First time Mark VIII Owner - Frame Rust

willie3204

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
First timer here...
Got a 1998 Mark VIII from up north. Drove it down to Cinci area no problem. Took the car into a shop to have the exhaust leak looked at and was told the car wasn't 'road safe' due to the rusted out frame. I snapped a couple quick pics while the car was in the air. Of course to my untrained eyes the areas I saw from the unibody frame attached to these areas also didnt look good. Guy was poking holes in pieces with is finger while I stood there.
I realize these pics arent the best and when I get the car back tomorrow will take more pictures.. Looking for opinions on next steps. I see people have faced similar issues and someone named Jeremi (?) is the goto person to diagnose and fix such things. I got the car basically for 'free' .. Any opinions welcomed :oops:
PXL_20210921_222615339.jpg
PXL_20210921_222614599.jpg
PXL_20210921_222610061.jpg
PXL_20210921_222609079.jpg

5 out of 8 frame/body folks I talked to around here wouldn't even look at it.. the 3 who did told me there's nothing anyone can do or it's too far gone. One guy mentioned a body swap and the 'torque box' is toast so he wouldn't touch it...

I'll post more pictures in the next couple days but at this point pretty bummed out :( It was a fun car to drive

That is pretty bad. I think your gonna have to swap out with another frame
Yeah.. The brackets actually feel sturdier than they look but thats not saying much. This thing doesn't have a 'frame' in the traditional sense right? What am I looking at replacing? I've never had to work on a unibody car before, always drove crown vics.

Unibodies are hard to fix especially with replacing rotted metal with new. On Youtube they have vids on dropping the rear IRS and front subframe and putting that into another Mark or other vehicle which would get these parts. I haven't seen a body swap vid yet for a Mark. Correct these don't have a "traditional frame".

May have to find another clean Mark in the South or South West some where, and keep this Mark for a parts car if possible.

I'm going to park her in the garage until I figure out what to do or if I can find anyone with some advice either here or in Detroit area. It's such a nice car otherwise and would be a real shame to part it out.

Very nice Art! Looks just like my 98 lsc but mine is not the collector series. If I didn't have to many cars already you would be hearing fro me.

Well after having her checked by many folks around the area it seems she's a parts car for sure. Such a shame as the thing runs, rides, and looks great inside and out. Really bummed out.
If anyone has any leads on a black/black 98 LSC for sale let me know. Such a freakin shame..

That is a shame. No leads but when I was looking for my 98 LSC I constantly checked Ebay, Criagslist, FB market place, and offer-up. Ebay most of the time over priced. But anyway took me almost a year to find what I wanted but I did, and believe it or not found it on Offer-up. Best of luck with your search, Mark VIII is worth the effort .

I feel you on the car. It is a shame for it to be a parts car.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Blk/Blk LSC too for you.

And now she was hit while parked :( Any advice on what to do with insurance ? (Full coverage in a no fault state)

PXL_20211015_120615293.jpg
PXL_20211015_115641239.jpg

OMG. From the looks of it, check the rear quarter and under the tail light to see if the sheet metal is still straight or kinked. Check rear IRS to see if it shifted. From the photos it looks like its still straight. Might need a new rear bumper and new side tail light. Rear bumper: 1997-1998 LINCOLN MARK SERIES REAR BUMPER COVER OEM 129365 | eBay

Drivers side tail light: 1997-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Tail Light Assembly LH, Ebony (F7LY13405AAD) NOS | eBay

lincoln mark viii rear drivers side lh tail light | eBay
Neon Tail light section: 97 98 Mark viii tail light complete set W/O ballast | eBay

Would need repaint.

Check rear drivers side wheel. Looks like it lifted around the lip. Maybe the photo....

Damn, shame.

If I am reading these posts correctly, the white Mark VIII has frame rust issues, the black on black Mark VIII was hit while being parked. If I am incorrect please correct me. Either way, two beautiful Lincoln Mark VIII's wasted!! This kind of shit brings a tear to my eye!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back