98 Lincoln Mark Viii lsc help

Drumlove521

LVC Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm a hot shot truck driver and drive my mark viii about two hours to work once or twice a week (she's coming up on 175k miles), she's been a great car and I've put a lot of time and money into her, but on my most recent drive home, as soon as I got into town she wasn't pulling like she usually does(she's SCT tuned), also she was accelerating on her own, idling rough when changing gears, and hesitating when shifting into any gear, I had the transmission fluid changed not flushed a little over a year ago, and she was shifting super smooth, does it sound like the transmission is finally going out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you use mercon v
The accelerating on its own id blame the IAC valve
Normally can be cleaned
Yes sir, just swapped a new IAC valve on her a few months back as well. My buddy and I narrowed it down with his diagnostics, there's a cylinder 4 misfire(probably a cracked spark plug or bad coil), also she's leaking transmission fluid from what appears to be the transmission pan gasket, I'm taking her up to his shop as soon as I'm back at homebase and going from there, thanks for your reply.

Yes sir, just swapped a new IAC valve on her a few months back as well. My buddy and I narrowed it down with his diagnostics, there's a cylinder 4 misfire(probably a cracked spark plug or bad coil), also she's leaking transmission fluid from what appears to be the transmission pan gasket, I'm taking her up to his shop as soon as I'm back at homebase and going from there, thanks for your reply.
Spark plug boots fail a lot and so do the gaskets keeping oil away from the plugs

The Trans pan leak will more than likely be the dip stick O-ring that goes in at the passenger side front corner of the pan area. Its a tiny O-ring that has a big job way below the oil level on the trans. You have to drain out the oil or suck alot of it out before removing the tube to replace it.

Spark plug boots fail a lot and so do the gaskets keeping oil away from the plugs
I was worried they might, I just ordered new coils, wires, and plug bolts from jegs. Just waiting for them to come in. Have you ever changed the plugs, coils, and boots yourself? I have all the tools needed I believe, torque wrench, spark plug socket, etc.

The Trans pan leak will more than likely be the dip stick O-ring that goes in at the passenger side front corner of the pan area. Its a tiny O-ring that has a big job way below the oil level on the trans. You have to drain out the oil or suck alot of it out before removing the tube to replace it.
So that's a big issue with trans leaks on the lsc's? Duly noted. I'll check it out whenever I have her up in the air. Thanks.

So that's a big issue with trans leaks on the lsc's? Duly noted. I'll check it out whenever I have her up in the air. Thanks.
Yeah and the guy at the trans shop said its not a basic size but a ford only kind. He was able to get the right O ring. I wrote up an article on doing plugs here. Hope it helps if your new to it like I was.

Yeah and the guy at the trans shop said its not a basic size but a ford only kind. He was able to get the right O ring. I wrote up an article on doing plugs here. Hope it helps if your new to it like I was.

Awesome stuff man, thanks for the post. I will post the pictures and results.

I was worried they might, I just ordered new coils, wires, and plug bolts from jegs. Just waiting for them to come in. Have you ever changed the plugs, coils, and boots yourself? I have all the tools needed I believe, torque wrench, spark plug socket, etc.
Yea many times. Easy job but for coils I like to stay Motorcraft
If you need to do gaskets thats a bit more of a challenge just find a good write up
Also check the gap on the plugs

I just turned 6K on the Accel's and E3 plugs. Car runs like a jet with a solid 25 mpg 87 oct. hand figured running 75-80 mph on I-40 TN. Cant fault that combo at this point.

Members online

Back