03 Lincoln LS V8 Issues! ETC Failsafe and Check Transmission warnings and others

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Today my car went nuts. I was in the driveway and suddenly the ABS light, Advancetrac light, and parking brake light came on out of nowhere and when I tried to drive the car went into ETC failsafe mode and the check transmission warning came up on the message center. Any ideas on what could be going on? Also, I will note that when driving now the speedometer does not work at all but the RPM gauge works. Obviously I am not going to go driving it now like it is but it was something noticed.

158761901_745700503007750_3592692349307219415_n.png
159004419_348321043162446_3887263137930308741_n.png
159163786_145958543986281_1549698793237900119_n.png
160242364_486856729006318_317755681996536734_n.png
160515023_251853936584397_5415403766397371558_n.png

Last edited:
From some of the stuff I saw online it said this could be a ABS module issue. If that sounds correct to anyone I will have that changed next week and reprogram it once I pick up the car and see if that helps at all. I do remember having to re-flash this ABS module already once so to me it's already kinda suspect which is why I ordered that replacement to have on hand for when that module completely failed.

Edit:
I went out and swapped the module out and left out the bottom bolt on the fuse box, for now, in case I have to change it out ever again with a new one instead of a used one. All the codes went away and all is working again after changing the module! So maybe I got lucky and this was the cause because no matter what I did before changing the module didn't help and keep any of them codes away. Now she is driving like a dream again and no warnings!

Last edited:
The only thing that worries me though is that ECU fault. Was it coincidental that changing the ABS module and flashing it fixed my issues? That B1342 is what worried me. I did check the voltage on this almost brand new OEM battery and all was within the normal specs on that. So not really worried about the Generator at this time on that. With all the strangeness this car seems to have is it a bad idea to send off the PCM and have it refurbished? I had loads of other codes that came up today when all this went down but I forgot to screenshot them and they were not speed-related like most of these were. The pics I showed were just what I did take screenshots of. Now all I am seeing is U1262 in two places and none of the other codes are there.

B1342 was an internal fault of the ABS module. You replaced the defective module, so that went away. Is the fact that Forscan calls it an ECU (Electronic Control Unit) causing you to think it is something other than the ABS module? The ABS module is a specific ECU, just as the FEM, REM, Cluster, DDM, PCM, etc. are other specific ECUs.

B1342 was an internal fault of the ABS module. You replaced the defective module, so that went away. Is the fact that Forscan calls it an ECU (Electronic Control Unit) causing you to think it is something other than the ABS module? The ABS module is a specific ECU, just as the FEM, REM, Cluster, DDM, PCM, etc. are other specific ECUs.
OK, thanks I guess it was how the scan tool worded it that had me scared.

Could it be as simple as a VSS problem? Looks like it might not be hooked up?
Just a guess.

Could it be as simple as a VSS problem? Looks like it might not be hooked up?
Just a guess.
???
Are you thinking there is a VSS wire in the LS?
VSS information travels on the data bus along with a bunch of other stuff.*
The ABS module generates the VSS data from the wheel speed sensors.

*: The THX navigation actually does use a discrete VSS wire from the ABS unit, but it's the only thing that does.

I ended up seeing another code after the fact almost a week later. U1040 in the parking brake module. So I went ahead and grabbed a parking brake module, Front end electronics module, and a rear electronics module from a 2006 LS that had 47K miles on it since this thing seems to be randomly having so many issues! I am pretty sure all I need to change in this instance is the parking brake module. But being I keep seeing so many random things I say it's not a bad idea to have these other parts for spares.

I ended up seeing another code after the fact almost a week later. U1040 in the parking brake module. So I went ahead and grabbed a parking brake module, Front end electronics module, and a rear electronics module from a 2006 LS that had 47K miles on it since this thing seems to be randomly having so many issues! I am pretty sure all I need to change in this instance is the parking brake module. But being I keep seeing so many random things I say it's not a bad idea to have these other parts for spares.
Wonder if you got a flood car since it had such low miles and so many problems, see any signs of water damage anywhere?

Wonder if you got a flood car since it had such low miles and so many problems, see any signs of water damage anywhere?
I have wondered the same thing but I can't see any signs of water stains or rust or anything.

And being things are funky I think I am going to go ahead and have her tuned up and use these brand new oem coil packs that I have sitting around the house. Cause I know when them CoP's actually fail it will cause problems as well.

Been thinking about this a bit.

Since you have been having issues with the TS switch... and I think Joe mentioned something above about the switch running through the cluster... I'm wondering if you have a cluster issue???

Maybe sombody had it out at one point?

Been thinking about this a bit.

Since you have been having issues with the TS switch... and I think Joe mentioned something above about the switch running through the cluster... I'm wondering if you have a cluster issue???

Maybe sombody had it out at one point?
I am starting to wonder if that is the case as well. I keep seeing random codes even for the headlight switch and I have replaced that with a brand new part. I did run forscan tests on everything and all seems to pass but I am suspecting it's missing the problem. My replacement Front end electronics module, the rear-end electronics module, and the parking brake module are coming today in the mail.

I am gonna go ahead and change everything but the front module cause I can't get to that one so easily as I just had surgery on my stomach last week so I will save that for my mechanic on Tuesday which I am having the spark plugs, COPS and the valve covers changed out for my preventive maintenance and having the rear wheel knuckles and hubs changed along with the brakes.

I suspect if it's not the Instrument cluster then it's the front end electronics module cause all the random codes that I have been seeing all say suspect lighting control module and if I am not mistaken that is the front end electronics module. I ordered all these parts from a 2006 LS that had 47K miles on it so hoping I got some good parts!

Today I decided to go ahead and change out the parking brake module and the rear end module and I got rid of one of the u1262s. Then I toughed it out and boy was it tough after a stomach surgery but I managed to change out that front end module as well and the last u1262 went away. I know it's possible that it comes back but it has never stayed away this long. Before I could clear the codes and within one key cycle, they always came back both u1262's. After about 10 cycles and a drive, no codes at all are showing up now. I am really hoping this solved my issues but if not I guess I have at least 2 spare modules to throw in my parts bin.

This is exactly why I will never touch a 2003 with a ten foot pole ...I've had 1- 2001 2-2002 and 1-2006 but my instincts have always told me to stay away from the 2003 ...why...first of the 2nd Generations ...the Ginny pig of the bunch is my guess ...by 2002 I can see the difference from the 2001 in so many ways just as by 2006 they worked out a lot of the issues of the 2003

This is exactly why I will never touch a 2003 with a ten foot pole ...I've had 1- 2001 2-2002 and 1-2006 but my instincts have always told me to stay away from the 2003 ...why...first of the 2nd Generations ...the Ginny pig of the bunch is my guess ...by 2002 I can see the difference from the 2001 in so many ways just as by 2006 they worked out a lot of the issues of the 2003
And I agree with you so much that every part that I replace in this 2003 will be with a 2006 part where possible! So far every module I have replaced has come from a 2006 LS and it has worked! And didn't even have to reprogram the front electronics module, rear electronics module, and the parking brake module! And after Tuesday she will have brand new valve covers, coil pack covers, brand new OEM COP's and spark plugs. And brand new rear wheel hubs and knuckles and new rear brakes and drilled and slotted rotors.

Members online

Back