Best selling venue in 2021

mkc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Will be listing the LS for sale shortly (we simply don't need 3 vehicles and the other two are more practical).

In the past, we haven't had much concern regarding private sale. Hoping for some guidance given the current environment (scammers, strangers, safe practices, etc.). It's been over a decade since we sold a vehicle privately.

Will be listing the LS for sale shortly (we simply don't need 3 vehicles and the other two are more practical).

In the past, we haven't had much concern regarding private sale. Hoping for some guidance given the current environment (scammers, strangers, safe practices, etc.). It's been over a decade since we sold a vehicle privately.
Facebook marketplace is a good place but be sure to meet in a public place at not at your house. And Cash only!

I bought my LS off of Craigslist. I don't have Facebook.

What about handling test drives? I would expect going with the person, but is it okay to require they wear a mask?

That's your choice, your car your rules. The guy I bought mine from didn't wear a mask or come with me on the test drive, but I left my $40,000 truck in his driveway to test drive his $1000 trashed Lincoln so he knew I was coming back.

People around here are mostly over the covid mask wearing BS, most people have had it already and have had less symptoms than the common cold so they aren't buying the BS anymore. healthy people don't have many problems with covid, but if you have pre-existing conditions and or are unhealthy, never go outside and have low levels of vitamin D you might want to still worry about it. It does affect unhealthy people with existing problems in worse ways. We still have a few people that walk down the street by themselves or driving in their cars alone wearing their masks still though, takes all kinds to make the world go around, LOL

If the person interested isn't willing to meet at your local Police station... that might be a warning sign.

Also... even then don't meet alone. Bring someone else with you.... and stay in populated areas if possible.

Basically the same rules for any Craigslist transaction.

I would require a mask for anyone doing the test drive. You never know who someone came into contact with a day or 2 before.

I had that happen to me a few months ago. I had borrowed my Ex's vehicle for a couple days... and during that time came into conntact with someone who had full blown Covid.

As soon as I found out... I warned my Ex... and she "sanitized" the whole vehicle.

Last edited:
If the person interested isn't willing to meet at your local Police station... that might be a warning sign.

Also... even then don't meet alone. Bring someone else with you.... and stay in populated areas if possible.

Basically the same rules for any Craigslist transaction.

I would require a mask for anyone doing the test drive. You never know who someone came into contact with a day or 2 before.

Thanks for the confirmation on several items. I'm still pondering the logistics and what would be involved.

I did do a "test quote" from the closest CarMax this evening and am considering that as well. I didn't realize there was one about an hour away, and that may be the lowest hassle option.

Thanks for the confirmation on several items. I'm still pondering the logistics and what would be involved.

I did do a "test quote" from the closest CarMax this evening and am considering that as well. I didn't realize there was one about an hour away, and that may be the lowest hassle option.
CarMax is a bunch of scammers, they'll give you a low estimate because they try to steal vehicles from people and resell without doing any work to them. I had mine appraised at Ford which appraised it for like 1000 bucks and then I had it appraised CarMax and they appraised it for 400 bucks(after I had just put $1000 in parts into it, lol). Those guys are clowns and crooks and I wouldn't go by anything they say. FYI.

CarMax is a bunch of scammers, they'll give you a low estimate because they try to steal vehicles from people and resell without doing any work to them. I had mine appraised at Ford which appraised it for like 1000 bucks and then I had it appraised CarMax and they appraised it for 400 bucks(after I had just put $1000 in parts into it, lol).

Might be an apples to oranges comparison, depending on the vehicle and the region. My CarMax quote is for $3000, it's a one-owner, low-mileage LS. The Ford dealer may have appraised higher thinking you were going to trade in (there are always trade-in "bonus" specials being offered around here, and they start at an extra $1000).

Might be an apples to oranges comparison, depending on the vehicle and the region. My CarMax quote is for $3000, it's a one-owner, low-mileage LS. The Ford dealer may have appraised higher thinking you were going to trade in (there are always trade-in "bonus" specials being offered around here, and they start at an extra $1000).
I told them ford wasn't trading, and while I was at CarMax like 3 or 4 people who bought cars there came in complaining about things they hadn't fixed in multiple visits. Plus I literally just put $1000 in new parts into it not counting labor and they came back with $400 so I got a very bad impression of them. I might have almost believed the 400$ before I put the new parts on though, it was pretty rough when I first bought it. I am in Vegas however, I think there's more shady scammers here than anywhere else so they might be better wherever you live. I just know that I personally am never buying or selling a car through CarMax, but that's where I'm always going for an appraisal when trying to save money on DMV taxes, haha!

Facebook marketplace. I've sold two cars on there in the last year, both in a day. The used car market is hot right now so you should be able to start at the higher side of pricing and still sell quickly. Just be prepared for the typical nonsense, like getting low offers without any dialog. I actually had a couple "copy/paste" notes that I used to respond to things like that, it saved a lot of time.

I have had positive experiences with CarMax. They did quite a bit on one of the cars I bought from them making it right. They are not bad to sell a car to if it is six years or less and less than 100K miles. Any car the age of the LS is just a give away to them. They will resell it to an employee or whole sell it.

And if a person puts $3000... into a $1000 car... it's still only a $1000 car. There's a definition for that.

From.Google

*diminishing returns
  1. proportionally smaller profits or benefits derived from something as more money or energy is invested in it."
Nothing wrong with putting more $$$ into a car than it's worth... as long as a person plans on "driving the wheels off it" Doesn't help with trade in or sale though.

FB Marketplace is the new craigslist, private sale will get you more money than business entities since businesses will want to make a profit from you somehow. List slightly above your price and negotiate when they see it in person

Any car that actually runs and drives is worth at least a grand id say. I'll buy them for $400 all day long, how many you got? Lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back