Climate Control unit (in Dash)

j_nye3

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This darn Climate control unit (or A/C-heater switch) suddenly failed (went Dark) while driving the other day...Then a few small plumes of smoke, and burnt wire smell.

Looks like I have to start at the console and work up to remove it.
A few options avail, but think I figured out the part to order.
No Salvage yard love near me, and Not replaced yet.

A few days later the engine fan starts running at turbo speed seems intermittent.
Today, Engine almost overheats within 15 minutes.

Could these be related or double (or triple) whammy of known issues?

Doesn't look like I have a coolant leak (yet)
Level looks Ok, and haven't opened the system.

Any thoughts or advice?

2004 LS V8 124k - had her since last year with no issues

It could be related, but it probably isn't. The DATC is the module you are looking for. Any from 2003 to 2006 should work, but avoid 2003 if you can. If you have heated/cooled seats, then you need a DATC from a car with heated cooled seats. If you don't then the DATC has to be from a car without as well.

Got it, thanks!
Should have one by Saturday (w/ heated seats)

Darn thing did it again today after about 15 minutes (to the store, idling while inside, then back)
Just beyond 1/2 (normal) on the temp gauge queues the fan
Gauge keeps rising (on my way back now)
At about 3/4 I dropped it in Neutral and shut her off (coasting as far as I could)
Then start her up and drove another 1/4 mile to home
Parked and idle for 3-5 minutes
Seemed ok, but shoulda let it fully cycle again

Is there a better test, or method to isolate, or you still think just DATC?

...Is there a better test, or method to isolate, or you still think just DATC?

No, sorry I wasn't clear. I do not believe the overheating is related to the DATC. I'm sure that it is the same issue as with every other gen II V8. The plastic cooling system parts have degraded and air is getting sucked in the microcracks in the plastic. The only solution is to replace all the plastic parts, all at the same time.

Definitive GEN 2 Cooling System Thread

GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

REPLACE YOUR COOLING SYSTEM - 2004 Fun and Easy Steps

Yeah, I found this site when I was thinking of picking her up last year and kinda knew what I was in for and thought I was living a charmed life until now.
See you posting all over, so thanks for what you do!

Yeah, I found this site when I was thinking of picking her up last year and kinda knew what I was in for and thought I was living a charmed life until now.
See you posting all over, so thanks for what you do!
Yes he's right too, I replaced all mine one at a time and ended up doing them all anyway, however it's a pretty big bill if you do it all at once. Don't get aftermarket crap either, I got a couple non motorcraft parts and the aux pump failed within a week so I had to get a motorcraft one.

Update/Question...
I just got done running her temp up in the driveway, and all looks dry.
She was a quart low, but same result.
Hose on one side of the thermostat warms up, but not the one on the other side.
So, I think that tells me to change the Thermostat?
Can only find one with the housing (aftermarket).
Is there a gasket i need for that housing too? I only see a seal listed.

Thanks Much!

Update/Question...
I just got done running her temp up in the driveway, and all looks dry.
She was a quart low, but same result.
Hose on one side of the thermostat warms up, but not the one on the other side.
So, I think that tells me to change the Thermostat?
Can only find one with the housing (aftermarket).
Is there a gasket i need for that housing too? I only see a seal listed.

Thanks Much!

Yes, the thermostat is one of the parts listed in the threads that I linked above. If you are thinking thermostat only, then you are in for a world of pain as you replace everything one by one. Air from those micro cracks I mentioned stops coolant flow. It's that, not the thermostat. (Still the thermostat and its housing has to be replaced too. You must use the Motorcraft parts, unless you like the overheating that the aftermarket ones cause). Also note, coolant low = coolant leaking even though it is being evaporated before you see it.

Hey, what does the Aux pump and/or DCCV do... just curious

Found a overflow container off a V6 w/ 50k on it for $50, so fingers crossed and picking up tomorrow.
Thermostat housing off, and found a small piece in there behind it that looked like maybe off a water pump prop blade so pulled that too.

Still appreciating you guys!!

Yeah, you're still not listening.
That piece you found is likely from the crossover assembly, not the water pump.
You really must replace everything, like in the links I gave you. I can see where this one is going now and I feel badly about it.

That used degas bottle will be cracked!

The aux pump is mainly for coolant flow to the heater cores at idle, but also has some function to help engine cool down after shutdown.
The DCCV controls the temperature out of the climate control by controlling how much coolant goes through each of the heater cores.

I am, and making progress.
prepared to swing and miss on the container i guess
Should i be concerned about this crossover assembly, whatever its function, as well... or did i miss that being on the list?

...Should i be concerned about this crossover assembly too?

Yes, very much so.
It sounds like your plan is to do it a piece at a time.
You replace one or two parts, maybe the worse ones. Now the system can pressurize (maybe not completely, but more than before) and the next weakest part failed drastically. You'll waste a lot of labor, a lot of coolant, and risk engine damage doing it this way.

Yup... it's not just a matter of miles on used coolant parts, but age also. Plan on replacing everything to the tune of $800-1000 using factory parts. Do it all at once, and you will get 6-7 years out of it... and DON'T use aftermarket parts.

At 124k.... you ARE due for a full cooling system rebuild.

That used degas bottle may only have 50k on it... but if it's 5-6 years old you are only going to get a year or 2 out of it. Maybe.

My LS went 130k on the original factory parts from the time of being new. The second set of parts lasted about 100k... because I drove less.

I'm now on my 3rd full cooling system rebuild. If my LS makes it to 300k miles, (only 70k on the cooling system then), I will be thrilled.

Age of parts... is just as important as the milage on them.

Back to my original post...
Need just a plastic pry bar, phillips screw driver, 7mm, 8mm sockets to get the bracket that holds the stereo and DATC in/out. Now she blows again!

IMG_7133.JPEG

IMG_7131.JPEG

IMG_7129.JPEG

IMG_7134.JPEG

Thermostat and Water pump got me back on the road for now btw.
Next time, i'll have the right hose clamp tool and a MUCH higher comfort level.
Already started a sinking (savings) fund for when I do the who9le thing!

Then, this evening of all the luck...
This girl changes lanes right into me

Her Insurance is paying to fix my bad car wash experience too... I hope!

IMG_7147.JPEG

IMG_7149.JPEG

Ooh, how can you tell when this goes?
I bought a cheap aftermarket aux pump and it started blowing my fuse, the aux pump the air conditioner compressor and the DCCV are all on the same 10 amp fuse.

Members online

No members online now.
Back