Fuse keeps blowing for door locks & dome lgts

TownCarDude

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I've blown about six fuses in the last few weeks. Now it's blowing as soon as I plug in the new fuse. I've taken the power window/lock sets out and checked the wires, and they look fine. This is a 91 Towncar, and frankly, I'm getting sick of it pretty fast. So many cheap and crappy parts! It's a beautiful car; I bought it to accomodate our family of five, without having a car payment. My previous car was a Mustang, which was a wonderful, trouble-free car, and we miss dearly. I would have thought a Lincoln would have been a much better car. Anyhow, can someone please point me in the most probable cause for the blowing fuses?

i had the same problem in my '87 towncar, and it turned out to be a short in one of the wires in the dome light. so maybe it might be the same for you..
although it didn't affect my door locks, just all the courtesy lights and what not.

I believe the last time i dealt with a 91 with this problem it was an issue with the wiring under the drivers seat. The drivers seat was pinching the wire that fires up the dome lights under the seat. Its an easy fix, but it requires a multimeter, a lot of your time and a schematic of some kind.

Your year lincoln was in the transition phases of the early nineties. I have a few friends that have 300k plus miles on their tc's. My 88 had 240k. I think you may notice that your year may be a little finicky, but for the most part tc's are rock solid. The parts are cheap and readily available but the car is 15 years old.

Thanks for the replies ... for some reason it has decided not to blow a fuse. I went through door locking and dome/courtesy lights (on and off) to try and systematically single out the fault, but thus far have not had another failure. The seat is the only thing that I haven't played around with, and seems more plausible at this point; since the fuse only seems to blow when my wife drives it (she has to adjust the seat), that scenario makes more sense right now. She hasn't been driving it lately.

Pepsi, I hope you're right. We bought this car from a couple in their 80's, who (as the local dealer admitted when I talked to them about the car) only or primarily had it serviced by them. They said it had had major AC work, and the suspension bags fixed, as well as a few other more minor issues. But for me--so far--it seems to want to fall to pieces. But I guess I'll keep it for a while longer; it does seem a rock-solid car, with the V8 engine power and the way it slithers and glides. It just seems a shame that these companies (the Big 3) want customer loyalty, yet some of the parts are so obviously below a standard one would think they'd be all too happy to use on their big name brands. But thanks again for the help!

Well, also it's a 15 year old car. have to cut it some slack. Anyway, could the fuse problem you are having be related to the other electrical issues you mentioned in the other post?

Sounds like You may have a short somewhere. use a test light but instead of grounding it connect it to power. it will light if you have a grounded positive.

Tim

Members online

Back