stereo is louder than yours :p

Check Please.

Oh we all forgot something. Caddy 4.6 is Front Drive, Lincoln Cobra 4.6 is Rear Drive... who's got the ratio #s at hand? How about Torque? Can we rip the two 4.6s out of the cars, hang 'em on a mount and see who produces more?

hottweelz said:
Are we still arguing over time slips...? I'll go do 14.x this weekend and scan my slip... this is, as Americans, what we shoot for? 14.x seconds in a Car? My daily driver Mark VIII better be a 14 second car otherwise you'll see it for sale... Anybody got some C(n)H(2n+1)OH laying around? 14 seconds... 149mph+ top speed woohoo, my stereo is louder than yours :p

Check Please.

Oh we all forgot something. Caddy 4.6 is Front Drive, Lincoln Cobra 4.6 is Rear Drive... who's got the ratio #s at hand? How about Torque? Can we rip the two 4.6s out of the cars, hang 'em on a mount and see who produces more?

I don't think we have to worry about doing that. We already know the Northstar is more powerful. And as for the other stuff mentioned, it sounds like you tried to drink that stuff you inserted the formula for. Shouldn't do that, not healthy. ;)

the motor in the M8 is not a cobra motor. it is a DOHC like the cobra. in the lincoln, it is rated at (depending on year and if it is an LSC) 275-290. if i am right, the northstar(also depending on year) was about 275-300. i am sure the torque rating is about the same, but i think the M8 is about 300lb/ft. i can't say i know the 1/4 times on either, but i have been in both. and to me, the M8 feels faster. my uncle has a caddy(not sure which one, but it is equal to the M8) with the northstar. it did feel pretty dam quick, but M8 felt faster. i worked for ford for 11 years(at a F-L-M dealer), i have been around them. i do know that Ford Motorsports put a computer without a speed limiter on a (i think) 1997-98 M8, and they claimed a top speed of 180 on the salt flats. i love the M8's. :L

MK8-STS 4 Quaters for a Dollar

Got to Love them both....
Like fine women, no two the same...yet...Oh lets not go there!

Katshot said:
Exactly. :I
the mercedes i raced 3X. all starting at about 90-105mph = about 4300 rpm (MAX torque) climbing all the way to 149 MPH =6500 MAx HP. He was pissed and REALLY wanted me to pull over. his attitude kinda reminds me of all of YOU. he thought i shot NOs on him, i didnt. he looked in my trunk under my hood and seats. And was distrout. Shook my hand and siad he was impressed. Its a true story, the ONLY one whoever gave me props on my car. This was an 05 Mercedes with the 5.0 V8!
I have 85K on my motor and its a champ. the exhaust i designed :dual 2.5" no resonator,dynomax ultraflow exhaust adds a grip of power. Can anyone else chirp 2nd in SST with 255/45 17's? PLEASE id like to know!
I dont really care if ANYONE believes me or not. Im not here to bull :q:q:q:q. Anyone that wants to try me, let me know. My Ls will love to send you home crying.! Ill just start carrying my video cam with me and make a DVD, If thats waht it takes...

Venture_motorsports_LS said:
the mercedes i raced 3X. all starting at about 90-105mph = about 4300 rpm (MAX torque) climbing all the way to 149 MPH =6500 MAx HP. He was pissed and REALLY wanted me to pull over. his attitude kinda reminds me of all of YOU. he thought i shot NOs on him, i didnt. he looked in my trunk under my hood and seats. And was distrout. Shook my hand and siad he was impressed. Its a true story, the ONLY one whoever gave me props on my car. This was an 05 Mercedes with the 5.0 V8!
I have 85K on my motor and its a champ. the exhaust i designed :dual 2.5" no resonator,dynomax ultraflow exhaust adds a grip of power. Can anyone else chirp 2nd in SST with 255/45 17's? PLEASE id like to know!
I dont really care if ANYONE believes me or not. Im not here to bull :q:q:q:q. Anyone that wants to try me, let me know. My Ls will love to send you home crying.! Ill just start carrying my video cam with me and make a DVD, If thats waht it takes...

Wow, this thread needs to end.

1: If you are going to brag/boast in a forum like this, expect scepticism. Thats what it's all about, and all you need to do is back yourself up. No one here is out to make you look like an ass.

2: The LS isn't a rocket, and wont ever be with that drivtrain. You are limited on mods for the 3.9 (intake/exhasut...big deal), the trans is slow, and you have no options for the rear above 3.58. Change any of these drivetrain parts (I.E. different rear, man. trans, different engine) and it really isn't an LS anymore. 14.9-15 seconds just isn't impressive.

3: Had great results with my turbo LS, and am in the works of doing a more dependable (and intercooled) set up. (http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=1319)
This is how far I felt I had to go to make the LS worthy of any bragging rights.

Now can we end this thread?

mikepietras04 said:
Wow, this thread needs to end.

1: If you are going to brag/boast in a forum like this, expect scepticism. Thats what it's all about, and all you need to do is back yourself up. No one here is out to make you look like an ass.

2: The LS isn't a rocket, and wont ever be with that drivtrain. You are limited on mods for the 3.9 (intake/exhasut...big deal), the trans is slow, and you have no options for the rear above 3.58. Change any of these drivetrain parts (I.E. different rear, man. trans, different engine) and it really isn't an LS anymore. 14.9-15 seconds just isn't impressive.

3: Had great results with my turbo LS, and am in the works of doing a more dependable (and intercooled) set up. (http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=1319)
This is how far I felt I had to go to make the LS worthy of any bragging rights.

Now can we end this thread?

Agreed, end it. I've never posted before, and this guy's ignorance and stupidity made me post. It didn't happen. don't lie. Peiod end of story. I own an 01 Ls V8. I love it. But it will hardly do 140 downhill, and it surley takes a long time to get there. I really don't see you rolling a 5.0L V8 Mercedes on the highway, what kind of mercedes was it? Nevermind, don't even answer. It makes no differnce. The moral of the story is, just stop, don't post BS>

Mike

Just a quick little comment here.

We don't "end" [read: delete or lock] threads here on this site if we can avoid it and only as a last resort. One of the reasons the site was founded and one of the reasons I got involved was so the 1st amendment could survive and flourish here. I am sick and tired of being told what I can/can't say, within reason.

If you want a thread to end, simply don't view the thread anymore or make any posts. It'll go away. All I ask is that we continue to be adults here. I like the idea of self-policing ourselves. We can agree to disagree and that is a good thing. Just keep it clean and non-personal and all is well. The average guy can click on a thread like this and read it, and come away with his own conclusions without too much of a problem I suspect. Make sure you have a Great Day!

Members online

Back