Electrical Gremlins Galore! 94 mark viii

Vagaso

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently in the last week I've been having weirder and weirder electrical issues. It started with the wipers not wanting to work sometimes or just being slow.
Nothing crazy, but last night the radio stopped working, the message center isnt on at all, the climate control starts off and when I change it to anything it switches off again, the dash lights wont turn on, and the gas gauge is pointing straight up. The most worrying thing is that the airbag light is flashing as well.

I have no idea what would be causing so many problems at once. I thought maybe rain had gotten in through the windshield but it hasnt rained here in weeks. Anyone have ideas or can lead me to some good wiring diagrams I can read this weekend?

I would start with a check of the battery voltage when the car is running. If the DC voltage is good (about 14 volts), then check for AC voltage. If there is detectable AC, then a diode in your alternator has probably shorted. If the DC voltage is low, then you have a charging system failure (alternator or wiring).

Battery voltage was 13.9v, Alternator was 13.57v. I'd imagine it more of a grounding issue if everything in the dash is acting weird. Or some weird circuit that they all run off of.

Side note: The climate control works fine now. It just doesn't save the presets from the last ignition. Everything else is still an issue

Well after minor detective work, I found a fuse that powered the Air Bag, Power Antenna, EATC, Warning Light Bank, CD Changer, Radio, and Message Center. It was blown. Everything works now, but the radio. Guessing that's what blew the fuse. It's Fuse #16 on the interior fuse panel if anyone needs to learn this lesson quicker than me.

Always check your fuses first!

Members online

No members online now.
Back